Formation riding

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by ganderctr, Jan 4, 2005.

1. ganderctr

ganderctr New Member

When riding with one or more people I've had a problem staying close to people in front of me, not because they're going too fast but because I never feel very comfortable getting any closer than 2-3 feet away. I also have the same problem riding in double lines: I have problems staying close to someone else. None of this seems to be an issue when I'm riding solo: I can maintain a constant speed and stay laterally within a few inches of where I'd like to be, but in groups I can't bring my formations in any tighter. Any suggestions?

Tags:

2. Steve P

Steve P New Member

I think you're just scared of crashing. It takes some time to get used to riding in a group or in a pack. You just have to do it more often and eventually you'll get more comfortable in it. Practice riding in pace lines and do group rides and eventually you'll get more comfortable with it and it won't be a problem.

3. dhk

dhk New Member

Agree practice is needed to get comfortable in packs. Also suggest you warn the rider in front that you're getting on his wheel; some people just don't want to have another rider back there. And avoid the squirells.....riders who will sit up abruptly, swerve, or refuse to hold a speed even when they know someone is on their wheel.

4. ed073

ed073 New Member

Experience is the key here. Race and train in groups as much as possible. Also, try not to fixate on the hub or wheel of the rider in front.....it can have a bit of a hypnotic effect and you don't react as fast. Watch the small of the back of the rider in front.

5. rob of the og

rob of the og New Member

I was taught to aim for the rear mech of the rider in front so that there's a slight off-set of your wheels. That way as the gap opens and closes you just slightly overlap the wheel without any risk of touching.

6. ed073

ed073 New Member

Nothing wrong with that.