Formation riding

ganderctr

Dec 9, 2004
When riding with one or more people I've had a problem staying close to people in front of me, not because they're going too fast but because I never feel very comfortable getting any closer than 2-3 feet away. I also have the same problem riding in double lines: I have problems staying close to someone else. None of this seems to be an issue when I'm riding solo: I can maintain a constant speed and stay laterally within a few inches of where I'd like to be, but in groups I can't bring my formations in any tighter. Any suggestions?

I think you're just scared of crashing. It takes some time to get used to riding in a group or in a pack. You just have to do it more often and eventually you'll get more comfortable in it. Practice riding in pace lines and do group rides and eventually you'll get more comfortable with it and it won't be a problem.

Agree practice is needed to get comfortable in packs. Also suggest you warn the rider in front that you're getting on his wheel; some people just don't want to have another rider back there. And avoid the squirells.....riders who will sit up abruptly, swerve, or refuse to hold a speed even when they know someone is on their wheel.

ganderctr said:
When riding with one or more people I've had a problem staying close to people in front of me, not because they're going too fast but because I never feel very comfortable getting any closer than 2-3 feet away. I also have the same problem riding in double lines: I have problems staying close to someone else. None of this seems to be an issue when I'm riding solo: I can maintain a constant speed and stay laterally within a few inches of where I'd like to be, but in groups I can't bring my formations in any tighter. Any suggestions?

Experience is the key here. Race and train in groups as much as possible. Also, try not to fixate on the hub or wheel of the rider in front.....it can have a bit of a hypnotic effect and you don't react as fast. Watch the small of the back of the rider in front.

ed073 said:
Experience is the key here. Race and train in groups as much as possible. Also, try not to fixate on the hub or wheel of the rider in front.....it can have a bit of a hypnotic effect and you don't react as fast. Watch the small of the back of the rider in front.

I was taught to aim for the rear mech of the rider in front so that there's a slight off-set of your wheels. That way as the gap opens and closes you just slightly overlap the wheel without any risk of touching.

rob of the og said:
I was taught to aim for the rear mech of the rider in front so that there's a slight off-set of your wheels. That way as the gap opens and closes you just slightly overlap the wheel without any risk of touching.

Nothing wrong with that.