former bike shop

Claire Petersky

Guest
Yesterday, I went to my former bike shop. I bought my first
roadie shoes there, my first bicycle computer, and my first
SPD pedals, and they did lots of work on my bike for a
while. But the one decent guy who worked there left, and I
didn't see much reason to remain as their customer.

My reasons for not being their customer any more was
underscored when I went in to the bike shop. The only
reason why I was in there was I had business at another
store in the strip mall, and I thought I'd stop by. So I
did -- why not?

Three employees were sitting around (literally -- in folding
chairs, in the center of the store) talking to each other. I
came in, and headed to their more expensive road bikes. I
fingered the merchandise, and talked to my daughter about
what I'd be interested in, in a new bike. I went over to the
clothing, and rummaged through the 30% off on all 2003 bike
clothes rack. I peered into the case at the counter.

Never once did anyone greet me, ask what I might be
interested in, try to sell me a bike, clothes, or
accessories. For that matter, considering that probably two
of them were wrenches, were any of them working on bikes.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato
and .net for .com Home of the meditative cyclist:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm See the
books I've set free at:

Claire Petersky wrote:

>Yesterday, I went to my former bike shop. I bought my first
>roadie shoes there, my first bicycle computer, and my first
>SPD pedals, and they did lots of work on my bike for a
>while. But the one decent guy who worked there left, and I
>didn't see much reason to remain as their customer.
>
>My reasons for not being their customer any more was
>underscored when I went in to the bike shop. The only
>reason why I was in there was I had business at another
>store in the strip mall, and I thought I'd stop by. So I
>did -- why not?
>
>Three employees were sitting around (literally -- in
>folding chairs, in the center of the store) talking to each
>other. I came in, and headed to their more expensive road
>bikes. I fingered the merchandise, and talked to my
>daughter about what I'd be interested in, in a new bike. I
>went over to the clothing, and rummaged through the 30% off
>on all 2003 bike clothes rack. I peered into the case at
>the counter.
>
>Never once did anyone greet me, ask what I might be
>interested in, try to sell me a bike, clothes, or
>accessories. For that matter, considering that probably two
>of them were wrenches, were any of them working on bikes.

Your accoutn tells a tale... Bernie

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 03:12:54 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Never once did anyone greet me, ask what I might be
>interested in, try to sell me a bike, clothes, or
>accessories. For that matter, considering that probably two
>of them were wrenches, were any of them working on bikes.

They, umm, didn't want to...bother you. Yeah, that's
the ticket!
--
Rick Onanian

Tue, 01 Jun 2004 03:12:54 GMT, <VuSuc.34729$n_6.5249@attbi_s53>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

>But the one decent guy who worked there left, and I didn't
>see much reason to remain as their customer.

Find out where he's working now. Hairdressers, mechanics,
plumbers, chefs etc. often keep _their_ clients after
changing employers.
--
zk

In <VuSuc.34729$n_6.5249@attbi_s53>, Claire Petersky wrote:

> Never once did anyone greet me, ask what I might be
> interested in, try to sell me a bike, clothes, or
> accessories.

Strangely enough, this is what I prefer. I don't actually
want someone to try to sell me anything that I haven't come
in to buy. I usually just want to conduct my business in the
most efficient way possible, and to be left alone if I
haven't asked for anything.

For me, the test comes when I actually need help: if I ask
for help and it seems like I am bothering the sales staff or
if they are going to treat me like a fred or whatnot, then
that's my signal to not come back.

> For that matter, considering that probably two of them
> were wrenches, were any of them working on bikes.

I guess the place isn't a sweatshop, but if you've had bad
experiences with long service times before then I can see
your point.

--
Herbie J. Famous Curator

According to Claire Petersky <[email protected]>:

>Never once did anyone greet me, ask what I might be
>interested in, try to sell me a bike, clothes, or
>accessories. For that matter, considering that probably two
>of them were wrenches, were any of them working on bikes.

You'd rather they were breathing down your neck sparring
with one another for the measly 1% commission that some
shops pay? That sounds miserable.

I'm sure if you asked for help they would have been happy to
talk bikes with you.

----
Lars Lehtonen

On 1 Jun 2004 08:12:15 GMT, Lars Lehtonen <[email protected]>
wrote:

>You'd rather they were breathing down your neck sparring
>with one another for the measly 1% commission that some
>shops pay? That sounds miserable.
>
>I'm sure if you asked for help they would have been happy
>to talk bikes with you.

There is certainly room in between, as in one coming over
and asking if they needed any help in locating what they are
looking for. Whatever the commission may be is irrelevant -
if they are unhappy with what they are paid, they can try a
place that expects them to work.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
two wheels...

wrote:
>You'd rather they were breathing down your neck sparring
>with one another for the measly 1% commission that some
>shops pay? That sounds miserable.

A simple "Is there anything I can help you with?" is a
good balance.
--
Rick Onanian

"Lars Lehtonen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> According to Claire Petersky <[email protected]>:
>
> >Never once did anyone greet me, ask what I might be
> >interested in, try to sell me a bike, clothes, or
> >accessories. For that matter, considering that
> >probably two of them were wrenches, were any of them
> >working on bikes.
>
> You'd rather they were breathing down your neck sparring
> with one another for the measly 1% commission that some
> shops pay? That sounds miserable.

Having worked retail, what I would have done was: hauled my
bulk out of my folding chair, turned to the shopper, and
said something like: "looking at those Treks? Need any
help?" If the person replied something like, "no, just
browsing", then I'd say, "OK, just let me know if you need
anything", and then settled myself back down on my folding
chair. This isn't breathing down necks, this is
acknowledging the presence of another human being.

I also suspect, but have no evidence for, that strikes
against me were my age, and me looking at road bikes. Being
female was also probably against me, too, as I was therefore
not to be taken seriously -- although probably a

respect.

> I'm sure if you asked for help they would have been happy
> to talk bikes with you.

Nah, they were too busy talking amongst themselves. I didn't
want to interrupt them.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato
and .net for .com Home of the meditative cyclist:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm See the
books I've set free at:

Claire:

While I understand and respect the opinions of others who
have replied, I also understand exactly what you mean. It
isn't just bike shops, though. If storeowners only knew how
much business they lose by hiring unknowledgeable sales
people who are afraid to approach customers, they would
probably shape up pretty fast.

I constantly walk out of stores with money burning a hole in
my pocket. One day recently, I had $3,000 to spend on a
laptop computer that I absolutely needed the very next day.
I walked into a well-known national mega computer chain
store and found three young salespeople gathered around a
23" monitor playing a video game. I told them I needed to
buy a laptop in a hurry and that it was my first time buying
one. Without looking up from the screen, two of them pointed
me to the aisle with the laptops and one said "The laptops
are over there." Needless to say, I walked out after two
minutes of trying to sell myself a laptop.

Even more recently, I walked into my neighborhood bike shop
on a Sunday to buy my wife the brand new bicycle I'd been
promising her forever. We're both really busy and this was
the only time we could arrange to shop for the bike
together. Again, the money was in my pocket and there was no
way we weren't buying a bike that day. Well, it was Sunday,
and the owner, whom I know very well and really wanted to
give the business, decided to take the day off and leave two
high school kids running the store. My wife and I walked in
and started fumbling our way through the hundreds of bikes
on display. I even pulled a few from the racks to size her
up. In all the time we were shopping, the two kids at the
counter never even looked up from their conversation about
"hot chicks." When I asked if one could help, his response
was "What are you looking for?" I told him "A bike for my
wife." "What kind?" he replied. "Probably a hybrid." I said.
"What size?" he asked. "I'm not sure...she needs to be sized
up." He then brought my wife to the closest female hybrid in
the showroom, asked her to get on, then asked "Does THAT
feel like the right size?" We bought my wife's bike
somewhere else.

This happens to me all the time, and I've made a habit of
skipping out of stores that do this to me. I guess I'm just
getting old. I used to like to be left alone when I was
shopping, but that was when I was young and thought I knew
more about everything than anybody. Now that I'm older and
realize I'm not so smart, I need to be "sold" by
salesperson before I'll buy anything. My final example is
the $150,000 home renovation for which my wife and I are
trying to book contractors, designers, and architects. Highly-
recommended tradespeople of all sorts have been escorted
out our door for making the same mistake: They ask us "what
we want" and tell us "they'll do whatever we want." We've
made it clear to all these people that we need guidance,
that we've never done this before and we need input from
experienced professionals. Still, they come to the house
and get frustrated if we don't know whether we want flush
beams or soffits in our kitchen. The first kitchen designer
who said to us "This is what you do and here's why" got a
big gig out of us.

I think store owners should take this as a warning. The
biggest reason people still shop in retail stores,
rather than buying things cheaper online, is for the
interaction with knowledgeable salespeople who can guide
us through the selection and buying process. Once that
benefit is eliminated, we might as well all buy blindly
via the Internet.

."Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:VuSuc.34729$n_6.5249@attbi_s53...
> Yesterday, I went to my former bike shop. I bought my
> first roadie shoes there, my first bicycle computer, and
> my first SPD pedals, and they did
lots
> of work on my bike for a while. But the one decent guy who
> worked there left, and I didn't see much reason to remain
> as their customer.
>
> My reasons for not being their customer any more was
> underscored when I
went
> in to the bike shop. The only reason why I was in there
> was I had business at another store in the strip mall, and
> I thought I'd stop by. So I did -- why not?
>
> Three employees were sitting around (literally -- in
> folding chairs, in
the
> center of the store) talking to each other. I came in, and
> headed to their more expensive road bikes. I fingered the
> merchandise, and talked to my daughter about what I'd be
> interested in, in a new bike. I went over to
the
> clothing, and rummaged through the 30% off on all 2003
> bike clothes rack.
> peered into the case at the counter.
>
> Never once did anyone greet me, ask what I might be
> interested in, try to sell me a bike, clothes, or
> accessories. For that matter, considering that
> probably two of them were wrenches, were any of them
> working on bikes.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato
> and .net for .com Home of the meditative cyclist:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm See the
> books I've set free at:
> http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

news:[email protected]...
:
: A simple "Is there anything I can help you with?" is a
good balance.
: --
: Rick Onanian

Better (IMHO)--from the retailer's perspective--is any
question NOT readily answered "yes" or "no."

"What kind of cycling are you into?"

"Ah, Cannondales. Good choice. What type of bike do you
have now?"

"Looking for a bike for yourself or for somebody else?"

...etc., etc. Get the customer talking. They'll tell you
what they want . . . even if it's just to be left alone ;-)

Sorry, Claire. Welcome to retail!

Claire Petersky wrote:

> Having worked retail, what I would have done was: hauled
> my bulk out of my folding chair, turned to the shopper,
> and said something like: "looking at those Treks? Need any
> help?" If the person replied something like, "no, just
> browsing", then I'd say, "OK, just let me know if you need
> anything", and then settled myself back down on my folding
> chair. This isn't breathing down necks, this is
> acknowledging the presence of another human being.
>
> I also suspect, but have no evidence for, that strikes
> against me were my age, and me looking at road bikes.
> Being female was also probably against me, too, as I was
> therefore not to be taken

> might have gotten some attention, if not respect.
>
>> I'm sure if you asked for help they would have been happy
>> to talk bikes with you.
>
> Nah, they were too busy talking amongst themselves. I
> didn't want to interrupt them.

As a business owner, I've always felt empathy or comraderie
with other business owners. In the past I might have let the
owner/manager know about my experience. But it seems just as
many of them have bad attitudes too. So these days, I just
let people dig their own graves, and hope someone better
steps in to fill the void. Unfortunately, many small
businesses are immune to normal market forces -- daddy owns
the building, etc. And if a location is good enough, repeat
business may not be an issue -- note how many really crappy
restaurants seem to hang on for decades.

Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:
> Tue, 01 Jun 2004 03:12:54 GMT,
> <VuSuc.34729$n_6.5249@attbi_s53>, "Claire Petersky" <cpetersky@mouse-
> potato.com> wrote:
>
>>But the one decent guy who worked there left, and I didn't
>>see much reason to remain as their customer.
>
> Find out where he's working now. Hairdressers, mechanics,
> plumbers, chefs etc. often keep _their_ clients after
> changing employers.

Chinese restaurants are like that too, but it's a task to
keep track of which cooks are working where.

My usual tactic to get service is to look like a shoplifter.
Although sometimes I've come close to having to push the
button on the till that opens the cash drawer and makes the
bell ring, to get any attention.

Flashing a big wad of cash sometimes works, too.

cheers, Tom