former bike shop

According to Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]>:
>Claire: You were a victim of one of the most maddening
>things to a bike shop owner... clumping. That's what I call
>it when the employees get together and talk amongst
>themselves, instead of taking care of customers.

[shop employee case study snipped]

>Customers... egad, it's only an hour until closing, what if
>they want to buy a $2,000 bike with $500 worth of
>accessories, causing me to miss my 8pm show on TV?

If the employee isn't on commission, what's the difference
between helping a customer pick out saddles and helping a
customer pick out a boutique bike?

If the employees are on commission and don't care about a
$2,000 sale, then the commission isn't high enough. I
worked at a shop where the sales staff made 1% on bikes,
and IIRC 2% on accessories. That was a real slap when
anyone who walked in the door and mentioned "spinning
class" or "Aids Ride" could swing a 15% discount. I'm sure
the manufacturer's reps were taking home more per bike
than I was.

Employees shouldn't have to miss TV shows for you. They
can't be faulted if you haven't made it worth their while to
buy a Tivo and stick around to close deals.

---
Lars Lehtonen

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> Claire:
>
> I'm expanding your fame & notoriety; I've taken your
> original post, as well as a few clips from some of the follow-
> ups, and posted them to the NBDA (National Bicycle Dealer
> Association) email list. Hopefully, it will have a
> positive effect on the retail environment with at least a
> few dealers.

And some people think we are wasting our time on the
usenet...........Like it has nothing to do with the
real world.
--
Perre

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:43:14 -0700, [email protected]
> (Tom Keats) wrote:
> >Flashing a big wad of cash sometimes works, too.
>
> Doesn't work in one Warwick, RI store. On more than one
> occasions, I've stood unattended for ten or twenty minutes
> at the cash register with cash visible in one hand and
> something I want to purchase in the other. I'd say this is
> my experience for at least 40% of my visits there.
> --
> Rick Onanian

What do you expect? Its Warwick after all.

...and you keep going there???

HAND

--
"Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 04:25:54 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Claire:
>
>I'm expanding your fame & notoriety; I've taken your
>original post, as well as a few clips from some of the follow-
>ups, and posted them to the NBDA (National Bicycle Dealer
>Association) email list. Hopefully, it will have a
>positive effect on the retail environment with at least a
>few dealers.
>
>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Well, if you're posting things that customers -really-
despise, here's one.

You're serious about buying a bike and it's just about ready
for you to test ride, and new customers come into the store
as the guy who is helping you cuts you off mid-sentence to
go help the new customer, time and time again!!

I had to ask the guy 4 times to realign the handlebars and
check the air in the tires each time he was distracted by,
IMO, non-serious browsers.

Jeeze, he had a sale and a serious customer - why **** them
off like that in favor of catering to someone browsing.

It seemed like since he -knew- I was buying, he didn't have
to give me any attention.

Now once I did get his attention, he did what I asked (after
my insistence), and checked the -actual- tire pressure
needed ("oops, it -is- 100psi; I just put in 85").

Thanks again to Mike for his list of things to insist upon
at test ride! <g>

-Badger

Originally posted by Claire Petersky
Yesterday, I went to my former bike shop. I bought my first
roadie shoes there, my first bicycle computer, and my first
SPD pedals, and they did lots of work on my bike for a
while. But the one decent guy who worked there left, and I
didn't see much reason to remain as their customer.

My reasons for not being their customer any more was
underscored when I went in to the bike shop. The only
reason why I was in there was I had business at another
store in the strip mall, and I thought I'd stop by. So I
did -- why not?

Three employees were sitting around (literally -- in folding
chairs, in the center of the store) talking to each other. I
came in, and headed to their more expensive road bikes. I
fingered the merchandise, and talked to my daughter about
what I'd be interested in, in a new bike. I went over to the
clothing, and rummaged through the 30% off on all 2003 bike
clothes rack. I peered into the case at the counter.

Never once did anyone greet me, ask what I might be
interested in, try to sell me a bike, clothes, or
accessories. For that matter, considering that probably two
of them were wrenches, were any of them working on bikes.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato
and .net for .com Home of the meditative cyclist:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm See the
books I've set free at:

If any of your are in ever in Adelaide, South Australia I can highly recomend my LBS. Its called Bernie Jones on Diaganal Road, Marion. Jeff the owener is fantastic and his staff are always their to help without being pushy.

I tend to make it a regular stop on my saturday roams just to say hello.

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 12:13:27 GMT, "H. M. Leary"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Doesn't work in one Warwick, RI store. On more than one
>> occasions, I've stood unattended for ten or twenty
>> minutes at the cash register
>
>...and you keep going there???

Well, only rarely, and usually out of desperation (why does
NO store have seatpost shims in stock?). I've never spent
much there, at least partially because of that issue.
--
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:03:54 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Well, only rarely, and usually out of desperation (why does
>NO store have seatpost shims in stock?).

I don't have any really new bikes, other than the Bike
Friday, but don't beer cans still work? The drawbacks
are they aren't very elegant and you have to buy beer
in a can...

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
two wheels...

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:47:13 -0400, Curtis L. Russell
<[email protected]> wrote:
>On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:03:54 -0400, Rick Onanian
><[email protected]> wrote:
>>Well, only rarely, and usually out of desperation (why
>>does NO store have seatpost shims in stock?).
>
>I don't have any really new bikes, other than the Bike
>Friday, but don't beer cans still work? The drawbacks
>are they aren't very elegant and you have to buy beer
>in a can...

I should have tried a soda can, which is already partially
pre-curved. I tried a piece of sheet metal roof step
flashing material, but I couldn't get it to cooperate with
being wrapped around the seatpost. I needed two or three
layers of it; beer/soda cans are probably thinner, so easier
for that reason too.

I drink my beer from bottles, but I drink lots of diet
pepsi in cans.
--
Rick Onanian

news:[email protected]...
:
[...]
: ---
: Lars Lehtonen

Wow, Lars... has it really come to that?? In other words, if
Mike J. pays a Chain Reaction employee $8/hour to help
customers, should he really _expect_ that they won't do a
fine job of tending to _any_ need that a customer has?? My
position may be naive, I'll grant you, but is it simply
_wrong_, too?

Also, strongly commission-based compensation can easily
inure to the detriment of the customer. Been to a car
dealership lately? Maybe there's a middle ground there....

To me, the O.P. story sounds more like a case of employees
who didn't particularly care. If they don't like the pay,
don't they have options to go work elsewhere??

I've been in sales before . . . for years. I worked just as
hard for small commissions as I did for large commissions. I
really hope my case wasn't so exceptional, but . . . maybe
. . . .

Neil

"NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Claire:
>
> While I understand and respect the opinions of others who
> have replied, I also understand exactly what you mean. It
> isn't just bike shops, though. If storeowners only knew
> how much business they lose by hiring unknowledgeable
> sales people who are afraid to approach customers, they
> would probably shape up pretty fast.
>
> I constantly walk out of stores with money burning a hole
> in my pocket.
One
> day recently, I had $3,000 to spend on a laptop computer
> that I absolutely needed the very next day. I walked into
> a well-known national mega
computer
> chain store and found three young salespeople gathered
> around a 23"
monitor
> playing a video game. I told them I needed to buy a
> laptop in a hurry and that it was my first time buying
> one. Without looking up from the screen, two of them
> pointed me to the aisle with the laptops and one said
> "The laptops are over there." Needless to say, I walked
> out after two minutes
of
> trying to sell myself a laptop.
>
> Even more recently, I walked into my neighborhood bike
> shop on a Sunday to buy my wife the brand new bicycle I'd
> been promising her forever. We're both really busy and
> this was the only time we could arrange to shop for
the
> bike together. Again, the money was in my pocket and there
> was no way we weren't buying a bike that day. Well, it was
> Sunday, and the owner, whom
> know very well and really wanted to give the business,
> decided to take the day off and leave two high school kids
> running the store. My wife and I walked in and started
> fumbling our way through the hundreds of bikes on display.
> I even pulled a few from the racks to size her up. In all
> the time we were shopping, the two kids at the counter
> never even looked up
from
> their conversation about "hot chicks." When I asked if one
> could help,
his
> response was "What are you looking for?" I told him "A
> bike for my wife." "What kind?" he replied. "Probably a
> hybrid." I said. "What size?" he asked. "I'm not
> sure...she needs to be sized up." He then brought my
wife
> to the closest female hybrid in the showroom, asked her to
> get on, then asked "Does THAT feel like the right size?"
> We bought my wife's bike somewhere else.
>
> This happens to me all the time, and I've made a habit of
> skipping out of stores that do this to me. I guess I'm
> just getting old. I used to like
> be left alone when I was shopping, but that was when I was
> young and
thought
> I knew more about everything than anybody. Now that I'm
> older and realize I'm not so smart, I need to be "sold" by
> salesperson before I'll buy anything. My final example is
> the $150,000 home renovation for which my
wife
> and I are trying to book contractors, designers, and
> architects. Highly-recommended tradespeople of all sorts
> have been escorted out our
door
> for making the same mistake: They ask us "what we want"
> and tell us "they'll do whatever we want." We've made it
> clear to all these people
that
> we need guidance, that we've never done this before and we
> need input from experienced professionals. Still, they
> come to the house and get
frustrated
> if we don't know whether we want flush beams or soffits in
> our kitchen.
The
> first kitchen designer who said to us "This is what you do
> and here's why" got a big gig out of us.
>
> I think store owners should take this as a warning. The
> biggest reason people still shop in retail stores, rather
> than buying things cheaper online, is for the interaction
> with knowledgeable salespeople who can
guide
> us through the selection and buying process. Once that
> benefit is eliminated, we might as well all buy blindly
> via the Internet.

Moral of that story: rich guy goes from being informed
consumer to richer guy who can no longer be bothered to
inform himself as to his choices as consumer. He does,
however, find the time to fault those who aren't willing to
molly-coddle his big-spending ego.

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:43:14 -0700, [email protected]
> (Tom Keats) wrote:
> >Flashing a big wad of cash sometimes works, too.
>
> Doesn't work in one Warwick, RI store. On more than one
> occasions, I've stood unattended for ten or twenty minutes
> at the cash register with cash visible in one hand and
> something I want to purchase in the other. I'd say this is
> my experience for at least 40% of my visits there.

Let me guess-Caster's, right?

Kimma

"NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Even more recently, I walked into my neighborhood bike
> shop on a Sunday to buy my wife the brand new bicycle I'd
> been promising her forever. We're both really busy and
> this was the only time we could arrange to shop for the
> bike together. Again, the money was in my pocket and there
> was no way we weren't buying a bike that day. Well, it was
> Sunday, and the owner, whom I know very well and really
> wanted to give the business, decided to take the day off
> and leave two high school kids running the store. My wife
> and I walked in and started fumbling our way through the
> hundreds of bikes on display. I even pulled a few from the
> racks to size her up. In all the time we were shopping,
> the two kids at the counter never even looked up from
> their conversation about "hot chicks." When I asked if one
> could help, his response was "What are you looking for?" I
> told him "A bike for my wife." "What kind?" he replied.
> "Probably a hybrid." I said. "What size?" he asked. "I'm
> not sure...she needs to be sized up." He then brought my
> wife to the closest female hybrid in the showroom, asked
> her to get on, then asked "Does THAT feel like the right
> size?" We bought my wife's bike somewhere else.

Amen to that. I'm a big fan of my LBS. I've gotten enough
good advice there, that to me its worth paying higher
prices than I could get through the mail order shops. But I
won't go in on a Sunday. That's the day the owners take off
and turn the shop over to the kids. My wife and I call it
Romper Room.

I can't understand why the owners do this. A lot of people
from town come in on Sunday to buy first bikes for their
kids. This is a chance to make a new customer for life,
maybe get Mom or Dad involved too. Instead, the parents
wander about for a few minutes, get frustrated and head over
to the local Sports Authority.

Regards, Richard Stanz

>>>Moral of that story: rich guy goes from being informed consumer to richer
guy who can no longer be bothered to inform himself as to
his choices as consumer. He does, however, find the time to
fault those who aren't willing to molly-coddle his big-
spending ego.<<<

Matabala:

You misread my post. Believe me, I am not even CLOSE to
being a rich guy. The money for the laptop was a budget from
the company that grossly underpays me for my work. The
bicycle I bought my wife was $300.

That said, I don't spend money easily. And when I do, I want
guidance from someone more knowledgeable than myself. I want
to tell a salesperson what I need to do, then I want my
responsibility to diminish greatly. I want to say "I'm going
to ride 150 miles a week on bike paths and three days per
summer riding on dirt." Then I want the salesperson to show
me the hybrids or sell me a mountain bike and a set of
slicks to go with it.

It's really an easy concept for storeowners, because most of
us talk a good game but know really know **** about anything
we buy. Send me into fifty clothing stores to pick out a
shirt and tie that match and I'll come home empty-handed
every time. Then send me into a store where a salesperson
walks over with two or three different options and I'll
probably buy all three (rich guy that I am) just out of
gratitude to the salesperson.

"matabala" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:c9li2l$tpv$1@news-
reader1.wanadoo.fr...

> "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Claire:
> >
> > While I understand and respect the opinions of others
> > who have replied,
> > also understand exactly what you mean. It isn't just
> > bike shops,
though.
> > If storeowners only knew how much business they lose
> > by hiring unknowledgeable sales people who are afraid
> > to approach customers, they would probably shape up
> > pretty fast.
> >
> > I constantly walk out of stores with money burning a
> > hole in my pocket.

> One
> > day recently, I had $3,000 to spend on a laptop computer
> > that I
absolutely
> > needed the very next day. I walked into a well-known
> > national mega
> computer
> > chain store and found three young salespeople gathered
> > around a 23"
> monitor
> > playing a video game. I told them I needed to buy a
> > laptop in a hurry
and
> > that it was my first time buying one. Without looking up
> > from the
screen,
> > two of them pointed me to the aisle with the laptops and
> > one said "The laptops are over there." Needless to say,
> > I walked out after two
minutes
> [...]
> wife
> > and I are trying to book contractors, designers, and
> > architects. Highly-recommended tradespeople of all sorts
> > have been escorted out our
> door
> > for making the same mistake: They ask us "what we want"
> > and tell us "they'll do whatever we want." We've made it
> > clear to all these people
> that
> > we need guidance, that we've never done this before and
> > we need input
from
> > experienced professionals. Still, they come to the house
> > and get
> frustrated
> > if we don't know whether we want flush beams or soffits
> > in our kitchen.
> The
> > first kitchen designer who said to us "This is what you
why"
> > got a big gig out of us.
> >
> > I think store owners should take this as a warning. The
> > biggest reason people still shop in retail stores,
> > rather than buying things cheaper online, is for the
> > interaction with knowledgeable salespeople who can
> guide
> > us through the selection and buying process. Once that
> > benefit is eliminated, we might as well all buy blindly
> > via the Internet.
> >
> Moral of that story: rich guy goes from being informed
> consumer to richer guy who can no longer be bothered to
> inform himself as to his choices as consumer. He does,
> however, find the time to fault those who aren't
willing
> to molly-coddle his big-spending ego.

Oh...and the $150K renovation is from a low interest loan that I definitely
cannot afford!
"NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
richer
> guy who can no longer be bothered to inform himself as to
> his choices as consumer. He does, however, find the time
> to fault those who aren't
willing
> to molly-coddle his big-spending ego.<<<
>
> Matabala:
>
> You misread my post. Believe me, I am not even CLOSE to
> being a rich guy. The money for the laptop was a budget
> from the company that grossly underpays me for my work.
> The bicycle I bought my wife was $300.
>
> That said, I don't spend money easily. And when I do, I
> want guidance
from
> someone more knowledgeable than myself. I want to tell a
> salesperson what
> need to do, then I want my responsibility to diminish
> greatly. I want to say "I'm going to ride 150 miles a week
> on bike paths and three days per summer riding on dirt."
> Then I want the salesperson to show me the
hybrids
> or sell me a mountain bike and a set of slicks to go
> with it.
>
> It's really an easy concept for storeowners, because most
> of us talk a
good
> game but know really know **** about anything we buy. Send
> me into fifty clothing stores to pick out a shirt and tie
> that match and I'll come home empty-handed every time.
> Then send me into a store where a salesperson walks over
> with two or three different options and I'll probably buy
> all three (rich guy that I am) just out of gratitude to
> the salesperson.
>

> "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:c9li2l$tpv$1@news-
> reader1.wanadoo.fr...
> >
> > "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Claire:
> > >
> > > While I understand and respect the opinions of others
> > > who have
replied,
> > > also understand exactly what you mean. It isn't just
> > > bike shops,
> though.
> > > If storeowners only knew how much business they lose
> > > by hiring unknowledgeable sales people who are afraid
> > > to approach customers,
they
> > > would probably shape up pretty fast.
> > >
> > > I constantly walk out of stores with money burning a
> > > hole in my
pocket.

> > One
> > > day recently, I had $3,000 to spend on a laptop
> > > computer that I
> absolutely
> > > needed the very next day. I walked into a well-known
> > > national mega
> > computer
> > > chain store and found three young salespeople gathered
> > > around a 23"
> > monitor
> > > playing a video game. I told them I needed to buy a
> > > laptop in a hurry
> and
> > > that it was my first time buying one. Without looking
> > > up from the
> screen,
> > > two of them pointed me to the aisle with the laptops
> > > and one said "The laptops are over there." Needless to
> > > say, I walked out after two
> minutes
> > of
> > > trying to sell myself a laptop.
> > >
> > > Even more recently, I walked into my neighborhood bike
> > > shop on a
Sunday
> > > buy my wife the brand new bicycle I'd been promising
> > > her forever.
We're
> > > both really busy and this was the only time we could
> > > arrange to shop
for
> > the
> > > bike together. Again, the money was in my pocket and
> > > there was no way
> we
> > > weren't buying a bike that day. Well, it was Sunday,
> > > and the owner,
> whom
> > > know very well and really wanted to give the business,
> > > decided to take
> the
> > > day off and leave two high school kids running the
> > > store. My wife and
> > > walked in and started fumbling our way through the
> > > hundreds of bikes
on
> > > display. I even pulled a few from the racks to size
> > > her up. In all
the
> > > time we were shopping, the two kids at the counter
> > > never even looked
up
> > from
> > > their conversation about "hot chicks." When I asked if
> > > one could
help,
> > his
> > > response was "What are you looking for?" I told him "A
> > > bike for my
> wife."
> > > "What kind?" he replied. "Probably a hybrid." I said.
> > > "What size?"
he
> > > asked. "I'm not sure...she needs to be sized up." He
> > > then brought my
> > wife
> > > to the closest female hybrid in the showroom, asked
> > > her to get on,
then
> > > asked "Does THAT feel like the right size?" We bought
> > > my wife's bike somewhere else.
> > >
> > > This happens to me all the time, and I've made a habit
> > > of skipping out
> of
> > > stores that do this to me. I guess I'm just getting
> > > old. I used to
like
> > > be left alone when I was shopping, but that was when I
> > > was young and
> > thought
> > > I knew more about everything than anybody. Now that
> > > I'm older and
> realize
> > > I'm not so smart, I need to be "sold" by salesperson
> > > before I'll buy anything. My final example is the
> > > $150,000 home renovation for which
my
> > wife
> > > and I are trying to book contractors, designers, and
> > > architects. Highly-recommended tradespeople of all
> > > sorts have been escorted out
our
> > door
> > > for making the same mistake: They ask us "what we
> > > want" and tell us "they'll do whatever we want." We've
> > > made it clear to all these
people
> > that
> > > we need guidance, that we've never done this before
> > > and we need input
> from
> > > experienced professionals. Still, they come to the
> > > house and get
> > frustrated
> > > if we don't know whether we want flush beams or
> > > soffits in our
kitchen.
> > The
> > > first kitchen designer who said to us "This is what
> > > you do and here's
> why"
> > > got a big gig out of us.
> > >
> > > I think store owners should take this as a warning.
> > > The biggest
reason
> > > people still shop in retail stores, rather than buying
> > > things cheaper online, is for the interaction with
> > > knowledgeable salespeople who can
> > guide
> > > us through the selection and buying process. Once that
> > > benefit is eliminated, we might as well all buy
> > > blindly via the Internet.
> > >
> > Moral of that story: rich guy goes from being informed
> > consumer to
richer
> > guy who can no longer be bothered to inform himself as
> > to his choices as consumer. He does, however, find the
> > time to fault those who aren't
> willing
> > to molly-coddle his big-spending ego.

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 01:52:31 GMT, "Kimma Rock" <[email protected]>
wrote:
>"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Doesn't work in one Warwick, RI store. On more than one
>> occasions, I've stood unattended for ten or twenty
>> minutes at the cash register with cash visible in one
>> hand and something I want to purchase in
>
>Let me guess-Caster's, right?

I can't imagine how you guessed correctly... <BFG>
--
Rick Onanian

Richard Stanz wrote:

> "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> Even more recently, I walked into my neighborhood bike
>> shop on a Sunday to buy my wife the brand new bicycle I'd
>> been promising her forever. We're both really busy and
>> this was the only time we could arrange to shop for the
>> bike together. Again, the money was in my pocket and
>> there was no way we weren't buying a bike that day. Well,
>> it was Sunday, and the owner, whom I know very well and
>> really wanted to give the business, decided to take the
>> day off and leave two high school kids running the store.
>> My wife and I walked in and started fumbling our way
>> through the hundreds of bikes on display. I even pulled a
>> few from the racks to size her up. In all the time we
>> were shopping, the two kids at the counter never even
>> looked up from their conversation about "hot chicks."
>> When I asked if one could help, his response was "What
>> are you looking for?" I told him "A bike for my wife."
>> "What kind?" he replied. "Probably a hybrid." I said.
>> "What size?" he asked. "I'm not sure...she needs to be
>> sized up." He then brought my wife to the closest female
>> hybrid in the showroom, asked her to get on, then asked
>> "Does THAT feel like the right size?" We bought my wife's
>> bike somewhere else.
>>

> Amen to that. I'm a big fan of my LBS. I've gotten enough
> good advice there, that to me its worth paying higher
> prices than I could get through the mail order shops. But
> I won't go in on a Sunday. That's the day the owners take
> off and turn the shop over to the kids. My wife and I call
> it Romper Room.
>
> I can't understand why the owners do this. A lot of people
> from town come in on Sunday to buy first bikes for their
> kids. This is a chance to make a new customer for life,
> maybe get Mom or Dad involved too. Instead, the parents
> wander about for a few minutes, get frustrated and head
> over to the local Sports Authority.

Well, I can tell you why they do it -- they want a weekend
day off like "everyone else" has. Maybe they go to church
or have kids' sports activities, or friends' barbecues to
go to. It's tough to have a social life with a retail
business, because you have to work when everyone else has
their day off. Plus, weekends are most people's shopping
days, so if you close on a weekend day you miss a lot of
sales -- perhaps the lions' share of the week. It's a
wicked tradeoff.

Still, these people ought to have more responsible staff in
charge. Maybe they're unaware of how bad the situation is.

Matt O.

Richard Stanz wrote:

> This is a chance to make a new customer for life, maybe
> get Mom or Dad involved too.

How true. There is a bike shop in Randolph, Mass. where they
went out of their way to do some service I needed quickly.
Before we moved from the area, we had bought four bikes (and
were planning a fifth and maybe a tandem too). The guy knew
me by name and would come right over when I walked in the
store. I could then say what I needed help with (or that I
was all set, or just poking around, etc.)

Where we are now (Minnesota north of the Twin Cities), the
only local shop only does mountain bikes. Hey, anybody in
here notice that there are no mountains for hundreds of
miles in any direction? No response.

Austin
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please! There are no X
characters in my address

> Well, I can tell you why they do it -- they want a weekend
> day off like "everyone else" has.

In the original post, I realized when I walked into the
shop, here it is, a beautiful day on a holiday weekend, and
the owner is probably out there, enjoying it. Meanwhile, his
three young employees are stuck inside. Since they don't get
the holiday as a holiday, they were taking a holiday anyway
-- y'know?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato
and .net for .com Home of the meditative cyclist:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm See the
books I've set free at:

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 01:52:31 GMT, "Kimma Rock"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> Doesn't work in one Warwick, RI store. On more than one
> >> occasions, I've stood unattended for ten or twenty
> >> minutes at the cash register with cash visible in one
> >> hand and something I want to purchase in
> >
> >Let me guess-Caster's, right?
>
> I can't imagine how you guessed correctly... <BFG>

I refuse to set foot (or wheel) in that store because of
exactly what you describe. And the one time I actually got
someone to acknowledge my existence, they were so snotty
that I walked out. Luckily, I'm not far from EP Cycle,
where I bought my bike & where I've always been treated
pretty well.

Kimma

"Kimma Rock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 01:52:31 GMT, "Kimma Rock"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > >Let me guess-Caster's, right?
> >
> > I can't imagine how you guessed correctly... <BFG>
>
> I refuse to set foot (or wheel) in that store because of
> exactly what you describe. And the one time I actually got
> someone to acknowledge my existence, they were so snotty
> that I walked out. Luckily, I'm not far from EP Cycle,
> where I bought my bike & where I've always been treated
> pretty well.
>
> Kimma

Here in Wichita there is a bike shop where the service is
good up until the bike is bought. After they have their
money, good luck trying to get the same amount of service
that you recited when spending the big dollars on you
bicycle. What I mean is, say you want gloves after two
weeks. No one will talk to you while you look at the gloves,
or if they do they will quite in mid sentence and go after
someone who looks at a bike. I never go to that shop
anymore. I really think most cyclists are willing to put up
with bad service. Another bike shop in Wichita - Bike
Exchange - gave me ten percent off because I had to wait in
line while they rang up another customer. I did not even ask
for the discount. The best shops at services in Wichita are:
Continental Cyclery, Heartland Bicycles, and Bike Exchange.
Heartland gives one year free tune ups on new bikes.
Hieronymus