Former world champion jailed for stalking

tispectrum

Guest
MELBOURNE, Aug 29 (Reuters) - Australia's former world champion and Olympic
silver medal-winning track cyclist Gary Neiwand has been sentenced to 18
months' prison for stalking a former lover, local media reported on Tuesday.

The 39-year-old, who won sprint silver at the 1992 Games in Barcelona and
also in the keirin in the Sydney Games of 2000, pleaded guilty in a
Melbourne court to five charges of stalking, as well as theft and breaching
an intervention order.

"The message to the community must be clear and emphatic. Conduct of this
nature, intending to cause fear and apprehension over a period of time, is
entirely unacceptable," Victorian Chief Magistrate Ian Gray was quoted as
saying by Australian Associated Press

The court heard that Neiwand, a father of two, had several times telephoned
but then hung up on a woman after she ended their brief relationship earlier
in the year.

He made similar "hang-up" calls to the woman's mother and sent sexually
explicit text messages to the woman's boss.

The court was told abusive messages were also sent to a former work
colleague of the unidentified woman and two other people on a stolen mobile
phone. Neiwand was suffering from depression at the time, the court heard.

He was jailed for four months in February after violating an intervention
order requiring him to stay clear of his former wife.

Neiwand, who burst to prominence with Commonwealth Games sprint gold in
Edinburgh in 1986, won four Olympic medals in total and was the sprint world
champion in 1993 and 1996.

He must serve a minimum of nine months in jail.

tispectrum wrote:
> MELBOURNE, Aug 29 (Reuters) - Australia's former world champion and Olympic
> silver medal-winning track cyclist Gary Neiwand has been sentenced to 18
> months' prison for stalking a former lover, local media reported on Tuesday.

I guess the usage of "stocking" hasn't yet caught on Down Under.

On 29 Aug 2006 09:52:04 -0700, "Dwayne" <[email protected]> wrote:

>tispectrum wrote:
>> MELBOURNE, Aug 29 (Reuters) - Australia's former world champion and Olympic
>> silver medal-winning track cyclist Gary Neiwand has been sentenced to 18
>> months' prison for stalking a former lover, local media reported on Tuesday.

>I guess the usage of "stocking" hasn't yet caught on Down Under.

Loosers can't spel.

Ron

In article <[email protected]>,
RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 29 Aug 2006 09:52:04 -0700, "Dwayne" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >tispectrum wrote:
> >> MELBOURNE, Aug 29 (Reuters) - Australia's former world champion and
> >> Olympic
> >> silver medal-winning track cyclist Gary Neiwand has been sentenced to 18
> >> months' prison for stalking a former lover, local media reported on
> >> Tuesday.

> >I guess the usage of "stocking" hasn't yet caught on Down Under.

> Loosers can't spel.

Your an idiot!