formula for gear rations, speeds

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Raymo853, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    I got the formula to calculate gear inches (crank teeth count /cog teeth count) * wheel diameter in
    inches. But what would it be for say MPH at 100 rmp? For some reason I" am having a bad brain moment
    and can't get the conversions correctly.

    Tags:

  2. Cheg

    Cheg Guest

    "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I got the formula to calculate gear inches (crank teeth count /cog
    teeth
    > count) * wheel diameter in inches. But what would it be for say
    MPH at 100
    > rmp? For some reason I" am having a bad brain moment and can't get
    the
    > conversions correctly.

    (Crank Teeth) / (Cog Teeth) * (Wheel diameter in inches) / (12 in per ft) * pi * RPM * (60 min per
    hr) / (5280 ft per mi)

  3. Raymo853 wrote:

    > I got the formula to calculate gear inches (crank teeth count /cog teeth count) * wheel diameter
    > in inches. But what would it be for say MPH at 100 rmp? For some reason I" am having a bad brain
    > moment and can't get the conversions correctly.

    MPH @ 100 RPM is one of the modes offered in my online gear calculator:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/gears

    But the default units are Gain Ratios, which I think are a better system.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/gain

    Sheldon "Gain Ratio" Brown +--------------------------------------+
    | Without deviation from the norm, | progress is not possible | -- Frank Zappa |
    +--------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
    9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  4. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    Gear ratios calculations are better for some situtations, however, I am concerned about MPH at a
    certain RMP while considering cassette choices for an upcoming race.

    > Raymo853 wrote:
    >
    > > I got the formula to calculate gear inches (crank teeth count /cog teeth count) * wheel diameter
    > > in inches. But what would it be for say MPH at
    100
    > > rmp? For some reason I" am having a bad brain moment and can't get the conversions correctly.
    >
    > MPH @ 100 RPM is one of the modes offered in my online gear calculator:
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/gears
    >
    > But the default units are Gain Ratios, which I think are a better system.
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/gain
    >
    > Sheldon "Gain Ratio" Brown +--------------------------------------+
    > | Without deviation from the norm, | progress is not possible | -- Frank Zappa |
    > +--------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
    > 9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  5. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > Gear ratios calculations are better for some situtations, however, I am concerned about MPH at a
    > certain RMP while considering cassette choices
    for
    > an upcoming race.

    You can try EasyGear (http://www.ultimade.nl/bikepages/index.php4?page=easygear) if you're willing
    to use metric values.

  6. On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 07:38:32 -0500, "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote:

    <Gear ratios calculations are better for some situtations, however, I am <concerned about MPH at a
    certain RMP while considering cassette choices for <an upcoming race.

    Why not check out the course and let your experience be your guide?

  7. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I got the formula to calculate gear inches (crank teeth count /cog teeth count) * wheel diameter
    > in inches. But what would it be for say MPH at 100 rmp? For some reason I" am having a bad brain
    > moment and can't get the conversions correctly.

    Dear Raymond,

    Here's an ancient spreadsheet that should import into almost any modern spreadsheet:

    http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/Gear3.wk1

    It lets you set the number of front teeth and the rear wheel diameter and shows RPM versus MPH for a
    wide range of rear cogs.

    Here's where you can see roughly the same question, with a few pages of output that might be all
    that you want:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8bbde8fc.0310282037.6894ac40%40posting.google.com&output=gplain

    Good luck,

    Carl Fogel

  8. R15757

    R15757 Guest

    Carl fogeled:

    << Dear Raymond,

    Here's an ancient spreadsheet that should import into almost any modern spreadsheet:

    http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/Gear3.wk1

    It lets you set the number of front teeth and the rear wheel diameter and shows RPM versus MPH for a
    wide range of rear cogs.

    Here's where you can see roughly the same question, with a few pages of output that might be all
    that you want:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8bbde8fc.0310282037.6894ac40%40postin
    g.google.com&output=gplain

    Good luck,

    Carl Fogel >>

    Carl, I'm surprised at you. No mention of crank length? I thought we were all getting behind Sheldon
    in the Real Gearing Revolution.

    Robert

  9. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > It lets you set the number of front teeth

    I'd give anything for my two front teeth...that's all I want for Christmas... ;-)

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  10. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    S. Anderson wrote:
    > "Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    >> It lets you set the number of front teeth
    >
    > I'd give anything for my two front teeth...that's all I want for Christmas... ;-)

    Dating yourself with that one!

    Bill "not dinner and a movie, either" S.

  11. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Gear ratios calculations are better for some situtations, however, I am concerned about MPH at a
    > certain RMP while considering cassette choices for an upcoming race.

    Gear inches X Cadence X .003 = speed in MPH

    For instance, a 112 inch gear at 90 RPM yields 30.24 MPH .

    The constant is actually .0029714... but 3 digits after the decimal point should be good enough.

    Jeff "memorized pi to 20 digits when I was in grade school" Wills

  12. carlfogel

    carlfogel New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    Dear Robert,

    You are old, Father William, the young man said . . .

    Actually, all that's needed to calculate MPH is crank
    RPM, gear ratio, and rear tire size.

    That is, for a given tachometer reading, the length of
    the crank doesn't affect the speedometer reading.

    The original poster wants RPM and MPH in order to
    fiddle with his gears, not his crank, so RPM and MPH
    are what he gets.

    I'm graciously assuming that either the original
    poster uses the only correct crank length (175mm,
    like mine) or else is willing to risk certain death.

    Live and let live,

    Carl Fogel