Formula RX Hydraulic Disc brake help.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by MountainPro, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

On my 2010 Rocky Mountain Element 50 mtb i have a set of Formula RX brakes. Recently after a marathon ride, the brake pads are no longer centered around the disc on front and rear. One pad is in constant contact with the rotor and the other is a mm or 2 clear and makes a noise when riding, a light squeeking noise. I am not great at adjusting them so does anyone know how i can re-centre the pads? They are held into place by a spring arangement and a bolt by the looks of things. Can send a pic if needed to make it clearer. There is no sign of excessive wear on the pads and rotors are clean and true. The brakes still perform well.

cheers
    Harry...

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

The fastest way to deal with the situation is to remount the brake calipers with different spacers and thereby center the pads ...

3. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

BTW. I believe that #10 washers (?) which are available from any hardware store or lumber yard should work ...

• they are about 1mm thick
    • they are the SAME SIZE as the washers which used to be used when lacing tubular rims which did not have eyelets
    • they are typically sold in packets of 100 ... cost should be about £1, or less, for the packet

In case you want to fabricate thinner shims to fine tune the centering, someone once measured the aluminum which soda-and-beer cans are made with as being 0.2mm thick.