Forty hole 4 cross lacing.

Zoot Katz

Guest
Rebuilding a Sturmey Archer AG into a new rim I observed the original
wheel is not interlaced. I'm guessing it's original as it is a
chromed steel Raleigh rim, 26" X 1 3/8".

The trailing spoke heads are seated inside the hub flange and the
spoke crosses over four spokes without crossing under the last one
before it attaches to the rim.

My question: Is there any reason to not interlace the spokes when
building this type of hub into a new MTB rim? Any ideas as to why it
wasn't interlaced from the factory? Raleigh publication AD4935
doesn't mention interlacing, merely that the spoke crosses over the
other two, three or four spokes in the flange.
--
zk

On Dec 27, 3:20 pm, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> Rebuilding a Sturmey Archer AG into a new rim I observed the original
> wheel is not interlaced.  I'm guessing it's original as it is a
> chromed steel Raleigh rim, 26" X 1 3/8".
>
> The trailing spoke heads are seated inside the hub flange and the
> spoke crosses over four spokes without crossing under the last one
> before it attaches to the rim.
>
> My question: Is there any reason to not interlace the spokes when
> building this type of hub into a new MTB rim? Any ideas as to why it
> wasn't interlaced from the factory?  Raleigh publication AD4935
> doesn't mention interlacing, merely that the spoke crosses over the
> other two, three or four spokes in the flange.
> --
> zk

I've heard of this being done on some lower-end stuff because it was
easier to build that way. No reason to lace a new wheel that way.

Zoot Katz wrote:
> Rebuilding a Sturmey Archer AG into a new rim I observed the original
> wheel is not interlaced. I'm guessing it's original as it is a
> chromed steel Raleigh rim, 26" X 1 3/8".
>
> The trailing spoke heads are seated inside the hub flange and the
> spoke crosses over four spokes without crossing under the last one
> before it attaches to the rim.
>
> My question: Is there any reason to not interlace the spokes when
> building this type of hub into a new MTB rim? Any ideas as to why it
> wasn't interlaced from the factory? Raleigh publication AD4935
> doesn't mention interlacing, merely that the spoke crosses over the
> other two, three or four spokes in the flange.

Factory wheels are/were commonly not interlaced as it saves time and
seems to work well enough with heavy rims and high spoke counts. Since a
few seconds at this point are not critical I'd suggest you do lace when
you build it. There's no downside to lacing spokes and, yes, four cross
is correct to a 40h wheel.

p.s. Regular 700 series tubulars will clear under your Sports or Superbe
mudguards if you want to lighten it up a bit.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:20:52 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Zoot Katz wrote:
>> Rebuilding a Sturmey Archer AG into a new rim I observed the original
>> wheel is not interlaced. I'm guessing it's original as it is a
>> chromed steel Raleigh rim, 26" X 1 3/8".
>>
>> The trailing spoke heads are seated inside the hub flange and the
>> spoke crosses over four spokes without crossing under the last one
>> before it attaches to the rim.
>>
>> My question: Is there any reason to not interlace the spokes when
>> building this type of hub into a new MTB rim? Any ideas as to why it
>> wasn't interlaced from the factory? Raleigh publication AD4935
>> doesn't mention interlacing, merely that the spoke crosses over the
>> other two, three or four spokes in the flange.

>Factory wheels are/were commonly not interlaced as it saves time and
>seems to work well enough with heavy rims and high spoke counts. Since a
>few seconds at this point are not critical I'd suggest you do lace when
>you build it. There's no downside to lacing spokes and, yes, four cross
>is correct to a 40h wheel.
>
>p.s. Regular 700 series tubulars will clear under your Sports or Superbe
>mudguards if you want to lighten it up a bit.

Thanks Andrew. That's sort of what I figured but it's better to
double check with the pros.

This wheel is going on a Norco cruiser frame for now to drive an old
chrome bullet shaped head lamp.

I could have ordered a 40 hole alloy rim in the 26" X 1 3/8" size and
it would fit the frame too but a 559 rim is more useful to me.

The new Salsa Gordo triple box eyeleted rim is overkill for this
application but it's one of very few 40 hole rims available in any
size. Of course, there's not many 40 hole hubs out there these days.
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:
> Rebuilding a Sturmey Archer AG into a new rim I observed the original
> wheel is not interlaced. I'm guessing it's original as it is a
> chromed steel Raleigh rim, 26" X 1 3/8".
>
> The trailing spoke heads are seated inside the hub flange and the
> spoke crosses over four spokes without crossing under the last one
> before it attaches to the rim.
>
> My question: Is there any reason to not interlace the spokes when
> building this type of hub into a new MTB rim? Any ideas as to why it
> wasn't interlaced from the factory? Raleigh publication AD4935
> doesn't mention interlacing, merely that the spoke crosses over the
> other two, three or four spokes in the flange.

I'd lace it. Just calculate the spoke lengths using Spocalc and
accurate hub/rim measurements; don't measure the existing ones. Lacing
may need an extra mm or so.