forum rules & thread rating

Discussion in 'Tell us what you think!' started by brightgarden, Mar 8, 2004.

1. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

Hi,

I'm curious. How much do people actually use the thread rating? Can you point me to an example of something that has a rating? I'm not sure I'd know how to recognize it.

Also, are there moderators on the forum topics? Or is this mostly a self-moderating forum? Although I generally lurk on technical boards out there, they all seem to have fairly aggressive moderators, and this forum is refreshingly free from that big-brother-ish feeling. Not that I think you should change things--just want to know what the status quo is.

Thanks!

Tags:

2. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

hey

The mods are listed on this page http://www.cyclingforums.com/showgroups.php?s= Moderators are also meant to be listed at the top of each section (except usenet). Ive just realised this is missing for some reason :confused:

I'm not going to worry about fixing it because i'll be upgrading the board to the latest version of vBulletin later in the week.

Thread rating is disabled, nobody really used it.

cheers

3. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

thanks! this forum rocks!

4. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

it should be even better in a few days :D

5. less'go

less'go New Member

Hey Steve, just a quick question on moderating decisions... you know there was this "Saso" whose last thread about being banned got pulled...

Ya, sure, he sounded like an idiot, but I remember all too vividly the days of the Memphman, and his posts (pulled some of them up today to see if I remembered correctly) with descriptions of the "louse-infected, turbine-head immigrants" (just one example of Memph's racist prose, mind you) destroying his country's culture... At the time, I even wrote one of you moderators to ask why that kind of talk was being allowed... and he was never banned.

So whassup? Did Memph eventually get banned? Haven't heard peep from him in months. No complaints on that one, though, rest assured.

If Memph did not get banned, then why did Saso get banned for his comment, which was of equally poor taste, but no more racist than Memph's multiple, bigoted, and repeated comments? I'm just curious, because at one point I was shocked by the liberty you all gave posters in expressing their political views, and now it seems Saso hit a nerve that wasnot there before. Is it not just as bad to make racist comments about people from the Middle East, India and Asia, as it is to make them about those of Jewish descent?

Let me add that I am, as always, a devotee of the forum, you all do a great job with it... Thank you for your hard work and I'm sure you just have to call them as you see them. Just found the situation ironic, having been highly offended myself during the Memphdays...

Sara

6. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

Steve told me back in the boudreaux thread that memphmann was MIA (not kicked off).

saso was kicked off of bikeforums.net--was he kicked off cyclingforums.com? i think his major misstep was introducing himself to this forum in the way he did completely out of context (or rather, in the wrong context, given that this is a completely written medium).

i watched south park last night and thought, man if cartman was on this forum, what a troll he'd be. but then, would he be amusing in that role?

i was more amused than offended by memphmann, but i guess i saw him the way i see these kids on that oh-so-politically-incorrect show.

7. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

Ah! that thread was removed....

I wonder, are reported threads just removed? Do members ever get kicked off this forum?

8. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree looking back memph sould have been banned.

I don't ban many people, just the odd spammer and trouble maker.

Reported post/threads do get looked at and if needed they're removed.

Do you guys/girls think we should take a harder line with this?

cheers

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Steve,
    I have to say that I think that this Forum is excellent in the way that people can speak freely.
    However, I did think that some of the racial comments referred to by Less'go were a little bit too close to be allowed to stay on this
    site.

I have to say though that 99.9% of posters here are reasonable people and I don't think that they use this Forum in order to put out religious/sectarian hatred.
    And as for the Moderator ?
    Well, what can i say, he/she does any excellent job !

10. less'go

less'go New Member

I don't especially like too much censorship -- it's just that what Memph was saying was so very off topic and especially so laced with hatred... But he did keep the boards busy! Ya, Memph, I woulda' removed some of his posts and seriously threaten to ban if he didn't shape up. One off-color joke though, like Saso made, merited more of a post-removal-slap-on-the-wrist, IMHO...

Okay, quick question #2, in the Eye Candy thread a couple of fellas, I guess, got carried away with notions of ladies and razors and their posts were removed... Removed by mods to keep the site PG, or what? Again, just curious, definitely not complaining, you all do a great job.

Sara

11. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi

I'm not sure about the eye candy thread, I can't remember if I removed something from there or not!

Its hard to please everyone, our membership is pretty broad. A website like this has to follow what its members want/need otherwise it will be dead in a few months. There's been several posts that make me cringe, but talking about the 'gray' areas here shouldn't be a no no. I don’t remove anything unless its Spam or outright vulgar, if its slipped through there is a chance I haven’t seen the post and it hasn’t been reported by anyone.

If you see something you don’t like just report it. Every post that is reported is looked into by me or whoever else gets to it first. Remember you guys dictate the direction this site takes, I just happened to start the bloody thing :D

limerickman: I agree racial abuse has no place here, if any new racial posts surface here, just report them and i'll remove them and ban the user.

regards

12. neil0502

neil0502 New Member

Because I'm pretty new to this forum, a couple quick things:

...1) Thanks very much for providing it. I'm a relative newbie to cycling. Your site has provided me with the equivalent of years of practical knowledge in a very short time. I now--clearly--know just enough to be dangerous....

...2) I saw your post letting people know to tread lightly. Is there a charter (formal/informal), or can you sort of paint for me/us a loose picture of what you don't want on this forum? I'm guilty of engaging in that razor repartee that Less'go mentioned. If that sort of innuendo is pushing the envelope, I'll (cycling reference here) back-pedal lightning fast.

Thanks much!

Neil