Fotheringham On Vino

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 01:12:36 GMT, "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tourdefrance2005/story/0,16056,1523596,00.html

>Just how stupid do you have to be to write something like that? Vino gains 7
>seconds with this attack and will lose 2 minutes in the mountain stages.

If he keeps taking chances like that he might not make it to the
mountains.

Anyone who is a team leader or GC contender wouldn't be encouraged to
jump when he did. And if they do it more than once the other teams are
going to shut it down like a prison fight.

snipped from article:
"After the finish in Sarrebruck in 2002, this is another nod to the
popularity of the Tour in Germany. In the wake of Jan Ullrich's
1997 Tour win, this has grown massively - rather as Ullrich himself
tends to in the off-season."

is that what's referred to as yellow jersey journalism?
e-RICHIE©™®

wrote:

>Just how stupid do you have to be to write something like that? Vino gains 7
>seconds with this attack and will lose 2 minutes in the mountain stages.

Can you blame the media if there's even a remote sign of life in this
competition ?

[email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 01:12:36 GMT, "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Just how stupid do you have to be to write something like that? Vino gains 7
> >seconds with this attack and will lose 2 minutes in the mountain stages.

> Can you blame the media if there's even a remote sign of life in this
> competition ?

Not for "yellow jersey journalism" (that should be trademarked), but
for stupid comments like "A pattern has emerged in the flat stages
which comprise the opening week of this Tour, whereby the peloton
release a handful of also-rans who make the running and are duly swept
up in the final kilometres in time for a bunch sprint."

What compromise? What's supposed to happen? "Is that Basso and Ulrich
3 minutes up the road?" "Yeah - they're not going anywhere don't worry
about it." Sheesh.

>> http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tourdefrance2005/story/0,16056,1523596,00.html

> Just how stupid do you have to be to write something like that? Vino gains
> 7 seconds with this attack and will lose 2 minutes in the mountain stages.

and how stupid is your comment? should i rate it?
actually, vino got back 19 sec. today...

he might lose 2 min in the mountains,
but nothing is written in stone.

voila

RicodJour wrote:

> Not for "yellow jersey journalism" (that should be trademarked), but
> for stupid comments like "A pattern has emerged in the flat stages
> which comprise the opening week of this Tour, whereby the peloton
> release a handful of also-rans who make the running and are duly swept
> up in the final kilometres in time for a bunch sprint."
>
> What compromise? What's supposed to happen? "Is that Basso and Ulrich
> 3 minutes up the road?" "Yeah - they're not going anywhere don't worry
> about it." Sheesh.

Huh? The sentence you quoted is perfectly reasonable. And he wrote
"comprise," not "compromise." This is Fotheringham you're *****ing
about, not some ignorant US sportswriter sent to the Tour for the
first time this year.

Man, they just don't make dumbasses like they used to.

[email protected] wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
>
> > Not for "yellow jersey journalism" (that should be trademarked), but
> > for stupid comments like "A pattern has emerged in the flat stages
> > which comprise the opening week of this Tour, whereby the peloton
> > release a handful of also-rans who make the running and are duly swept
> > up in the final kilometres in time for a bunch sprint."
> >
> > What compromise? What's supposed to happen? "Is that Basso and Ulrich
> > 3 minutes up the road?" "Yeah - they're not going anywhere don't worry
> > about it." Sheesh.

> Huh? The sentence you quoted is perfectly reasonable. And he wrote
> "comprise," not "compromise." This is Fotheringham you're *****ing
> about, not some ignorant US sportswriter sent to the Tour for the
> first time this year.

Scandalous! I thought one word and typed another! But it wasn't that
word that I objected to. It's not exactly uncommon to have the
also-rans take a flyer and get caught. That's what makes them
also-rans. It's not exactly an emergent pattern of note - more like
filler. Even the most knowledgeable writers have been known to use
filler material. Didn't mean to hurt your, or his, feelings.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tourdefrance2005/story/0,16056,1523596,00.html

> Just how stupid do you have to be to write something like that? Vino gains

7
> seconds with this attack and will lose 2 minutes in the mountain stages.

The press needs to make people believe there is a good chance that this tour
will end differently than expected, or the public will lose interest. This
will mean less newspapers sold, less sponsor exposure, etc.

"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> The press needs to make people believe there is a good chance that this
> tour will end differently than expected, or the public will lose
> interest. This will mean less newspapers sold, less sponsor exposure,
> etc.

It's not so much interest in the end they're trying to keep interst up.
Remember, the Modern Tour is a fabulous one-week race that just happens to
play out over the course of three weeks. So pity the poor writer who has to
come up with something to say about the other two tedious weeks other than,
"What a spectacularly shitty race that was!" Truth be told, most jurnos are
secretly praying for something like the leader to crash out of the yellow
jersey during the team time trial so they have something interesting to write
about. Without the crash, coverage of that stage could be summed up
succinctly with, "Discovery won, finishing two seconds faster than CSC, and
thirty five ahead of Telekom." Everything the reader needs to know, and it
captures all the excitement of a team time trial. But try sending that back
to your editor who has is looking for 20 inches of copy from you! You'll be
on the next train home to Slough. No more tour, with the press tent and the
free buffet. And the readers would be ******, too. They want to preserve
their illusions of the TdF. So pity the poor writer for embellishing here and
there. Tomorrow things will be better. No one will be nodding off, drooling
on their keyboards, and dreaming of interesting things to write about.

Tim Mullin wrote:

> Truth be told, most jurnos are secretly praying for something
> like the leader to crash out of the yellow jersey during the team
> time trial so they have something interesting to write about.

Nah, we wouldn't do that. Never. Not us. (Pass the rosary beads, will ya?)

> from you! You'll be on the next train home to Slough. No more tour,
> with the press tent and the free buffet.

That's the real reason journos go to the Tour.

> pity the poor writer for embellishing here and there. Tomorrow things
> will be better. No one will be nodding off, drooling on their
> keyboards, and dreaming of interesting things to write about.

There is no nodding off in the
Tourzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzwhat...oh.

Jeff

>> http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tourdefrance2005/story/0,16056,1523596,00.html

> Just how stupid do you have to be to write something like that? Vino gains
> 7 seconds with this attack and will lose 2 minutes in the mountain stages.

1 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) T-Mobile Team 4.07.23
(44.14 km/h)
2 Jose Gomez Marchante (Spa) Saunier Duval-Prodir 0.06
3 Wim Van Huffel (Bel) Davitamon-Lotto 0.16
4 Lance Armstrong (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 0.37

On the queen stage of the Dauphiné Libéré, T-Mobile's Alexandre Vinkourov
has found himself the King of Mont Ventoux. The 31 year-old Kazakhstan
rider, already a winner of this year's Liège-Bastogne-Liège, today
demonstrated his versatility and abundance of strength to outride all the
favourites and conquer the Giant of Provence.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/jun05/dauphinelibere05/?id=results/dauphinelibere054

Jeff Jones wrote:
> There is no nodding off in the
> Tourzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzwhat...oh.

Just imagining the next blimp orgy should keep you awake.