Found a bike, need advice

dosukoi7

Mar 22, 2010
I'm new to touring, but I like it a lot. Up til now I've done mostly trails and mountain biking, but I went to Japan for a year and rode a bike to work everyday, and now that I'm back in the US I'm going to start commuting by bike.

Problem is I don't have a bike anymore. I've been borrwing my step mothers old Schwinn World Sport and I really like it. I went to a local bike store and they told me expect to spend about $850. I'm looking for a beginner to intermediate bike(so I can grow into it as I get better). I'm 5'9'' and 180 pounds. I found this bike listed on craigslist and wanted to know if it would fit me, or if it's any good at all.

It's a Schwinn LeTour.

top tube 23 inches
standover 34 inches
center of crank to seat 25 inches
shimano rear derailer
suntour xcd front derailer
araya 27x1 1/4 wheels
shimano 105 shifters

I've looked around for some advice on how to fit bikes but all I could really find is that for someone my size a good size would be about 54 cm

I appreciate the help

FWIW, IMHO you can buy *a lot* of bike for $850 in today's market, buying new. And you'd be buying a good fitting and support from the shop--something to consider. Actually I'd think you can find something really nice for a couple hundred less.

That 34" standover height on the CL Schwinn sounds pretty tall for you...that's gotta be an extra large frame. Most of the generic sizing stuff avail on the web would, I think point you to a 52 or 54cm, maybe a 56.

Give or take, these sizes are going to be in the ballpark of 28-30" standover height, which I think would be a lot more realistic for you unless you are seriously built all-legs.

That bike's way, way too big. The standover height is the height of the top of the top tube, i.e. the tube which goes from the seat tube to the frame tube that holds the fork and handlebars. It should be at least an inch lower than your inseam.

LeTours are good bikes. I think they're made from Columbus tubing. However, fit is the main thing.

Many old bikes I've worked on have dried up grease in the hubs and require a bit of an overhaul, just so you know. It's not hard and does not require expensive tools.

Google "fit calculator" & throw in some bike related keywords.

70s and 80s bikes are great. 27x1-1/4 tires are still available in several decent grades of training, touring, or cyclocross tires. I think racers typically switched to tubulars for racing in the days of 27", while training on their 27s.

I agree with both post that bike is to big. you can get a lot of bike for $850 I would go to a good bike shop and get professionally fitted. You can spend 10k on a bike and if it doesn't fit your not going to ride it. Fit is everything you can find a great road bike for $850. I don't know where you are located but 2009 cannondale Caad 9 (tiagra) is on sale for around $750, 2009 fuji roubaix is $799 (105/tiagra mix) 2009 trek 1.5 $800 (sora/tiagra). Visit your local bike shop and see what you can buy ask about close out sales.Check to see if you have a performance bike.com near you.

jagonz456 said:
I don't know where you are located but 2009 cannondale Caad 9 (tiagra) is on sale for around $750, 2009 fuji roubaix is $799 (105/tiagra mix) 2009 trek 1.5 $800 (sora/tiagra). Visit your local bike shop and see what you can buy ask about close out sales.Check to see if you have a performance bike.com near you.
Big plus-one on those bikes as great examples of what you can buy new within your range--in fact, we just bought my wife the WSD (Trek's women's line) of the 1.5--a very nice bike.

Also great advice on asking about '09 leftovers. In a lot of cases the only thing that changes from year to year is the finish selection, maybe a minor upgrade to a component or two, but unless the bike has been completely revamped, the leftover is going to pretty much on an equal footing with the current model--at a considerable discount as the shops and manufacturers want to clear the old inventory.

Bill