Found A Bike To Buy

Baston

Jul 24, 2006
Hey, before I buy my first proper road bike I figured I should consult the experts! I've been looking on ebay for a few weeks for a bargin and after deciding to spend a little bit more money I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tiger-Race-3000-Road-Racing-Race-Bike_W0QQitemZ290019231932QQihZ019QQcategoryZ72573QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know its probably a dead "cheapo" bike but does anyone know anything about them as all i can tell about it so far is it doesnt seem to be a proper brand as it were.

If you wouldnt suggest it what other bikes could I buy for less than or around the £120 mark. Im 5,8 or ,9 and weigh about 60kg.

Thanks in advance.

Baston said:
Hey, before I buy my first proper road bike I figured I should consult the experts! I've been looking on ebay for a few weeks for a bargin and after deciding to spend a little bit more money I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tiger-Race-3000-Road-Racing-Race-Bike_W0QQitemZ290019231932QQihZ019QQcategoryZ72573QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know its probably a dead "cheapo" bike but does anyone know anything about them as all i can tell about it so far is it doesnt seem to be a proper brand as it were.

If you wouldnt suggest it what other bikes could I buy for less than or around the £120 mark. Im 5,8 or ,9 and weigh about 60kg.

Thanks in advance.
Opps sorry just realised i've posted this in the wrong forums. Could someone move it please if its not too much hassle.

Baston said:

Thanks in advance.
The bike is "okay" if you are on a budget ... check the recent/current threads about the Schwinn Varsity & WalMart bikes ... undoubtedly, other than the decals & paint scheme, it is essentially the "same" (or, kindred) bike as one of those ...

The biggest issue is the frame size ... a 22" frame (56cm?) may be marginally too large for you ... a 21" frame would be better (presuming these are measured c-c and not c-t).

BTW. The description is not accurate ... the bike (as pictured) appears to have single pivot brake calipers rather than v-brakes.

The bike will have limitations, but if you can do your own wrenching, then it should be "okay" ...

AS NOTED in one of the aforementioned threads, a used, vintage steel framed bike is probably a better ride ... cheaper, and can be upgraded with the difference in cost.

FWIW. If you have a WalMart (or, similar "Department Store") NEAR you, then the ADVANTAGE over buying a bike for a local bike shop (beside the price) is that you can return it to the WalMart if you find the bike to be unsatisfactory after your extended "test" ride (say, one week or 50 miles ... ask them!) ... the LBS may (but, probably not) give you a store credit.

You may love the bike OR you may hate it -- regardless, an EASY return policy (at WalMart, and ilk) is something to consider vs. the eBay vendor on these (types of) bikes.

Watch out for the stem shifters - if you have a crash, they're like a dull blade pointed at your body.