Found a crack in my Giant ocr 3 rear wheel!!

Crocosis

Jul 18, 2010
I suspect it happened on my last commute to and from work on Tuesday. I just had a broken spoke replaced and the wheel trued about two weeks ago, it is the original wheel and the bike is a 2001 model. It looks like the crack originated from stress at one of the spokes but this is just speculation, weird thing is the tire does'nt seem to be losing any air but I know not to ride the bike until the wheel is replaced. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic...

My experience has been that once a spoke breaks on an old wheel, the end is near. But from the way that section has pulled up, it seems to me the guy who trued your wheel may have overtensioned at least that spoke. If this was my wheel, I'd consider taking it to another wheelbuilder to have it rebuilt.

Rims do that from time to time. Some say anodising is to blame, some say overtension, some say it's the price to pay for using silly light equipment outside race settings. Undoubtedly there are other opinions out there too.

And why would the tire be losing air? Last time I checked there weren't any tubeless systems available for road bikes. And even if that was the case, that's probably a double-walled rim, so the crack is one compartment away from the pressurized cavity anyhow.

I had to have a rear wheel replaced ($200) on my Giant Peigee after 12 months, because the brake pads had worn through the rim>

So seeing yours was 9 years old, I reckon you've done pretty well! BTW after every second ride I would cleann the garbage off the rims and clean the Brake pads!

I was shocked however the tech seemed to think that my experience was pretty standard with alloy wheels.