found a new place to ride!!!!!(NOT)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mpd Blue, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. Mpd Blue

    Mpd Blue Guest

    Made a "burn-out" call the other day....... (a burn-out is what we call a car that has been
    intentionally burned to hide/destroy evidence of a crime.)

    At first It looked like a SWEET place to ride: http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/niceplace.jpg

    Huge wide open paved trail, acres and acres of open field just perfect to develop a nice little loop
    on. Easily 2 square miles of area.

    One teensy little problem though: http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/warning.jpg

    Nope, I think I'll not be riding there until it dries out a bit. Not exactly the kind of mud I want
    splattered in _my_ face.

    Ahh..... Fraiser, what a town!-)

    --
    John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
    http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

    Tags:

  2. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:15:00 -0600, MPD Blue <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Made a "burn-out" call the other day....... (a burn-out is what we call a car that has been
    >intentionally burned to hide/destroy evidence of a crime.)

    You cops always having fun

    >At first It looked like a SWEET place to ride: http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/niceplace.jpg
    >
    >Huge wide open paved trail, acres and acres of open field just perfect to develop a nice little
    >loop on. Easily 2 square miles of area.
    >

    >One teensy little problem though: http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/warning.jpg

    ROFLMAO!

    >Nope, I think I'll not be riding there until it dries out a bit. Not exactly the kind of mud I want
    >splattered in _my_ face.
    >
    >Ahh..... Fraiser, what a town!-)

    Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
    on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

  3. Westie

    Westie Guest

    MPD Blue wrote: <snip>

    > One teensy little problem though: http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/warning.jpg

    Nothing like a good ride where you've gotten so dirty that you have to decontainminate yourself and
    your bike afterwards....

    Still, the night riding might be good - you won't need lights if the flora and fauna glows...
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  4. MPD Blue wrote:
    > One teensy little problem though: http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/warning.jpg

    Don't go down so easily. If you investigate that sign a little closer you might find that some
    Vandeman types put it up to keep everybody away ;)

    --
    Perre

  5. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Westie retorted :
    > MPD Blue wrote: <snip>
    >>
    >> One teensy little problem though: http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/warning.jpg
    >
    > Nothing like a good ride where you've gotten so dirty that you have to decontainminate yourself
    > and your bike afterwards....
    >
    > Still, the night riding might be good - you won't need lights if the flora and fauna glows...

    http://www.harrisonidaho.com/Maps/TrailMaps.html

    We've got this one here. The pamphlet cracks me up.The trail is built on old super fund mine
    tailings. If you read the fine print on it, there's warnings to not go off the pavement, let your
    kids play in the dirt, or use the water due to heavy metals contamination. They also reccomend that
    you wash your hands before you eat your lunch. But no one ever reads the fine print. OTOH, it's
    supposed to be a beatiful ride and there are lots of birds...

    Penny S

  6. Di

    Di Guest

    Looks like a good place for Vandeman to create his habit :<)

    "MPD Blue" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Made a "burn-out" call the other day....... (a burn-out is what we call a car that has been
    > intentionally burned to hide/destroy evidence of a crime.)
    >
    > At first It looked like a SWEET place to ride:
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/niceplace.jpg
    >
    > Huge wide open paved trail, acres and acres of open field just perfect to develop a nice little
    > loop on. Easily 2 square miles of area.
    >

    > One teensy little problem though: http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/warning.jpg
    >
    > Nope, I think I'll not be riding there until it dries out a bit. Not exactly the kind of mud I
    > want splattered in _my_ face.
    >
    > Ahh..... Fraiser, what a town!-)
    >

    > --
    > John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

  7. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Penny S wrote:
    > Westie retorted :
    >
    >>MPD Blue wrote: <snip>
    >>
    >>>One teensy little problem though: http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/warning.jpg
    >>
    >>Nothing like a good ride where you've gotten so dirty that you have to decontainminate yourself
    >>and your bike afterwards....
    >>
    >>Still, the night riding might be good - you won't need lights if the flora and fauna glows...
    >

    > http://www.harrisonidaho.com/Maps/TrailMaps.html
    >
    > We've got this one here. The pamphlet cracks me up.The trail is built on old super fund mine
    > tailings. If you read the fine print on it, there's warnings to not go off the pavement, let your
    > kids play in the dirt, or use the water due to heavy metals contamination. They also reccomend
    > that you wash your hands before you eat your lunch. But no one ever reads the fine print. OTOH,
    > it's supposed to be a beatiful ride and there are lots of birds...

    Yeah, there's an off-road area near Coalinga in the Central valley where the soil contains a lot of
    asbestos. They tell you not to breath while riding and kicking up dust.

    Greg

  8. Mpd Blue

    Mpd Blue Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > Yeah, there's an off-road area near Coalinga in the Central valley where the soil contains a lot
    > of asbestos. They tell you not to breath while riding and kicking up dust.

    Perhaps you can rig up a small supplemental air source to your camelbak?

    > Greg

    John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
    http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

  9. Westie

    Westie Guest

    G.T. wrote: <snip>

    > Yeah, there's an off-road area near Coalinga in the Central valley where the soil contains a lot
    > of asbestos. They tell you not to breath while riding and kicking up dust.

    I went riding through an old open cast asbestos mine as part of a longer ride recently. I didn't
    even think of dust - I guess that I was looking more at the crazy lumps of asbestos sticking out of
    the ground. I suppose I thought "Well, I can't inhale those! I'll be fine".
    --
    Westie (...did I just cough a little then......?) (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  10. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Westie wrote:
    > G.T. wrote: <snip>
    >
    >>Yeah, there's an off-road area near Coalinga in the Central valley where the soil contains a lot
    >>of asbestos. They tell you not to breath while riding and kicking up dust.
    >>

    > I went riding through an old open cast asbestos mine as part of a longer ride recently. I didn't
    > even think of dust - I guess that I was looking more at the crazy lumps of asbestos sticking out
    > of the ground. I suppose I thought "Well, I can't inhale those! I'll be fine".

    What the hell does it look like, anyway? The times I was in Coalinga I didn't bother finding out.

    Greg