Found bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Bates, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:24:39 +0100, in
    <[email protected]>, "Colin Blackburn"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So, I've wheeled it back to my work place and locked it up for now. It's a
    >Peugeot 12 speed (Carbolite 103 frame) with downtube shifters and drop
    >bars. The forks and stays look a bit roughened up, as if they've been
    >scraped against a wall, but the frame looks in reasonable condition. It
    >has minimal guards front and back, not sure if that makes it a road bike
    >or an audax bike. It's also my size.

    >What would anyone else do?

    Strip the frame, set in in concrete and lock your other bikes to it.

    Carbolite sounds ghastly.

    However, being the honest person I am, I would take it to the police.

    --
    "Any accidents or injuries in the last two years, sir"?

    "Yes. I broke my hand last month, punching a no-win-no-fee lawyer
    in the mouth".

    Tags:

  2. Last night I noticed what looked like an abandoned bike near Houghall
    Woods in Durham. At the time I wasn't able to consider doing anything like
    moving it. This morning I took a walk and it was still there. It looks
    like it has been abandoned rather than stolen and dumped. The saddle is
    shot, the jockey wheels have separated from the rest of the derailleur,
    the bar foam is in bits, the back wheel is warped, the brakes don't work,
    the tyres are flat,...

    So, I've wheeled it back to my work place and locked it up for now. It's a
    Peugeot 12 speed (Carbolite 103 frame) with downtube shifters and drop
    bars. The forks and stays look a bit roughened up, as if they've been
    scraped against a wall, but the frame looks in reasonable condition. It
    has minimal guards front and back, not sure if that makes it a road bike
    or an audax bike. It's also my size.

    First the technical dilemma. Is it worth salvaging something from it? I
    guess the frame could form the basis of a hack bike or a fixie? (It has
    forward facing near horizontal drop outs.)

    Second the moral dilemma. This may be someone else's bike that's been
    nicked, ridden into the ground and then dumped. However, if I wheel what
    looks like a wreck into Durham police station what are they likely to do
    with it? I guess I could read off the frame number and take that in in the
    first instance.

    What would anyone else do?

    Colin

  3. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> said:

    > First the technical dilemma. Is it worth salvaging something from it? I
    > guess the frame could form the basis of a hack bike or a fixie? (It has
    > forward facing near horizontal drop outs.)

    Fixie! You know you want to.

    > Second the moral dilemma. This may be someone else's bike that's been
    > nicked, ridden into the ground and then dumped. However, if I wheel what
    > looks like a wreck into Durham police station what are they likely to do
    > with it? I guess I could read off the frame number and take that in in the
    > first instance.

    I'd take it to the police as Lost Property. Then, if nobody claims it,
    they'll give it back to you eventually and you *still* get to feel all
    virtuous.

    Regards,

    -david

  4. On 29 Jul 2004 10:58:54 GMT, in
    <[email protected]>, David Nutter
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'd take it to the police as Lost Property. Then, if nobody claims it,
    >they'll give it back to you eventually and you *still* get to feel all
    >virtuous.

    Does this happen with bicycles? I thought they got auctioned off if
    nobody claimed them.

    --
    "Any accidents or injuries in the last two years, sir"?

    "Yes. I broke my hand last month, punching a no-win-no-fee lawyer
    in the mouth".

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > First the technical dilemma. Is it worth salvaging something from it?

    Probably not, apart from the frame.

    > Second the moral dilemma. This may be someone else's bike that's been
    > nicked, ridden into the ground and then dumped. However, if I wheel
    > what looks like a wreck into Durham police station what are they
    > likely to do with it? I guess I could read off the frame number and
    > take that in in the first instance.
    >
    > What would anyone else do?

    If in doubt, I would leave it where it was for a few days to give the
    owner an opportunity to retrieve it.

    ~PB

  6. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Richard Bates <[email protected]> said:

    > Does this happen with bicycles? I thought they got auctioned off if
    > nobody claimed them.

    I thought that was only if they're recovered stolen goods or similar. Are
    there any of URC's resident police officers around who can clarify this?

    Regards,

    -david

  7. On 29 Jul 2004 11:38:02 GMT, David Nutter <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Richard Bates <[email protected]> said:
    >
    >> Does this happen with bicycles? I thought they got auctioned off if
    >> nobody claimed them.

    > I thought that was only if they're recovered stolen goods or similar. Are
    > there any of URC's resident police officers around who can clarify this?

    And if there are I would like to point out that I am posting under an
    assumed name from a fictional university. You ain't seen me, right.

    Colin

  8. >> Richard Bates <[email protected]> said:

    >>> Does this happen with bicycles? I thought they got auctioned off if
    >>> nobody claimed them.

    Here's the gen from Durham police. I report the bike as found and register
    a description of it and my details. I retain the bike. If it isn't claimed
    in 14 days I keep the bike.

    Colin

  9. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    I think thats if the police raid a premises and find stolen property rather than being reoprted found by a member of the public.

  10. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 29/7/04 12:38 pm, in article
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Richard Bates <[email protected]> said:
    >
    >> Does this happen with bicycles? I thought they got auctioned off if
    >> nobody claimed them.

    > I thought that was only if they're recovered stolen goods or similar. Are
    > there any of URC's resident police officers around who can clarify this?

    My dad took one to kingston police station. He now has it as nobody claimed
    it.

    I presume that they'd let you keep it if no one claimed it rather than go
    through the hassle of auctioning it off..

    ...d

  11. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]

    > Last night I noticed what looked like an abandoned bike near Houghall
    > Woods in Durham. At the time I wasn't able to consider doing anything like
    > moving it. This morning I took a walk and it was still there. It looks
    > like it has been abandoned rather than stolen and dumped. The saddle is
    > shot, the jockey wheels have separated from the rest of the derailleur,
    > the bar foam is in bits, the back wheel is warped, the brakes don't work,
    > the tyres are flat,...
    >
    > So, I've wheeled it back to my work place and locked it up for now. It's a
    > Peugeot 12 speed (Carbolite 103 frame) with downtube shifters and drop
    > bars. The forks and stays look a bit roughened up, as if they've been
    > scraped against a wall, but the frame looks in reasonable condition. It
    > has minimal guards front and back, not sure if that makes it a road bike
    > or an audax bike. It's also my size.
    >
    > First the technical dilemma. Is it worth salvaging something from it? I
    > guess the frame could form the basis of a hack bike or a fixie? (It has
    > forward facing near horizontal drop outs.)
    >
    > Second the moral dilemma. This may be someone else's bike that's been
    > nicked, ridden into the ground and then dumped. However, if I wheel what
    > looks like a wreck into Durham police station what are they likely to do
    > with it? I guess I could read off the frame number and take that in in the
    > first instance.
    >
    > What would anyone else do?
    >
    > Colin

    Thats my bike!!! Or same model at least. Sounds like its in slightly worse
    state than mine but just normal wear and tear.

    Maybe mine is worth £20 tops in the local supermarket ads, that bike sounds
    like its worthless, personally I'd take it back where you found it, or the
    local dump. If its been nicked the insurance value is almost certainly more
    than the bike is worth so I would doubt the owner wants it back anyway. When
    I was doing my round the Isle Of Wight a few weeks ago, and near the end and
    completely knackered, I decided that if it punctured I'd just leave it where
    it 'fell' and get a taxi back to the ferry!

    OTOH if you want mine to try and put something together from both bikes
    (saddle good, new tape on the drops,wheels only slightly warped, derailleur
    mostly works, brakes not much cop) , you are welcome to come and collect it
    for no charge around mid Oct when I should have my new bike (otherwise you
    could have had it now). Obviously you'd need to be passing near me
    sometime(Reading) to make it worthwhile as I suppose the postage would cost
    more than the bike is worth, but again I'm willing to post if you are
    desperate and willing to pay the postage cost!

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  12. On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:13:06 GMT, Jeremy Collins
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have a vague idea about what I'd do if I saw someone riding
    > my stolen bike, so some degree of disguise might be in order if
    > you decide to overhaul it!

    Presumably, though, you would have reported it stolen and would thus have
    recovered it due to my reporting it found.

    Colin

  13. On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:38:03 GMT, Jeremy Collins
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Colin Blackburn wrote:

    >> Presumably, though, you would have reported it stolen and would thus
    >> have recovered it due to my reporting it found.

    > Yes, I did, and yes I would. But how would I know that you
    > weren't the person that nicked it?[1]

    At what point would you think that? I'm not going to ride it unless and
    until it is my property. (Although realistically I'm not going to ride it
    as it is at all.) If someone has reported it stolen it will be reunited
    with them by arrangement through the police.

    > The police naturally
    > advised me to call them if I saw someone with my bike,

    Yes, but in that case it hadn't been found and (virtually) handed in so
    the thief would be likely to be riding it, if it was being ridden. In this
    case it has been reported found so the police are unlikely to tell the
    owner to keep an eye out for it since the police know exactly where it is.

    > and
    > I wouldn't actually physically assualt anyone, so I'm just
    > speaking hypothetically.

    Of course.

    > I was simply wondering if riding someone else's stolen
    > bike might have a small probability of a confrontation
    > with the orginal owner.

    When and if I'm riding it, it will be *my* bike and I will have police
    paperwork to prove that.

    > [1] No character slur intended!

    None taken.

    Colin

  14. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:eek:[email protected]:

    > Yes, but in that case it hadn't been found and (virtually) handed in
    > so the thief would be likely to be riding it, if it was being ridden.
    > In this case it has been reported found so the police are unlikely to
    > tell the owner to keep an eye out for it since the police know
    > exactly where it is.

    Does that not work on the assumption that one police station talks to the
    other? I know they almost certainly do not on an inter-force basis, but
    even on an intra-force basis I wouldn't be too certain that they'd bother
    putting too much effort into checking about a stolen bicycle. They may send
    you to a central station (HQ?) as they do in Edinburgh, I think all found
    property goes to Fettes.

    Graeme

  15. On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:05:43 GMT, Graeme <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Does that not work on the assumption that one police station talks to the
    > other?

    Jeez, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered now. I should have left it
    in the woods.

    Colin

  16. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:05:43 GMT, Graeme <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Does that not work on the assumption that one police station talks to

    the
    > > other?

    > Jeez, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered now. I should have left it
    > in the woods.
    >
    > Colin

    LOL ...

    --

  17. "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> writes:
    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:05:43 GMT, Graeme
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Does that not work on the assumption that one police station talks to the
    > > other?

    > Jeez, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered now. I should have left
    > it in the woods.

    I reckon you'd be extremely unlikely to get spotted by the original
    owner, but I wouldn't be 100% confident that the police all clear that
    it's not been reported stolen to them is correct.

    You'll be fine. All you've done's provided some space for
    speculation and let some people pass the time. Nothing to worry about.

  18. Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > Here's the gen from Durham police. I report the bike as found and
    > register a description of it and my details. I retain the bike. If it
    > isn't claimed in 14 days I keep the bike.

    I have a vague idea about what I'd do if I saw someone riding
    my stolen bike, so some degree of disguise might be in order if
    you decide to overhaul it!

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  19. On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:12:36 +0100, Tumbleweed
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    >> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:05:43 GMT, Graeme <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Does that not work on the assumption that one police station talks to

    > the
    >> > other?

    >> Jeez, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered now. I should have left it
    >> in the woods.
    >>
    >> Colin

    > LOL ...

    Well, at the moment I am living in fear of being dragged off a bike built
    around a 1980's Peugeot low-end frame by someone who thinks I nicked his
    bike because he reported it stolen in Spennymoor while I found it in
    Durham. And, despite being worth less than the insurance money, he was
    really attached to that scruffy old twelve speed with those cute fall-off
    jockey wheels.

    I think a tin of hammerite might be in order.

    Colin

  20. Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:13:06 GMT, Jeremy Collins
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a vague idea about what I'd do if I saw someone riding
    >> my stolen bike, so some degree of disguise might be in order if
    >> you decide to overhaul it!

    > Presumably, though, you would have reported it stolen and would thus
    > have recovered it due to my reporting it found.

    Yes, I did, and yes I would. But how would I know that you
    weren't the person that nicked it?[1] The police naturally
    advised me to call them if I saw someone with my bike, and
    I wouldn't actually physically assualt anyone, so I'm just
    speaking hypothetically.

    I was simply wondering if riding someone else's stolen
    bike might have a small probability of a confrontation
    with the orginal owner.

    Of course it's equally likely that this bike was flytipped
    (if that's a word), in which case you're doing a good
    service to the environment and getting a free bike too!