found in charity shop

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mr [email protected] \ -Lsqco, May 6, 2003.

  1. A book on cycle sport, by a German doctor called Peter Konopka, who was also team doctor to Bayern
    Munich (and has also won trophies for road racing).

    This is an English translation with a forward by Malcolm Elliot.

    However, in the section on clothing - it does show 4 German chaps in a pose similar to the members
    of Kraftwerk [1].

    3 of the 4 are wearing b*bshorts - are these a Teutonic invention and a development of Lederhosen?

    The fourth, however is wearing normal cycling shorts. all 4 appear to be keeping a lookout on
    something in the distance - perhaps he is there to warn the others.

    "Achtung! Also kommt hier die Bodenplattenfee. Vorsicht Bodenplatten!" :)

    Alex
    [1] Perhaps as a tribute to Kraftwerk composing a track called "Tour de France?"

    Tags:

  2. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

  3. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Apparently Kraftwerk are/were big fans of cycling if not riders themselves. They regularly feature
    in my MP3 playlists.

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A book on cycle sport, by a German doctor called Peter Konopka, who was
    also
    > team doctor to Bayern Munich (and has also won trophies for road racing).
    >
    > This is an English translation with a forward by Malcolm Elliot.
    >
    > However, in the section on clothing - it does show 4 German chaps in a
    pose
    > similar to the members of Kraftwerk [1].
    >
    > 3 of the 4 are wearing b*bshorts - are these a Teutonic invention and a development of Lederhosen?
    >
    > The fourth, however is wearing normal cycling shorts. all 4 appear to be keeping a lookout on
    > something in the distance - perhaps he is there to
    warn
    > the others.
    >
    > "Achtung! Also kommt hier die Bodenplattenfee. Vorsicht Bodenplatten!" :)
    >
    > Alex
    > [1] Perhaps as a tribute to Kraftwerk composing a track called "Tour de France?"

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > 3 of the 4 are wearing b*bshorts - are these a Teutonic invention and a development of Lederhosen?

    Are we supposed to cycle along slapping our thighs then?

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  5. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Apparently Kraftwerk are/were big fans of cycling if not riders themselves. They regularly feature
    > in my MP3 playlists.

    They are indeed. It's reported that during the '80s people would turn up to interview them, only do
    discover that half the group were off cycling.

    Toby

    --
    Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

  6. W K

    W K Guest

  7. Marc

    Marc Guest

  8. W K schrieb:
    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> In news:[email protected], Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]
    >> <[email protected]> typed:
    >> >
    >> > 3 of the 4 are wearing b*bshorts - are these a Teutonic invention and a development of
    >> > Lederhosen?
    >> >

    >> Are we supposed to cycle along slapping our thighs then?
    >
    > Yodelling to warn dozy pedestrians of our arrival.

    Do not forget to have your yodelling diploma at hand whenever someone might ask for it.

    <http://www.matthias-kaldenbach.de/eigenes.mp3> or <http://www.jodelkurs.de/eng_index.html>
    respectively.

    Hans, SCNR

    --
    Hans Friedlaender <http://hans.friedlaender.org> Anything is possible except skiing trough a
    revolving door.

  9. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Reminds me of when I was touring New Zealand alone. After a few months I think I started to go a
    bit mad with the solitude. Anyway to relieve the situation I went to the Canterbury Show (lots of
    cattle & tractors) with some others. In the beer tent was a Bavarian (style) Band with song sheets
    on the tables encouraging one to sing along - we did and I kept the song sheet. Once I resumed my
    trip I decided I needed a silly half hour at 1pm each day so I'd whip out the song sheet, fit it in
    my map window on the handlebar bag and bellow out whatever song was there. All this whilst riding
    along, after a while I dared myself not to stop singing when riding through villages. !!! Then it
    developed into shouting at animals like "hey rawhide" as I rode past cattle, or "mint sauce" as I
    rode past sheep

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...

    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:b9aevv$h77[email protected]...
    > > In news:[email protected], Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]
    > > <[email protected]> typed:
    > > >
    > > > 3 of the 4 are wearing b*bshorts - are these a Teutonic invention and a development of
    > > > Lederhosen?
    > > >

    > > Are we supposed to cycle along slapping our thighs then?
    >
    > Yodelling to warn dozy pedestrians of our arrival.

  10. Guy Chapman

    Guy Chapman Guest

    [email protected] (marc) wrote in message
    news:<1ful3vg.hoc27613pcdb4N%[email protected]>...

    > > "Achtung! Also kommt hier die Bodenplattenfee. Vorsicht Bodenplatten!" :)

    > Has the paving slab fairy got as far as Germany?

    Who was it coined the term "Lycrahosen" to describe the offending gamrnets?

  11. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > Then it developed into shouting at animals like "hey rawhide" as I rode past cattle, or "mint
    > sauce" as I rode past sheep

    I moo at sheep, baa at horses and neigh at cows so that they get confused.

    Mark

  12. >Has the paving slab fairy got as far as Germany?

    Oh yes, the paving slab has been to Germany on several occasions :)

    Prost!
    PSF

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  13. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Apparently Kraftwerk are/were big fans of cycling if not riders themselves. They regularly
    > > feature in my MP3 playlists.
    >
    > They are indeed. It's reported that during the '80s people would turn up
    > interview them, only do discover that half the group were off cycling.

    I've got an interview on tape with them talking about cycling. I'll put it on my site.

  14. "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Then it developed into shouting at animals like "hey rawhide" as I rode past cattle, or "mint
    > > sauce" as I rode past sheep
    >
    > I moo at sheep, baa at horses and neigh at cows so that they get confused.
    >
    > Mark

    But you'll only confuse the ones who don't know a foreign language!

    (this joke comes to you courtesy of Ken Dodd, 1746)

    Regards,

    Pete.

  15. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Guy Chapman wrote:
    > Who was it coined the term "Lycrahosen" to describe the offending gamrnets?

    I came up with the term (on 31/10/02 according to Google), but I'd be surprised if no-one else had
    used it before.

    Sure enough, Google also shows that Dave Kahn used it on 17/05/02. I also found the term on a couple
    of German language posts, the earliest being on 20/05/98 on de.rec.fahrrad. Babel Fish translates
    that post as:

    "If I write here over my experiences, e.g. that I shave myself wet, wildly tents, Lycrahosen without
    employment carry, pedals mitm Inbus tighten etc., am primary that * my * experiences. Others, e.g.
    electrical electric shaver [ TM ], are not invited to copy it without closer inspection and
    unreflected - the attempt of the wet shaving approximately can end under certain conditions in a
    blood bath. And not with see above to torques tightened pedal possibly one loses. "

    So I'm not entirely sure whether it's about bibshorts.

    Thomas Paine

  16. Flembo

    Flembo Guest

    > "Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > >
    > > > Apparently Kraftwerk are/were big fans of cycling if not riders themselves. They regularly
    > > > feature in my MP3 playlists.
    > >
    > > They are indeed. It's reported that during the '80s people would turn up
    > > interview them, only do discover that half the group were off cycling.
    >
    > I've got an interview on tape with them talking about cycling. I'll put
    it
    > on my site. http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    I'd love to hear that... but bear in mind they do have a notorious reputation for being litigious.

    I'd also like to see the article mentioned by Pascal Bussy in his Kraftwerk book 'Man Machine and
    Music' which features Ralf Hutter's bike collection in 'a French cycling monthly'... That's all the
    info there is in the book so I've no idea what magazine he was talking about. Any clues, anybody?

    Another thing about Kraftwerk and their cycling connection... they actually do a range of
    band-related cycling shirts on their merchandise website http://www.klingklang.com/ (35 Euro for the
    Tour de France artwork, 30 for the others)

    I've got some more nonsense about shirts but I'll stick that in another post

    cheers -Andy Fleming

  17. M Series

    M Series Guest

    The TdF shirt is so cool, does anyone know about the quality of these garments ?

    "flembo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > They are indeed. It's reported that during the '80s people would turn
    up
    > > > interview them, only do discover that half the group were off cycling.
    > >
    > > I've got an interview on tape with them talking about cycling. I'll put
    > it
    > > on my site. http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
    >
    > I'd love to hear that... but bear in mind they do have a notorious reputation for being litigious.
    >
    > I'd also like to see the article mentioned by Pascal Bussy in his
    Kraftwerk
    > book 'Man Machine and Music' which features Ralf Hutter's bike collection
    in
    > 'a French cycling monthly'... That's all the info there is in the book so I've no idea what
    > magazine he was talking about. Any clues, anybody?
    >
    > Another thing about Kraftwerk and their cycling connection... they
    actually
    > do a range of band-related cycling shirts on their merchandise website http://www.klingklang.com/
    > (35 Euro for the Tour de France artwork, 30 for the others)
    >
    > I've got some more nonsense about shirts but I'll stick that in another
    post

    > cheers -Andy Fleming

  18. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Oh yes, the paving slab has been to Germany on several occasions :)

    Today Chermany. Tomorrow ze vorld!

    --
    Dave...

  19. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    M Series wrote:
    > The TdF shirt is so cool, does anyone know about the quality of these garments ?

    If anyone has one and its any good, let us know as its my burthday coming up
    :)

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  20. Marc

    Marc Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Has the paving slab fairy got as far as Germany?
    >
    > Oh yes, the paving slab has been to Germany on several occasions :)

    But not often enough to recognize herself in German? :)

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/