four seasons in an hour

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
On Monday I had a bad migraine and spent the day curled up, in the dark, being ministered to by a
certain one-eyed black-furred ladycat who didn't leave my side, but stayed with me, purring quietly
her healing purrs. She is a sweetie to me when I have a migraine. I don't know *how* she knows when
I've got a bad one, but she does know, and she is such a sweetie of a nurse cat!

On Tuesday the migraine had gone, but I was left with post-migraine fatigue which had me exhausted
all day, so it was another day mostly curled up with a purring cat, apart from a quick zoom out
early evening to take some pictures of storm clouds passing by.

Today the migraine and its fatigue had truly gone, and I was going stir crazy. The rain, hail and
wind outside did not put me off. Interspersed with the bad weather was glorious sunshine, so I
kitted up - long leggings, boots, long sleeved cycling jersey, gloves, helmet & waterproof. There
was no way I was going to be indoors another minute. I got my old hybrid bike out - I haven't
ridden it for some eighteen months since getting my Bianchi road bike. But I just felt in need of
riding it today.

What a change from the road bike! The hybrid is much slower and took a bit of getting re-used to as
it has a more upright riding position than my Bianchi and the gearing is different. It is still a
lovely bike to ride though. Within five minutes of setting off, the heavens opened and I was covered
in small lumps of ice - hail. I almost turned tail and came home, but I really, really needed the
exercise, so I kept going. Between hail showers the day was glorious. Big East Anglian skies full of
separate storm cells - the sky was wonderful; big vertical cloud walls of dark grey and black with
the tops high up, and sheets of grey rain falling from those in the distance, surrounded by areas of
clear blue and fluffy white cumulus with bright sunshine. The wind was fairly making the clouds scud
across the sky, which meant I was under storm clouds on several occasions to get wet and iced over.
I think I got four seasons of weather in an hour! It was lovely. One minute I was covered in ice,
the next it was steaming off me as I entered bright sunshine.

My hybrid doesn't have mudguards, so I arrived home with a very wet bottom and filthy back from all
of the water, dirt and grit thrown up by the wheels of the bike. I also had a very red face from
the wind and damp knees. I ran upstairs, stripped off and soaked in a hot bath full of relaxing
bubbles. Glorious.

The cats think I am mad but I can't wait for tomorrow.

Cheers, Helen s

Tuesday, 13 May 2003

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
> Within five minutes of setting off, the heavens opened and I was covered in small lumps of ice -
> hail. I almost turned tail and came home, but I really, really needed the exercise, so I kept
> going. Between hail showers the day was glorious. Big East Anglian skies full of separate storm
> cells - the sky was wonderful; big vertical cloud walls of dark grey and black with the tops high
> up, and sheets of grey rain falling from those in the distance, surrounded by areas of clear blue
> and fluffy white cumulus with bright sunshine. The wind was fairly making the clouds scud across
> the sky, which meant I was under storm clouds on several occasions to get wet and iced over. I
> think I got four seasons of weather in an hour! It was lovely. One minute I was covered in ice,
> the next it was steaming off me as I entered bright sunshine.

Woo.

I quite like this weather in an odd way. I would imagine its pretty bad for trying to cycle
somewhere in a hurry :)

--

-Alex

----------------------------------
[email protected]

http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
----------------------------------

>I would imagine its pretty bad for trying to cycle somewhere in a hurry :)

It's alright for me as I find it impossible to cycle anywhere in a hurry anyhow!

Cheers, helen s :)

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

On Tue, 13 May 2003 21:40:35 +0000, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

> On Monday I had a bad migraine and spent the day curled up, in the dark, being ministered to by a
> certain one-eyed black-furred ladycat who didn't leave my side, but stayed with me, purring
> quietly her healing purrs. She is a sweetie to me when I have a migraine. I don't know *how* she
> knows when I've got a bad one, but she does know, and she is such a sweetie of a nurse cat!

I read recently about serious plans to train dogs to sniff out cancers. I believe they already can
detect skin cancers.

Tell the cat to keep up the good work, and give her a treat from all of us.

>I read recently about serious plans to train dogs to sniff out cancers. I believe they already can
>detect skin cancers.

Indeed there are. I'd just love to know how madam can tell I've got a *bad* migraine!

>Tell the cat to keep up the good work, and give her a treat from all of us.

Will do. Now, if only she'd catch that mole which is wrecking my garden! She's great at catching
mice, shrews, voles, rats, plus the odd pigeon & rabbit (not bad for a little cat weighing only
6lbs) and who has delusions of being able to bring down a deer, but somehow, moles elude her fangs
and claws :( Mind you, the other two felines could get into mole-catching mode too!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> [...]
making
> the clouds scud across the sky, which meant I was under storm clouds on
several
> occasions to get wet and iced over. I think I got four seasons of weather
in an
> hour! It was lovely. One minute I was covered in ice, the next it was
steaming
> off me as I entered bright sunshine.
>
> My hybrid doesn't have mudguards, so I arrived home with a very wet bottom
and
> filthy back from all of the water, dirt and grit thrown up by the wheels
of the
> bike. I also had a very red face from the wind and damp knees. I ran
upstairs,
> stripped off and soaked in a hot bath full of relaxing bubbles. Glorious.
>
> The cats think I am mad but I can't wait for tomorrow.

Rather like riding a bike, eh Helen ? Migrane = uphills. Ride out in the elements = downhills.
Sorry, my philosophy following my JOGLE ride ;-)

Thanks for your support following my mid-way report by the way. It came direct to my inbox rather
than to the ng. Tried replying directly but got your return address wrong. Been meaning to thank
you since.

Regarding the migrane. I suffer from them occassionally and found the best remedy was ibuprofen,
specifically Safeways own brand, Cuprofen, for some reason. As a demonstration of just how good
these were *for me*, I lost it big time to a migrane at work once, to the point where I couldn't
understand what people were saying to me and when I responded the wrong words came out. I drove
home, which was probably one of the stupidest things I've done in my life, luckily it was straight
up the M6 (straight road, 3 lanes to play with, no cyclists, pedestrians, traffic lights or islands
;-). Got home, popped a cuprofen, went to bed. I woke up to the phone ringing an hour later. Had no
idea where or why I was. I was totally disoriented for a few seconds which was amusing for the
person on the other end of the phone. The migrane had totally disappeared, no after effects or
anything. In fact, I actually felt refreshed and as if I'd had a good nights sleep! In addition to
this I managed to avert a migrane I felt coming on after competing in the 1999 London Triathlon. I
was driving back up the M11 when I started getting the symptoms, vision closing down to the point
where I lost central vision and had to rely on peripheral. Having taken one as soon as it started,
the symptoms subsided and I returned to 'normal' fairly soon after the loss of central vision. I
know they're not as touchy feely as the cat, but if they can work that fast, you could have a little
lie down with the cat as compensation afterwards. I also appreciate that the same thing doesn't
always work for everyone. HTH, Cheers, Dave

>Rather like riding a bike, eh Helen ? Migrane = uphills. Ride out in the elements = downhills.
>Sorry, my philosophy following my JOGLE ride ;-)

Ack no - riding a bike is always enjoyable :) Even on a uphill I can get off if it's too long/too
steep, unlike a s*dding migraine ;-)

>Thanks for your support following my mid-way report by the way. It came direct to my inbox rather
>than to the ng. Tried replying directly but got your return address wrong. Been meaning to thank
>you since.

Most welcome - I would *love* to do the JOGLE or the LEJOG, one day - when I'm fitter and leaner!

>Regarding the migrane. I suffer from them occassionally and found the best remedy was ibuprofen,
>specifically Safeways own brand, Cuprofen, for some reason.

Then snipped...

Sadly I can't tolerate ibuprofen - only the topical stuff rubbed into say, a sore knee, but to take
oral ibuprofen is vomit-inducing for me and it is not a pretty sight!

Your migraines sound very like Vernon's. Thankfully he only gets one or two a year and they are just
as you describe yours. Mine are different - I don't get the slurring stuff, just the *intense* head
pain. I've broken bones and gone through childbirth and neither of those are as bad a migraine pain.
After a bad migraine I am left with post-migraine fatigue which is awful.

Over the years, and having gone the gamut of all the NHS will offer and all that can be bought over
the counter, plus acupuncture, the only thing which works for me is magnesium. I take a daily
magnesium supplement (and calcium as you have to balance these two). The difference for me is
incredible. At one point I was having almost constant migraines which left me virtually bedridden
- at one point for almost a year (not nice). Magnesium has had the effect of now I get maybe one a
month or couple of months and they are of shorter duration, less painful and way less frequent. I
can cope with this :)

I think it's one of the reasons I so love cycling, even if I am fatbirdonabike
- after being virtually bedridden, the sheer joy of being able to live a normal life and get out in
the fresh air on my bike is *wonderful*.

I must admit, I do worry a bit about Nathan. Migrianes can have a genetic link and as both Vernon
and I suffer from them, I hope Nathan doesn't develop them.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Four seasons in an hour, eh? I have an horrible suspicion that we'll encounter something very
similar next weekend when riding to the pub from grate frend gNick's house. Something to do with the
pub being seventy-five miles away on the opposite side of the Pennines. Urk.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> >Rather like riding a bike, eh Helen ? Migrane = uphills. Ride out in the elements = downhills.
> >Sorry, my philosophy following my JOGLE ride ;-)
>
> Ack no - riding a bike is always enjoyable :) Even on a uphill I can get
off if
> it's too long/too steep, unlike a s*dding migraine ;-)

Good point ! - A thousand miles for a duff philosophy, damn!!

> >Thanks for your support following my mid-way report by the way. It came direct to my inbox rather
> >than to the ng. Tried replying directly but got your return address wrong. Been meaning to thank
> >you since.
>
> Most welcome - I would *love* to do the JOGLE or the LEJOG, one day - when
I'm
> fitter and leaner!

Don't wait for it, do it now. Promise you will be leaner and fitter by the end of it ;-)...it only
takes about 3 days to get into your stride....honest!

> >Regarding the migrane. I suffer from them occassionally and found the
best
> >remedy was ibuprofen, specifically Safeways own brand, Cuprofen, for some reason.
>
> Then snipped...
>
> Sadly I can't tolerate ibuprofen - only the topical stuff rubbed into say,
> sore knee, but to take oral ibuprofen is vomit-inducing for me and it is
not a
> pretty sight!

Now that is a shame. I really do find it a wonder drug, despite what is now coming to light about it
not being very good for the intestinal tract....
:-{...hhhmm, thinking about it, maybe you are the lucky one ;-)

> Your migraines sound very like Vernon's. Thankfully he only gets one or
two a
> year and they are just as you describe yours. Mine are different - I don't
get
> the slurring stuff, just the *intense* head pain. I've broken bones and
gone
> through childbirth and neither of those are as bad a migraine pain. After
a bad
> migraine I am left with post-migraine fatigue which is awful.

I have had a suspicion that we describe these things, generally as a migrane, whereas they are
probably different things, with differing causes and symptoms, but 'cos it's 'not very nice stuff
with the head', it's described as a migrane. I took mine to the docs following the work attack and
he just said oh, it's just a migrane and looked at me as if to ask why I'd gone to see him..... Mine
seem to be bought on by excessive exercise followed by eating chocolate. A friend at work reckoned
it was hypoglycaemia (spelt wrong, I know) I think, so being careful with my diet around exercise
time is usually sufficient to ward them off. Only get caught out occassionally.

> Over the years, and having gone the gamut of all the NHS will offer and
all
> that can be bought over the counter, plus acupuncture, the only thing
which
> works for me is magnesium. I take a daily magnesium supplement (and
calcium as
> you have to balance these two). The difference for me is incredible.

Glad to hear it...

>At one point I was having almost constant migraines which left me virtually
bedridden
> - at one point for almost a year (not nice).

Big ouch !!

> Magnesium has had the effect of now I get maybe one a month or couple of months and they are of
> shorter duration, less painful and way less frequent. I can cope with this :)
>
> I think it's one of the reasons I so love cycling, even if I am
fatbirdonabike
> - after being virtually bedridden, the sheer joy of being able to live a
normal
> life and get out in the fresh air on my bike is *wonderful*.
>
> I must admit, I do worry a bit about Nathan. Migrianes can have a genetic
link
> and as both Vernon and I suffer from them, I hope Nathan doesn't develop
them.

Hopefully progress will provide 'the answer' in the near future.....

> Cheers, helen s

Indeed ;-), Dave.

[email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Indeed there are. I'd just love to know how madam can tell I've got a *bad* migraine!

Probably a mixture of body language and telepathy.

--
Dave...

news:<[email protected]>...
> Four seasons in an hour, eh? I have an horrible suspicion that we'll encounter something very
> similar next weekend when riding to the pub from grate frend gNick's house. Something to do with
> the pub being seventy-five miles away on the opposite side of the Pennines. Urk.

Just a quick one then nip back?

--
Dave...

Dave Kahn wrote:

> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Four seasons in an hour, eh? I have an horrible suspicion that we'll encounter something very
>> similar next weekend when riding to the pub from grate frend gNick's house. Something to do with
>> the pub being seventy-five miles away on the opposite side of the Pennines. Urk.
>
> Just a quick one then nip back?

Something like that. Give or take spending the night in the handy B&B at the end of the block...

Actually, the 5-day forecast seems to be showing improbably good weather for the weekend. [FX: Man
clasping desk with enough force to leave dents in MDF or whatever evil mank the thing is made from]

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Following on from John Hearns's message. . .
>Tell the cat to keep up the good work, and give her a treat from all of us.
Take her with you - fit kitty cranks.
--
PETER FOX Not the same since the statuette business went bust

Witham Cycling Campaign www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm East Anglian Pub cycle rides
www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides

On 13 May 2003 21:40:35 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

"four seasons in an hour..."

That's nothing. I once ate an American Hot with extra pepperoni in under five minutes...

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

>That's nothing. I once ate an American Hot with extra pepperoni in under five minutes...

Piglet.

Cheers, helen s