Fox Float problem

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Per LöWdin, Apr 5, 2003.

  1. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
    Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
    Fox Float do or will it have to be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus Switchblade.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

    Tags:

  2. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
    > Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
    > Fox Float do or will it have
    > be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus Switchblade.
    >
    > Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

    I have a Float R, the only difference is the lockout feature.

  3. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
    | Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
    | Fox Float do or will it have
    | be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus Switchblade.
    |
    | Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

    Measure the eye to eye length of the shock. Since this is the 2 points of attachment to the frame
    you could in essence fit any shock with identical eye to eye length.

    However, differences in shock types would and could drastically alter the ride of the bike.

    If you are getting the shock serviced one alternative is to get a length of metal bar cut a piece to
    be the same size as the shock and drill holes at the "eye to eye" lengths. Attach this in place of
    your shock and ride your bike as a hardtail until your shock is returned in working order.

    Simon...........just my little bit!|

  4. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
    > Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
    > Fox Float do or will it have
    > be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus Switchblade.

    There are jillions of Fox Float models. You need to get the right one to fit your bike
    (eyelet-to-eyelet distance is a major factor).

    Just tell your supplier (LBS, mail order house, etc.) what kind of bike it's for, and they should be
    able to get you the right Fox.

    Bill "fellow Switchblade* owner" S.

    *I've had my share of problems with bike -- two frame warranty claims among other things -- but not
    your Float woes! Bushings have held up for ~2 years, and no leaks (knock on shaft -- errr, rubber
    o-ring -- errr, :)

  5. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > I have a Float R, the only difference is the lockout feature.

    Yes, but would it be useable on any bike with a Float? I think at least some Floats are
    "customised", i.e., adapted to certain bikes, that they are not all standard issue, particularly for
    certain Titus Racer-X models, the xxs and xs possibly. I wonder if I can just order a Float from the
    nearest place or if I have to turn to Titus?

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

  6. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a Float R, the only difference is the lockout feature.
    >
    > Yes, but would it be useable on any bike with a Float? I think at least
    some
    > Floats are "customised", i.e., adapted to certain bikes, that they are not all standard issue,
    > particularly for certain Titus Racer-X models, the xxs and xs possibly. I wonder if I can just
    > order a Float from the nearest
    place
    > or if I have to turn to Titus?
    >
    > Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

    Just make sure you measure the length of your Float before getting a replacement

  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a Float R, the only difference is the lockout feature.
    >
    > Yes, but would it be useable on any bike with a Float? I think at least some Floats are
    > "customised", i.e., adapted to certain bikes, that they are not all standard issue, particularly
    > for certain Titus Racer-X models, the xxs and xs possibly. I wonder if I can just order a Float
    > from the nearest place or if I have to turn to Titus?
    >
    > Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

    For the most part, air shocks (same eye to eye) are the same, but differences are in the
    bushings/spacers for the upper and lower mounts. So the shocks you see for sale are just generic
    fitting and/or only made to fit one particular frame, which doesn't necessarily mean it won't fit
    other frames, it just wasn't spec'd that way from the factory. I've yet to see a cross reference
    chart detailing if it fits "this" frame, it will also fit "this" frame(s).

    I would contact Titus and Fox to get more accurate info to make sure; shocks aren't exactly cheap.

    --
    Slacker

  8. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > *I've had my share of problems with bike -- two frame warranty claims
    among
    > other things -- but not your Float woes! Bushings have held up for ~2 years, and no leaks (knock
    > on shaft -- errr, rubber o-ring -- errr, :)

    What was wrong with the frame?

    Per

  9. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > *I've had my share of problems with bike -- two frame warranty claims
    > among
    > > other things -- but not your Float woes! Bushings have held up for ~2 years, and no leaks (knock
    > > on shaft -- errr, rubber o-ring -- errr, :)
    >
    > What was wrong with the frame?
    >
    > Per

    If you can be bothered with it you can replace the seals yourself. The kit costs about $2.50US and
    is easy to install. They even have a downloadable service video for it here:
    http://www.foxracingshox.com/mountainbike/html/movies.html

    Also check to see if the mounting bolts are bent. This will but strain on the shock and cause it
    to leak air.

    HTH,

    Mike

  10. Kayak777

    Kayak777 Guest

    Fox has a chart on their website listing the eye-to-eye distance and stroke for various bikes. Or,
    tell the shop or mail-order place what model frame you have and they'll figure it out. I just got a
    replacement from Speedgoat and they managed to send me the correct one. They also sell a tool for
    replacing the bushings that makes it a lot easier than using copper tubing like I was doing before.

    "Per Löwdin" wrote:

    > I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
    > Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
    > Fox Float do or will it have to be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus
    > Switchblade.
    >
    > Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

  11. snip

    > If you can be bothered with it you can replace the seals yourself. The
    kit
    > costs about $2.50US and is easy to install. They even have a downloadable service video for it
    > here: http://www.foxracingshox.com/mountainbike/html/movies.html
    >
    > Also check to see if the mounting bolts are bent. This will but strain on the shock and cause it
    > to leak air.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Mike

    Mike, Where did you get the bushing kit?

    DTW

  12. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > *I've had my share of problems with bike -- two frame warranty claims
    > among
    > > other things -- but not your Float woes! Bushings have held up for ~2 years, and no leaks (knock
    > > on shaft -- errr, rubber o-ring -- errr, :)
    >
    > What was wrong with the frame?

    Bike had play in the rear from the beginning. Turned out the upper swingarm (? -- the part with the
    seat stays) wasn't up to spec. Replaced it; play gone.

    Then I noticed a crack in the LOWER swingarm (? -- the part with the chain stays) right near the
    bottom bracket. Replaced with a much beefier version.

    Bill "only thing left now is the front/upper section (not really a 'triangle') but warranty's
    almost up" S.

  13. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > snip
    >

    > > If you can be bothered with it you can replace the seals yourself. The
    > kit
    > > costs about $2.50US and is easy to install. They even have a
    downloadable
    > > service video for it here: http://www.foxracingshox.com/mountainbike/html/movies.html
    > >
    > > Also check to see if the mounting bolts are bent. This will but strain
    on
    > > the shock and cause it to leak air.
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > Mike, Where did you get the bushing kit?
    >
    > DTW

    I ordered them direct from Fox Racing Shocks. Fox Racing Shox Tel: 831-768-1100 Email:
    [email protected]

    Mike

  14. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet news:[email protected]...

    > If you can be bothered with it you can replace the seals yourself. The
    kit costs about $2.50US and is easy to install. They even have a downloadable service video for it
    here: http://www.foxracingshox.com/mountainbike/html/movies.html

    It is rather difficult. You need a huge vise with plates or some other protection so you don´t
    scratch the shock. I attempted it and failed. Well, I quit as the shock would not open (in spite of
    innertubes), and I was afraid that I would damage it.

    > Also check to see if the mounting bolts are bent. This will but strain
    on the shock and cause it to leak air.

    I will have a look at them, thanks. I am quite happy with my Switchblade except for the rear shock.
    Now, I have changed the inserts in the lower eyelets four times and it has got a leak. Titus is
    making a new part that replaces the present set up, and should be much more durable. Speedgoat is
    sending me some. However, I would prefer to buy the new shock in Europe, shorter shipping time and
    less WAT, if it is a standard one. I checked Titus homepage and it seems there is a special valving
    for the Racer-X. Does not tell about the Switchblade.

    Apparently, the Tracers have the same weakness.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

  15. All the fox floats are the same in size, they just have different external knobs for lockout e.t.c,
    so just getting a float and banging it will be fine, if you have the long travel switchblade (like
    me) you will find that the clearance of the shock to the frame will stop you running some other
    shocks (sid wont work) you can't put a talas shock on a pre 2003 Switchblade as it just wont fit, I
    do believe that Titus UK have a switchblade with a DT Swiss fitted

    The eye to eye length of the Float is 200mm and you cannot put a coil spring on the switchblade (not
    designed and would not fit)

    Cheers

    Chris

    http://www.mtbbikes.co.uk

  16. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    "Chris Garwood" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
    news:[email protected]...
    > All the fox floats are the same in size,

    No, they come in different lengths, my wife rides a Racer X, extra small, and its shock is shorter
    and valved for a light rider, etc. though most others seems to be standard.
    http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTBruntUppsala/bilder/led2a.JPG

    > they just have different external knobs for lockout e.t.c, so just getting a float and banging it
    > will be fine, if you have the long travel switchblade (like me)

    I will soon, discovered today that it would be cheaper to buy the complete long travel kit including
    the shock from Titus than to buy just a shock from the UK distributor. Hope it will not change the
    angles too much, have a 100 mm Marathon which is a rather high fork, from axle to crown, so it
    should be OK.

    I have also coming to me from Speedgoat a new set of spacers and "eyelet" insersts. Hope this will
    take care of my problem for good.

    Chers Per

  17. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 18:10:15 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
    >Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
    >Fox Float do or will it have to be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus
    >Switchblade.
    >
    >Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

    I don't get it...I just don't get. Why would anyone need a Fox Float when you can ride a hardtail?

    :-]

  18. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  19. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I don't get it...I just don't get.

    It's all the SS ranting, puts the women right off............

    Shaun aRe Gets it.

  20. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 18:10:15 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
    > >Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any
    > >standard Fox Float do or will it have to be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus
    > >Switchblade.
    > >
    > >Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

    Actually it probably needed to be serviced and now it needs to be repaired. You should take it apart
    at least once a season to clean and lube the large o-ring on the cylinder. Now that o-ring probably
    needs to be replaed, if so it's a 10 minute job.
    --