Fox Float problem

Per LöWdin

Guest
I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
Fox Float do or will it have to be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus Switchblade.

Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

--
http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
> Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
> Fox Float do or will it have
> be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus Switchblade.
>
> Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

I have a Float R, the only difference is the lockout feature.

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
| Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
| Fox Float do or will it have
| be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus Switchblade.
|
| Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

Measure the eye to eye length of the shock. Since this is the 2 points of attachment to the frame
you could in essence fit any shock with identical eye to eye length.

However, differences in shock types would and could drastically alter the ride of the bike.

If you are getting the shock serviced one alternative is to get a length of metal bar cut a piece to
be the same size as the shock and drill holes at the "eye to eye" lengths. Attach this in place of
your shock and ride your bike as a hardtail until your shock is returned in working order.

Simon...........just my little bit!|

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
> Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
> Fox Float do or will it have
> be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus Switchblade.

There are jillions of Fox Float models. You need to get the right one to fit your bike
(eyelet-to-eyelet distance is a major factor).

Just tell your supplier (LBS, mail order house, etc.) what kind of bike it's for, and they should be
able to get you the right Fox.

Bill "fellow Switchblade* owner" S.

*I've had my share of problems with bike -- two frame warranty claims among other things -- but not
your Float woes! Bushings have held up for ~2 years, and no leaks (knock on shaft -- errr, rubber
o-ring -- errr, :)

> I have a Float R, the only difference is the lockout feature.

Yes, but would it be useable on any bike with a Float? I think at least some Floats are
"customised", i.e., adapted to certain bikes, that they are not all standard issue, particularly for
certain Titus Racer-X models, the xxs and xs possibly. I wonder if I can just order a Float from the
nearest place or if I have to turn to Titus?

Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

--
http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I have a Float R, the only difference is the lockout feature.
>
> Yes, but would it be useable on any bike with a Float? I think at least
some
> Floats are "customised", i.e., adapted to certain bikes, that they are not all standard issue,
> particularly for certain Titus Racer-X models, the xxs and xs possibly. I wonder if I can just
> order a Float from the nearest
place
> or if I have to turn to Titus?
>
> Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

Just make sure you measure the length of your Float before getting a replacement

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I have a Float R, the only difference is the lockout feature.
>
> Yes, but would it be useable on any bike with a Float? I think at least some Floats are
> "customised", i.e., adapted to certain bikes, that they are not all standard issue, particularly
> for certain Titus Racer-X models, the xxs and xs possibly. I wonder if I can just order a Float
> from the nearest place or if I have to turn to Titus?
>
> Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

For the most part, air shocks (same eye to eye) are the same, but differences are in the
bushings/spacers for the upper and lower mounts. So the shocks you see for sale are just generic
fitting and/or only made to fit one particular frame, which doesn't necessarily mean it won't fit
other frames, it just wasn't spec'd that way from the factory. I've yet to see a cross reference
chart detailing if it fits "this" frame, it will also fit "this" frame(s).

I would contact Titus and Fox to get more accurate info to make sure; shocks aren't exactly cheap.

--
Slacker

> *I've had my share of problems with bike -- two frame warranty claims
among
> other things -- but not your Float woes! Bushings have held up for ~2 years, and no leaks (knock
> on shaft -- errr, rubber o-ring -- errr, :)

What was wrong with the frame?

Per

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > *I've had my share of problems with bike -- two frame warranty claims
> among
> > other things -- but not your Float woes! Bushings have held up for ~2 years, and no leaks (knock
> > on shaft -- errr, rubber o-ring -- errr, :)
>
> What was wrong with the frame?
>
> Per

If you can be bothered with it you can replace the seals yourself. The kit costs about $2.50US and
is easy to install. They even have a downloadable service video for it here:
http://www.foxracingshox.com/mountainbike/html/movies.html

Also check to see if the mounting bolts are bent. This will but strain on the shock and cause it
to leak air.

HTH,

Mike

Fox has a chart on their website listing the eye-to-eye distance and stroke for various bikes. Or,
tell the shop or mail-order place what model frame you have and they'll figure it out. I just got a
replacement from Speedgoat and they managed to send me the correct one. They also sell a tool for
replacing the bushings that makes it a lot easier than using copper tubing like I was doing before.

"Per Löwdin" wrote:

> I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
> Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
> Fox Float do or will it have to be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus
> Switchblade.
>
> Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

snip

> If you can be bothered with it you can replace the seals yourself. The
kit
> costs about $2.50US and is easy to install. They even have a downloadable service video for it
> here: http://www.foxracingshox.com/mountainbike/html/movies.html
>
> Also check to see if the mounting bolts are bent. This will but strain on the shock and cause it
> to leak air.
>
> HTH,
>
> Mike

Mike, Where did you get the bushing kit?

DTW

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > *I've had my share of problems with bike -- two frame warranty claims
> among
> > other things -- but not your Float woes! Bushings have held up for ~2 years, and no leaks (knock
> > on shaft -- errr, rubber o-ring -- errr, :)
>
> What was wrong with the frame?

Bike had play in the rear from the beginning. Turned out the upper swingarm (? -- the part with the
seat stays) wasn't up to spec. Replaced it; play gone.

Then I noticed a crack in the LOWER swingarm (? -- the part with the chain stays) right near the
bottom bracket. Replaced with a much beefier version.

Bill "only thing left now is the front/upper section (not really a 'triangle') but warranty's
almost up" S.

"D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> snip
>

> > If you can be bothered with it you can replace the seals yourself. The
> kit
> > costs about $2.50US and is easy to install. They even have a
downloadable
> > service video for it here: http://www.foxracingshox.com/mountainbike/html/movies.html
> >
> > Also check to see if the mounting bolts are bent. This will but strain
on
> > the shock and cause it to leak air.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Mike, Where did you get the bushing kit?
>
> DTW

I ordered them direct from Fox Racing Shocks. Fox Racing Shox Tel: 831-768-1100 Email:
[email protected]

Mike

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet news:[email protected]...

> If you can be bothered with it you can replace the seals yourself. The
kit costs about $2.50US and is easy to install. They even have a downloadable service video for it
here: http://www.foxracingshox.com/mountainbike/html/movies.html

It is rather difficult. You need a huge vise with plates or some other protection so you don´t
scratch the shock. I attempted it and failed. Well, I quit as the shock would not open (in spite of
innertubes), and I was afraid that I would damage it.

> Also check to see if the mounting bolts are bent. This will but strain
on the shock and cause it to leak air.

I will have a look at them, thanks. I am quite happy with my Switchblade except for the rear shock.
Now, I have changed the inserts in the lower eyelets four times and it has got a leak. Titus is
making a new part that replaces the present set up, and should be much more durable. Speedgoat is
sending me some. However, I would prefer to buy the new shock in Europe, shorter shipping time and
less WAT, if it is a standard one. I checked Titus homepage and it seems there is a special valving
for the Racer-X. Does not tell about the Switchblade.

Apparently, the Tracers have the same weakness.

Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

All the fox floats are the same in size, they just have different external knobs for lockout e.t.c,
so just getting a float and banging it will be fine, if you have the long travel switchblade (like
me) you will find that the clearance of the shock to the frame will stop you running some other
shocks (sid wont work) you can't put a talas shock on a pre 2003 Switchblade as it just wont fit, I
do believe that Titus UK have a switchblade with a DT Swiss fitted

The eye to eye length of the Float is 200mm and you cannot put a coil spring on the switchblade (not
designed and would not fit)

Cheers

Chris

http://www.mtbbikes.co.uk

"Chris Garwood" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[email protected]...
> All the fox floats are the same in size,

No, they come in different lengths, my wife rides a Racer X, extra small, and its shock is shorter
and valved for a light rider, etc. though most others seems to be standard.
http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTBruntUppsala/bilder/led2a.JPG

> they just have different external knobs for lockout e.t.c, so just getting a float and banging it
> will be fine, if you have the long travel switchblade (like me)

I will soon, discovered today that it would be cheaper to buy the complete long travel kit including
the shock from Titus than to buy just a shock from the UK distributor. Hope it will not change the
angles too much, have a 100 mm Marathon which is a rather high fork, from axle to crown, so it
should be OK.

I have also coming to me from Speedgoat a new set of spacers and "eyelet" insersts. Hope this will
take care of my problem for good.

Chers Per

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 18:10:15 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
>Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
>Fox Float do or will it have to be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus
>Switchblade.
>
>Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

I don't get it...I just don't get. Why would anyone need a Fox Float when you can ride a hardtail?

:-]

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I don't get it...I just don't get.

It's all the SS ranting, puts the women right off............

Shaun aRe Gets it.

> On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 18:10:15 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
> >Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any
> >standard Fox Float do or will it have to be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus
> >Switchblade.
> >
> >Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

Actually it probably needed to be serviced and now it needs to be repaired. You should take it apart
at least once a season to clean and lube the large o-ring on the cylinder. Now that o-ring probably
needs to be replaed, if so it's a 10 minute job.
--