Fox Float question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Per LöWdin, Apr 5, 2003.

  1. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
    Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
    Fox Float do or will it have to be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus Switchblade.

    Per

    Tags:

  2. Tauras

    Tauras Guest

    Go with a coil back up like a Fox vanilla-r, last longer, inexpensive and little to NO maintenance.
    Coils way more plush at least to my type of riding, hard rocks, sand trails. Just make sure its the
    same lenght and travel, check with Titus Have fun!

    Tauras http://www.kcbx.net/~tsulaiti/surfreport/

    "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will obviously have to be serviced.
    > Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be able to bike. Now, my question, will any standard
    > Fox Float do or will it have
    > be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus Switchblade.
    >
    > Per

  3. Tauras

    Tauras Guest

    Opps make sure you get the right spring weight for your size too, have fun!

    "Tauras" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Go with a coil back up like a Fox vanilla-r, last longer, inexpensive and little to NO
    > maintenance. Coils way more plush at least to my type of riding, hard rocks, sand trails. Just
    > make sure its the same lenght and travel, check with Titus Have fun!
    >

    > Tauras http://www.kcbx.net/~tsulaiti/surfreport/
    >
    > "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a Fox Float RL on my bike, and it is leaking air. It will
    obviously
    > > have to be serviced. Meanwhile I will have to buy another shock to be
    able
    > > to bike. Now, my question, will any standard Fox Float do or will it
    have
    > > be a particular one adapted somehow to my bike, a Titus Switchblade.
    > >
    > > Per

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

  4. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    "Tauras" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet news:[email protected]...
    > Go with a coil back up like a Fox vanilla-r, last longer, inexpensive and little to NO
    > maintenance. Coils way more plush at least to my type of riding, hard rocks, sand trails. Just
    > make sure its the same lenght and travel, check with Titus Have fun!

    Thanks Tauras,

    I am realising that coil shocks have their advantages. However, the Titus info explicitly says that
    coil shocks can´t be used on the Titus.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

  5. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > Replacing the air seal on a Float is a job the owner can do. You just need a vise.

    Well, you need a darn good vise, with special plates or other protection so you do not scratch the
    shock. I got a vise with the intention of lubing the shock according to the manual and I could not
    get it open, even using an inner tube, without risking to hurt the shock.

    > Fox has a how-to video here:
    >
    > http://www.foxracingshox.com/mountainbike/html/movies.html

    Just wish it was as easy as it looks on that movie.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

  6. Tauras

    Tauras Guest

    If its still under warentee don't touch it rather send it in for service. If its older than a year
    you might be on your own. Its also odd that the frame will not take a coil, here again check with
    Titus (as I understand this is a good compamy with customer service to match) and good luck.

  7. In article <[email protected]>, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Replacing the air seal on a Float is a job the owner can do. You just need a vise.
    >
    >Well, you need a darn good vise, with special plates or other protection so you do not scratch the
    >shock. I got a vise with the intention of lubing the shock according to the manual and I could not
    >get it open, even using an inner tube, without risking to hurt the shock.
    >>
    >> Fox has a how-to video here:
    >>
    >> http://www.foxracingshox.com/mountainbike/html/movies.html
    >
    >Just wish it was as easy as it looks on that movie.

    It is almost as easy as in the movie. I use a big cresent wrench on the end cap and a rubber glove
    to get a grip on the cylinder (mine is threaded for a Jekyll and those threads are sharp). You could
    probably leave the front eyelet attached to the bike until you get the threads loose if you don't
    have a vise or big wrench. I think Fox recommends replacing the seals every season. The seal kit is
    about $7.50.

  8. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > It is almost as easy as in the movie. I use a big cresent wrench on the end cap and a rubber glove
    > to get a grip
    on
    > the cylinder (mine is threaded for a Jekyll and those threads are sharp). You could probably leave
    > the front eyelet attached to the bike until you
    get
    > the threads loose if you don't have a vise or big wrench. I think Fox recommends replacing the
    > seals every season. The seal kit is about $7.50.

    Thanks for useful info.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html