Fox Vanilla Forx leaking at preload knob

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Michael, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hi

    I have a three-week-old Fox Vanilla RC. Now it stopped working properly.

    I turned the bike upside down for some minutes yesterday. After that I
    smelled some fork-oil but couldn't see it.
    When I was riding today I realized that there is a soaking noise (sounds
    like air) at every compression and decompression (not the oil noise out of
    the damper!). It turned out that now the blue preload knob was oily and the
    noise seems to come out between the blue knob and the silver cap (left side
    in riding direction). Indeed I think the fork feels some kind of over-damped
    now because of this airflow. The airflow lasts significantly longer than the
    actual compression or decompression.
    Turning the bike over shouldn't be the reason as FOX recommends it to lube
    the foam rings. I did no hard riding.

    I just wanted to see if this is another feature of FOX forks or if it is a
    real bug before I go to the bikeshop.

    Thanks for opinions,

    Michael

    Tags:

  2. > I just wanted to see if this is another feature of FOX forks or if it
    > is a real bug before I go to the bikeshop.

    Shouldn't be. Take it in.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. Michael wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have a three-week-old Fox Vanilla RC. Now it stopped working properly.
    >
    > I turned the bike upside down for some minutes yesterday. After that I
    > smelled some fork-oil but couldn't see it.
    > When I was riding today I realized that there is a soaking noise (sounds
    > like air) at every compression and decompression (not the oil noise out of
    > the damper!). It turned out that now the blue preload knob was oily and the
    > noise seems to come out between the blue knob and the silver cap (left side
    > in riding direction). Indeed I think the fork feels some kind of over-damped
    > now because of this airflow. The airflow lasts significantly longer than the
    > actual compression or decompression.
    > Turning the bike over shouldn't be the reason as FOX recommends it to lube
    > the foam rings. I did no hard riding.
    >
    > I just wanted to see if this is another feature of FOX forks or if it is a
    > real bug before I go to the bikeshop.
    >
    > Thanks for opinions,
    >
    > Michael

    My wife and I both received new Fox shocks this yera with frames, and
    both had problems out of the box :()
    Fox did take care of it though.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
    remove "mydebt" to reply

  4. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    >> I just wanted to see if this is another feature of FOX forks or if it
    >> is a real bug before I go to the bikeshop.

    > Shouldn't be. Take it in.

    Salesman agreed with me. It's sent to Fox now.

    Michael

  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Craig Brossman wrote:

    > My wife and I both received new Fox shocks this yera with frames, and
    > both had problems out of the box :()
    > Fox did take care of it though.

    Ok, sent it in.
    This is my second Fox fork. First one (a 2002 Float) has been sent to Fox 3
    times in a row... (leaking seals, bushings, chatter-noise).
    I think the Vanilla is now my last one...

    Michael