Foxtel Digital AND Eurosport (TDF) Coverage

waffle

New Member
Oct 9, 2003
OK, lets get serious about cycling TV coverage. does anyone know whether Eurosport, and therefore live coverage of the TDF, etc, will be introduced by Foxtel with the move to digital.

Originally posted by waffle
OK, lets get serious about cycling TV coverage. does anyone know whether Eurosport, and therefore live coverage of the TDF, etc, will be introduced by Foxtel with the move to digital.

I haven't the faintest idea what coverage we're going to get, as a British Eurosport Viewer, we already have digital. We get the short end of the straw at weekends with coverage as other sports like motorcycling get the bulk of airtime because of the revenue they bring in. (They even show hours of practices as well as races) This was highlighted at Paris-Roubaix last year, International had 5 hours coverage, and all BE had was from part of the Arenberg Forest to Roubaix. We saw the last 2k of the Tour of Flanders. Then we get days missing completely, the Tour of Switzerland BE broadcast none of the Saturday mountain stage. The Vuelta on the last Saturday the Mountain Time trial, we got nothing. This was made even worse because it coincided with the Cycle Show in London and Eurosport have a stand there and we were promised live coverage in the programme. They showed gymastics, you know the ones with floating ribbons. Then the last one was the World Championship road race, in the middle we had the Womens world cup final and it went into extra time.

Many regret getting rid of the analogue systems which receive Eurosport International. I didn't have one, as I had On-Digital then ITV Digital and now have Sky which gives us BE, but from the start of this European cycling season I now have an analogue system courtesy of my niece and partner.

The other thing that digital Eurosport has is a 24hour news channel, and I've yet to find anyone who sits and watches it. It would be much better broadcasting Eurosport International on it. I pay enough subscription to Sky now but I'd be willing to pay more just to get decent coverage of cycling.

On 26/1/04 12:36 AM, in article [email protected],
"waffle" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OK, lets get serious about cycling TV coverage. does anyone know whether Eurosport, and therefore
> live coverage of the TDF, etc, will be introduced by Foxtel with the move to digital.
>

> --

There's no confirmation or even strong rumours yet of what we'll be getting in Australia. Some 100+
channels have been identified as 'potentials' in a few places, and Eurosport is one of them, but
nothing concrete until it gets closer to the time when Foxtel will start to roll everything out.