FR2 - Fixed Ride 2 - Anzac Day

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by PiledHigher, Apr 17, 2005.

  1. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    As per the previous FR1

    FR suggestion:

    Start: At the cafe on the corner of Gordon St & Glenhuntly Rds (where glenhuntley crosses the railway line)

    Down rusden street and around to the right (past daily planet)
    Cross Dandy road
    Left at new street (longish bit down here to brighton beach)
    Left at beach rd (old skool crossing gates across railway line) longish bit on beach road)

    Along beach road the bunch split (basically by gear inches) those trailing off turn left at Charman rd (beaumaris - top of the hill where beach rd has the bike lane) and then left at Balcome Rd to the clock tower for a re-group.

    Left at warrigal rd
    left at como pde (before railwayline)
    Left at balcome road
    To Clock tower at black rock (re-group here) and right onto beach rd
    Right back onto St kilda street (at the right from left bit)
    Right onto glenhuntly

    Coffee in Glenhuntly (and best muffins ever - i know, huge claim but not made by me, I think the cafe may be called Grumblebug's.)

    For more info Look for the FR1 & RR:FR1 threads.

    PiledHigher.

    Tags:

  2. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    Could possibly accomodate some SS's?

    Would be great if someone with more skillz could draw a map.

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    count me in(ish)

    gimme a bit. i can do that ,easy-peasey!

    hah. was a guy on a red Dolan riding 100" of fun in Cgrade yesterday

  4. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    As to a time, 0720 as per FR1

  5. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    PiledHigher wrote:
    > As per the previous FR1
    >

    > FR suggestion:
    >
    > Start: At the cafe on the corner of Gordon St & Glenhuntly Rds (where
    > glenhuntley crosses the railway line)
    >
    > Down rusden street and around to the right (past daily planet)
    > Cross Dandy road
    > Left at new street (longish bit down here to brighton beach)
    > Left at beach rd (old skool crossing gates across railway line) longish
    > bit on beach road)
    >
    > Along beach road the bunch split (basically by gear inches) those
    > trailing off turn left at Charman rd (beaumaris - top of the hill where
    > beach rd has the bike lane) and then left at Balcome Rd to the clock
    > tower for a re-group.
    >
    > Left at warrigal rd
    > left at como pde (before railwayline)
    > Left at balcome road
    > To Clock tower at black rock (re-group here) and right onto beach rd
    > Right back onto St kilda street (at the right from left bit)
    > Right onto glenhuntly
    >
    > Coffee in Glenhuntly (and best muffins ever - i know, huge claim but
    > not made by me, I think the cafe may be called Grumblebug's.)
    >
    > For more info Look for the FR1 & RR:FR1 threads.
    >
    > PiledHigher.

    I'm in.

    I just changed the 42:18 to 44:16 - bit hard on the legs at the moment
    but I should be able to keep up with you guys a bit better.

    --
    Nick

  6. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    That's a big jump! You had a few easier steps given that combination of cogs & rings, you went from the smallest to the biggest (and the 2nd biggest gear of the last FR):

    42x18 = 63
    44x18 = 66
    42x16 = 71
    44x16 = 74

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    :eek:

    that does it!

    Im changin the 48x18 (72") to the 48x17 (76")!!!!

    or if your reeeaaallyyy bad (or Im mad) I'll pull out the 15T and really put on a demo of how to slow pedal.

    compulsory flogging of tri-ers on silly(er) bikes shall be applied :D:D:D

    did the mascot ride on Sat'dy and one of the guys turned up on his fixie on 90inches and did just fine thankyou very much!

  8. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    PiledHigher wrote:
    > NoZX6R Wrote:
    >

    >>I'm in.
    >>
    >>I just changed the 42:18 to 44:16 - bit hard on the legs at the moment
    >>but I should be able to keep up with you guys a bit better.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Nick

    > That's a big jump! You had a few easier steps given that combination of
    > cogs & rings, you went from the smallest to the biggest (and the 2nd
    > biggest gear of the last FR):
    >
    > 42x18 = 63
    > 44x18 = 66
    > 42x16 = 71
    > 44x16 = 74

    oh shit :)

    maybe I'll put the 42T on then.

    So...is that why my legs feel so empty?? :)

    --
    Nick

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Nerd alert. woooop, wooooop!!!

    http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf

    comments, distances, ?

  10. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003

    Distance 35.5k for the loop described
    Ascent 145m nothing too stressful
    Fixed I assume that the average will be 28/29kph
    Fixed gear from 65 to 75, was the range last time, with 69 being the perfect gear.

    Watch out for triathletes on beach road when riding funny bikes.

    While we are at it, any more takers?

    Looks like three at the moment, Nick, Dutchy & Me

  11. Koon Yong

    Koon Yong New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2003
    Yeah, I should be there. Been riding 74inch gear the last few weeks but nothing like 35km. Should be interesting ...

    Koon

  12. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    You & nick are not afraid of big gear changes are you?

    Come on other SS & Fixie riders, put up your hand!

  13. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > PiledHigher Wrote:
    >> Could possibly accomodate some SS's?
    >>
    >> Would be great if someone with more skillz could draw a map.

    > Nerd alert. woooop, wooooop!!!
    >
    > http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf
    >
    > comments, distances, ?
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

    That's some mad 1337 mapping sk1llz. Nice one :) I'll think about timing,
    but will make it there if I can get to work on time afterwards :)

  14. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    PiledHigher wrote:
    > Koon Yong Wrote:
    >
    >>Yeah, I should be there. Been riding 74inch gear the last few weeks but
    >>nothing like 35km. Should be interesting ...
    >>
    >>Koon

    > You & nick are not afraid of big gear changes are you?
    >
    > Come on other SS & Fixie riders, put up your hand!

    yeah I am :)

    --
    Nick

  15. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:p[email protected]

    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    >> Nerd alert. woooop, wooooop!!!
    >>
    >> http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf
    >>
    >> comments, distances, ?

    > Distance 35.5k for the loop described
    > Ascent 145m nothing too stressful
    > Fixed I assume that the average will be 28/29kph
    > Fixed gear from 65 to 75, was the range last time, with 69 being the
    > perfect gear.
    >
    > Watch out for triathletes on beach road when riding funny bikes.
    >
    > While we are at it, any more takers?
    >
    > Looks like three at the moment, Nick, Dutchy & Me
    >

    > --
    > PiledHigher

    So starting at 7:20, probably finish about 9ish. Is there anywhere near the
    starting point where I can ditch a backpack for the duration of the ride
    itself?

  16. Marty

    Marty Guest

    PiledHigher wrote:
    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    >
    >>Nerd alert. woooop, wooooop!!!
    >>
    >>http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf
    >>
    >>comments, distances, ?

    > Distance 35.5k for the loop described
    > Ascent 145m nothing too stressful
    > Fixed I assume that the average will be 28/29kph
    > Fixed gear from 65 to 75, was the range last time, with 69 being the
    > perfect gear.
    >
    > Watch out for triathletes on beach road when riding funny bikes.
    >
    > While we are at it, any more takers?
    >
    > Looks like three at the moment, Nick, Dutchy & Me

    There's some funny laws about doing things on ANZAC day, but as social
    riders you'll probably be ok.

    Marty

  17. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    Could ask the cafe if it is open, otherwise make dutchy carry it to stop him charging up the hills!

  18. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:p[email protected]

    > Resound Wrote:
    >> "PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> in
    >> message news:p[email protected]

    >> > Distance 35.5k for the loop described
    >> > Ascent 145m nothing too stressful
    >> > Fixed I assume that the average will be 28/29kph
    >> > Fixed gear from 65 to 75, was the range last time, with 69 being the
    >> > perfect gear.
    >> >
    >> > Watch out for triathletes on beach road when riding funny bikes.
    >> >
    >> > While we are at it, any more takers?
    >> >
    >> > Looks like three at the moment, Nick, Dutchy & Me
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > PiledHigher
    >> >

    >> So starting at 7:20, probably finish about 9ish. Is there anywhere near
    >> the
    >> starting point where I can ditch a backpack for the duration of the
    >> ride
    >> itself?

    > Could ask the cafe if it is open, otherwise make dutchy carry it to
    > stop him charging up the hills!
    >

    > --
    > PiledHigher

    Works for me. I start work in Kew at 11am, so I need somewhere to stash the
    work clothes is all. Riding any significant distance with a backpack on is
    something I avoid if I can and I don't have/want a rack on the fixie. Hell I
    don't want one on the road bike either, but it's my main form of transport.

  19. phamcam

    phamcam New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    Hi,

    I regularly ride a fixed to work & would be interested in this ride if you are after more takers.

    See you at 7:20.

    humpy

    While we are at it, any more takers?

    Looks like three at the moment, Nick, Dutchy & Me[/QUOTE]

  20. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    Marty wrote:
    > PiledHigher wrote:
    >
    >> flyingdutch Wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nerd alert. woooop, wooooop!!!
    >>>
    >>> http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf
    >>>
    >>> comments, distances, ?

    >> Distance 35.5k for the loop described
    >> Ascent 145m nothing too stressful
    >> Fixed I assume that the average will be 28/29kph
    >> Fixed gear from 65 to 75, was the range last time, with 69 being the
    >> perfect gear.
    >>
    >> Watch out for triathletes on beach road when riding funny bikes.
    >>
    >> While we are at it, any more takers?
    >>
    >> Looks like three at the moment, Nick, Dutchy & Me
    >>

    > There's some funny laws about doing things on ANZAC day, but as social
    > riders you'll probably be ok.
    >
    > Marty

    Apparently, there's no riding silly bikes on public holidays in Victoria.

    Not sure if it's a govt thing or just a TriVic rule ;)

    --
    Nick