Fractured neck of Femur

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by rick allison, Jun 13, 2006.

1. rick allison

rick allison New Member

Hi out there.
    Recently fractured my right neck of femur on a race here in England wondered if anyone has sustained the same injury and if so how long did it take to get back on the bike.I have 3 A.O screws in the joint and have been told to be non weight bearing for 12 weeks.
    Any help would be most appreciated
    Rick
    Taunton
    U.K:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Tags:

2. li rider

li rider New Member

Fractured the left femur neck in sept. 2004. have 2 compression screws, one of which has the plate with it which is screwed in with 2 more. (also separated AC joint and lots of road rash)

they had me weight bearing the next day, saying it promoted the healing. started PT 6 weeks later for 6 weeks, then back in the gym, doing the same regimen on my own. went back to spinning in February, out on the bike when the weather was warm in April. Road about 4-5 days a week by June and did a Century (6 hours 53 minutes, including 8300 feet of climb) almost 1 year to the day later.

best advise for now is to get off the pain killers as fast as you can. when you start PT, always do more than you are told. the muscles will come back first, flexibility and balance take longer.

and if you want more, check out erik dekker who rides for RabboBank. he was back in the TDF a year after the same injury and last year won the dotted jersey for the king of the mountain on 2 stages, and won the Paris-Tours race in a 100 kilometer breakaway.

Good luck!

3. mgkaplan

mgkaplan New Member

I fractured my upper right femur 19 years ago. I was in the hospital for 10 days, at home for 2 months, and back on the bike 4 months after the accident. I had a plate and screws. I kept it non weight bearing for quite some time. The only physical therapy that my doctor ordered was that I get back on the trainer when I was physically able. I never thought that I would recover fully, but once I healed, I was better than ever.

Keep your spirits up. Follow doctor's orders. [​IMG]

4. Donna Scott

Donna Scott New Member

Hi Rick,

On 2/22/06 I broke my left neck of my femur. I tapped the bike in front of me and was thrown. I spent one week in the hospital, have a 5 1/2" titanium plate and seven screws. I had Physical Therapy (pt) at home for 6 weeks and used a walker only bearing 25% of my weight on that leg. Then I had hydro PT for 6 more weeks (with a cane) and gym therapy for 2 months. After 4 months I was back on my bike riding 60 miles a week. Then one day I couldn't unclip my shoes and fell over and broke my elbow... Now I have to wait another 4 weeks to ride. I'm determined to get out there again and can't wait. The worst thing about my femur break is that my leg is now 2 centimeters shorter. Hope you heal fast.

Donna
    California

5. li rider

li rider New Member

Fascinating how different doctors order different therapies. Mine wanted me to be weight bearing immediately saying that it sped up the process of the bone fusing back together.

Donna, bad luck now with your elbow. The height lose is an issue. I used to say I was 6 feet, now I call myself 5 feet 11. Youmay want to hae a lift in 1 shoe to balance your walk, but don;t go that way for at least 1 year until you see if your gait is straight or limping. The imbalance is more noticable in my shoulder and gives my tailor work to do.