Fractured Pelvis

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by KellyT, Dec 23, 2006.

1. KellyT

KellyT New Member

My partner suffered a fractured pelvis two weeks ago and is only really now able to move around much (but only with crutches). Seems to have been quite bad, as fractured pelvises go.

Since the NHS's aftercare service is laughable, in fact more properly stated, deeply unhelpful and bordering on offensive, I will have to ask here.

Typically what would the expected recovery period be for this injury. Firstly the recovery to being able to walk around unaided and secondly the recovery time to starting to cycle (perhaps on the trainer).

Thanks.

Tags:

2. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

The length of recovery will depend on the severity of the fracture, but is typically 6 to 12 weeks.

Has he been hooked up with a physiotherapist yet? Good rehab will be vital to his recovery.

Is going private a viable option?

3. KellyT

KellyT New Member

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately the hospital didn't say how bad the fracture was, or whether it's open or closed, or in fact anything much. In fact it was only after two days that the hospital came up with a Doctor that apparently knew what a fracture on an x-ray looked like. Prior to that the solution was to assume intense malingering.

The physio is arranged, for about 10 days time (which will be around a month from the injury). I am not sure that it might be a bit soon, as the shuffling victim is keen to zip about on crutches, but it's obviously very sore and I suspect is a decidedly bad idea.

We both have private cover that covers for family, but other than the physio, I'm not too sure what they might be able to do. I guess (unlike the NHS) they might focus on the paying party, instead of taking drug addicts and people who decided to pick fights first, a la the 7 hour hell in A & E. I am sure that the word 'emergency' takes on some different meaning when you join the NHS