Fractured Tibia when might i turbo? any experience?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by AirborneZep, May 8, 2006.

1. AirborneZep

AirborneZep New Member

Any experience /comments welcome..

I was knocked off by a car a week ago. fractured tib and fib. tibia has been "nailed" so i have no cast and knee/ankle can be moved - although painful and stiff due to trauma. Surgeon tells me it looks OK and as i am fit that should help me repair. I have been told no weight bearing for 6 weeks.

I am not a racer but a keen recreational cyclist and have tried to ride through the winter this year so was expecting (for me) a good summer.... This now looks to be slipping away from me.

Clearly i will be guided by my surgeon but as cycling uses relatively low forces? compared to "weight bearing" ie: walking, i thought i could get on my turbo after a few weeks and just spin. Could this help slow the lowering of my fitness.

Thanks for any input..

Tags:

2. sv650s

sv650s New Member

Mine was from a Motorbike Accident but mine was a Plateu Brake of the Tibia. I was no weight bearing for about 16weeks :mad: but let it go.

I was able to full weight at 22 weeks, and started to try and ride the trainer from then but had real trouble getting on and off. So take it from me, listen to your surgeon and physio (if you go to one) about when you can get working. Take it slow and try as hard as you can to go as slow as you can.

It takes time but you will get there.

3. AirborneZep

AirborneZep New Member

Thanks

I guess it will take as long as it takes..:( and i will be guided by the professionals. I also ride a motorbike so its a double blow for the summer.