frame advice

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steve Watkin, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Please can you help by suggesting some frames that might do the job for me? I am looking for a
    replacement for my alumn. compact on my Bronx Kudos. I have been upgrading this over the last year
    into a touring machine and the last thing to be done is the frame. The features that I am looking
    for are as follows;
    1/ Steel
    2/ V brake compatable
    3/ 700c wheels 35 or 37 wide tyres and mudguards
    4/ braze on for 2 or 3 bottles and rear rack, front rack braze on would be a bonus!
    5/ longish chainstays to prevent heel clash on panniers
    6/ Non suspension, compliant front forks.
    7/ 135mm dropout spacing
    8/ Not too expensive 250-350 GBP I've been looking at the Surly Cross-check which sells at 300GBP
    but the chain stays seem a little short. Any ideas please.

    Tags:

  2. "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Please can you help by suggesting some frames that might do the job for
    me?
    > I am looking for a replacement for my alumn. compact on my Bronx Kudos. I have been upgrading this
    > over the last year into a touring machine and the last thing to be done is the frame. The features
    > that I am looking for are as follows;
    > 1/ Steel
    > 2/ V brake compatable
    > 3/ 700c wheels 35 or 37 wide tyres and mudguards
    > 4/ braze on for 2 or 3 bottles and rear rack, front rack braze on would be
    > bonus!
    > 5/ longish chainstays to prevent heel clash on panniers
    > 6/ Non suspension, compliant front forks.
    > 7/ 135mm dropout spacing
    > 8/ Not too expensive 250-350 GBP I've been looking at the Surly Cross-check which sells at 300GBP
    > but the chain stays seem a little short. Any ideas please.

    Buy a good second hand Dawes Galaxy.

    Ken.

  3. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:46:04 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Watkin"
    <[email protected]>:

    >Please can you help by suggesting some frames that might do the job for me?

    Almost any modern touring bike frame will fit the bill. I wonder if the Galaxy is available as
    frameset only?

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  4. Rev Will

    Rev Will Guest

    Steve Watkin wrote:
    > Please can you help by suggesting some frames that might do the job for me? I am looking for a
    > replacement for my alumn. compact on my Bronx Kudos. I have been upgrading this over the last year
    > into a touring machine and the last thing to be done is the frame. The features that I am looking
    > for are as follows;
    > 1/ Steel
    > 2/ V brake compatable
    > 3/ 700c wheels 35 or 37 wide tyres and mudguards
    > 4/ braze on for 2 or 3 bottles and rear rack, front rack braze on would be a bonus!
    > 5/ longish chainstays to prevent heel clash on panniers
    > 6/ Non suspension, compliant front forks.
    > 7/ 135mm dropout spacing
    > 8/ Not too expensive 250-350 GBP I've been looking at the Surly Cross-check which sells at 300GBP
    > but the chain stays seem a little short. Any ideas please.

    For something a bit unusual, you could try the Il Pompino. It is single speed though, so it may not
    be what you are after.

    I'll wait for anyone with basic Italian skills to translate the name. ;-)

    Will

  5. Rev Will

    Rev Will Guest

    Rev Will wrote:

    > Steve Watkin wrote:
    >
    >> Please can you help by suggesting some frames that might do the job for me? I am looking for a
    >> replacement for my alumn. compact on my Bronx Kudos. I have been upgrading this over the last
    >> year into a touring machine and the last thing to be done is the frame. The features that I am
    >> looking for are as follows;
    >> 1/ Steel
    >> 2/ V brake compatable
    >> 3/ 700c wheels 35 or 37 wide tyres and mudguards
    >> 4/ braze on for 2 or 3 bottles and rear rack, front rack braze on would be a bonus!
    >> 5/ longish chainstays to prevent heel clash on panniers
    >> 6/ Non suspension, compliant front forks.
    >> 7/ 135mm dropout spacing
    >> 8/ Not too expensive 250-350 GBP I've been looking at the Surly Cross-check which sells at 300GBP
    >> but the chain stays seem a little short. Any ideas please.
    >>

    > For something a bit unusual, you could try the Il Pompino. It is single speed though, so it may
    > not be what you are after.
    >
    > I'll wait for anyone with basic Italian skills to translate the name. ;-)
    >
    > Will

    Doh, forgot to add the link... http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/ilpompino.shtml

    Will

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Rev Will wrote:
    > For something a bit unusual, you could try the Il Pompino. It is single speed though, so it may
    > not be what you are after.
    >
    > I'll wait for anyone with basic Italian skills to translate the name. ;-)

    Ideal for the blowy weather we've been having lately.

    ~PB

  7. "A" <[email protected]> wrote in message snip

    > For V-brakes though you may have to fiddle a bit and use "Secret Agent" cable pull doublers. I've
    > iused them for 5 years; okay if you watch for fraying, but it means no adjustment except by cable
    > pinch bolt. Cheers, A

    Only a problem with drops. Use Diacompe 287V brake levers and bar end shifters.

    Ken.