frame/bearing adjustment

Ray Yeh

Guest
I am trying to run an XT hub as a single speed in an old steel frame. The problem is the frame is
130mm and the hub 135mm. I keep loosening the cones to get play so that when I tighten the quick
release the wheeel spins freely. It still seems to bind a bit. Can I loosen the bearings too much? I
guess I really should get the frame spread and the dropouts aligned but am hoping to save $ as it is
going to be my beater bike. ANy suggestions? Ray

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Ray
Yeh) writes:

>I am trying to run an XT hub as a single speed in an old steel frame. The problem is the frame is
>130mm and the hub 135mm. I keep loosening the cones to get play so that when I tighten the quick
>release the wheeel spins freely. It still seems to bind a bit. Can I loosen the bearings too much?
>I guess I really should get the frame spread and the dropouts aligned but am hoping to save $ as it
>is going to be my beater bike. ANy suggestions?

Spend the $$$.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

"TBGibb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Ray
> Yeh) writes:
>
> >I am trying to run an XT hub as a single speed in an old steel frame. The problem is the frame is
> >130mm and the hub 135mm. I keep loosening the cones to get play so that when I tighten the quick
> >release the wheeel spins freely. It still seems to bind a bit. Can I loosen the bearings too
> >much? I guess I really should get the frame spread and the dropouts aligned but am hoping to save
> >$ as it is going to be my beater bike. ANy suggestions?
>
> Spend the $$$.

I don't know why 5 mm would make the hub bind. It's trivial to bend a frame out that much, and
alignment isn't an issue. Check Sheldon Brown's site for a DIY on frame bending.