frame/bearing adjustment

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ray Yeh, Mar 14, 2003.

  1. Ray Yeh

    Ray Yeh Guest

    I am trying to run an XT hub as a single speed in an old steel frame. The problem is the frame is
    130mm and the hub 135mm. I keep loosening the cones to get play so that when I tighten the quick
    release the wheeel spins freely. It still seems to bind a bit. Can I loosen the bearings too much? I
    guess I really should get the frame spread and the dropouts aligned but am hoping to save $ as it is
    going to be my beater bike. ANy suggestions? Ray

    Tags:

  2. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Ray
    Yeh) writes:

    >I am trying to run an XT hub as a single speed in an old steel frame. The problem is the frame is
    >130mm and the hub 135mm. I keep loosening the cones to get play so that when I tighten the quick
    >release the wheeel spins freely. It still seems to bind a bit. Can I loosen the bearings too much?
    >I guess I really should get the frame spread and the dropouts aligned but am hoping to save $ as it
    >is going to be my beater bike. ANy suggestions?

    Spend the $$$.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  3. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "TBGibb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Ray
    > Yeh) writes:
    >
    > >I am trying to run an XT hub as a single speed in an old steel frame. The problem is the frame is
    > >130mm and the hub 135mm. I keep loosening the cones to get play so that when I tighten the quick
    > >release the wheeel spins freely. It still seems to bind a bit. Can I loosen the bearings too
    > >much? I guess I really should get the frame spread and the dropouts aligned but am hoping to save
    > >$ as it is going to be my beater bike. ANy suggestions?
    >
    > Spend the $$$.

    I don't know why 5 mm would make the hub bind. It's trivial to bend a frame out that much, and
    alignment isn't an issue. Check Sheldon Brown's site for a DIY on frame bending.