Bike buying advice · Public discussion

Frame & bits sizing for new rider

Started by jsmorris · · Last activity · 2 posts · 2,750 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
25 July 2009
Last activity
25 July 2009
Original author
jsmorris
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,750
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Folks, hello from Indiana. Short-time rider, first-time poster. I currently ride a 1999 Schwinn Frontier MTB that I purchased new. It's cheap, heavy, and difficult to get down the roadway. I'm interested in buying a road bike that I can take some distance and get into more serious riding, not racing or competitive just yet, but more on the 50mi a weekend type rides across Indiana.

    First question: How do I determine what dimensions I need for frame, crankset, etc? I've seen a few posts that mention a calculator but I haven't found it.

  2. jsmorris said:

    Folks, hello from Indiana. Short-time rider, first-time poster. I currently ride a 1999 Schwinn Frontier MTB that I purchased new. It's cheap, heavy, and difficult to get down the roadway. I'm interested in buying a road bike that I can take some distance and get into more serious riding, not racing or competitive just yet, but more on the 50mi a weekend type rides across Indiana.

    First question: How do I determine what dimensions I need for frame, crankset, etc? I've seen a few posts that mention a calculator but I haven't found it.

    Many on-line retailers have the calculators you are looking for ... e.g., COLORADO CYCLIST, etc.
    [INDENT]Links to bike fitting calculators, technology, and bike fitting systems. The FitStik.

    Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

    Competitive Cyclist Fit Calculator - How to Measure | Cycling at YourCycling.com

    The Colorado Cyclist :: Bicycle Parts and Accessories

    [/INDENT]Input the data into several to see if there is a difference ... these fit calculators should only be looked upon as a starting point & the frame size you ultimately end up with may be different.

    As far as your Schwinn, different tires & tubes (i.e., "city slicks"😉 may make a signficant difference.

    Be certain that all of the 'moving parts' move freely ... fresh grease for the bearings can do wonders.

    The proper crank length for a given rider is open to debate, and formulas exist based on seemingly random biases which do not appear to take into account all dimensions AND RIDING STYLE of a given person for whom the crank is intended.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.