Frame,Componets or Combination????

Metalleg

Aug 25, 2003
If you were building a bike from scratch, how would you do it???

I look at it like this, if you spend the money on a good frame, you can upgrade your componets as you go.
But if you spend all your money on top shelf components and skimp on the frame, it seems you would be going backwards to upgrade frames.

Let say you choose a really good frame and then go with a combination of Dura-ace and ultegra componets, maybe some mavic wheels.
You can always upgrade your Ultegra to Dura-ace if you choose later when your budget can handle it.

Am I wrong in this line of thinking????

How about the following.....

If your budget was $1,500.00(US) for a new road bike how would you build it and with what????
Or go to the LBS and choose a bike in that price range????

By The Way.....
This is strictly for educational/discussion purpose's

I would not feel like I know enough about the latest stuff
out there to build my own bike at this time. I have been away
from biking for too long.
I already have a bike picked out at the LBS.

I agree - go for a top frame. The frame (and the wheels) makes the bike. The components are (basically) equal - all of them are doing the job.

Originally posted by Metalleg
If you were building a bike from scratch, how would you do it???

I look at it like this, if you spend the money on a good frame, you can upgrade your componets as you go.
But if you spend all your money on top shelf components and skimp on the frame, it seems you would be going backwards to upgrade frames.

Let say you choose a really good frame and then go with a combination of Dura-ace and ultegra componets, maybe some mavic wheels.
You can always upgrade your Ultegra to Dura-ace if you choose later when your budget can handle it.

Am I wrong in this line of thinking????

How about the following.....

If your budget was $1,500.00(US) for a new road bike how would you build it and with what????
Or go to the LBS and choose a bike in that price range????

By The Way.....
This is strictly for educational/discussion purpose's

I would not feel like I know enough about the latest stuff
out there to build my own bike at this time. I have been away
from biking for too long.
I already have a bike picked out at the LBS.

You get your best value by buying a complete bicycle.
Your LBS should help you through the fitting issues.

Originally posted by daveornee
You get your best value by buying a complete bicycle.
Your LBS should help you through the fitting issues.

This is probably true if you buy a brand new frame from the manufacturer or an LBS. However I bought a frame with less than 200 miles on it off ebay from a guy that it didn't fit right. Because of the money I saved on the frame I was able to put brand new components on it and I spent several hundred dollars less than an equivalently equipped bike from the LBS. As far as I'm concerned the frame with less than 200 miles on it is as good as a new one. The main reason I built it from a frame wasn't to save money though. I enjoy building things and I wanted to learn from the process. Since I built it myself I really feel like it is MY bike and I think I get more enjoyment out of riding it than I would a bike that I bought already built by someone else. If your only reason for building it is to save money and you don't enjoy the process then I would have to agree that you would probably be better off going to the LBS.

Matt

I agree wholeheartedly that when you build a bike on your own, hand selecting each part as you go, it is more rewarding (and more expensive) than buying an off-the-shelf bike from your LBS.

I am doing this very thing at the present time. Rather than buy a top frame and dressing it with affordable components only to upgrade them later, I am taking a less troublesome approach. I'm buying the frame and subsequently getting the components I ultimately want piece by piece (as funds allow). Meanwhile, to keep me in the saddle, I've purchased a used top level bike to use in the meantime. Since I purchased it used, it will be far easier for me to resell one used bike as opposed to selling numerous parts and pieces that one would upgrade. Also, I'll take less of a financial hit selling that one used bike (that I bought used) than I would by selling numerous parts that I bought new, only to sell them used.

Unless I am missing something, this is probably the best way to go about it.

Originally posted by Ted B
I agree wholeheartedly that when you build a bike on your own, hand selecting each part as you go, it is more rewarding (and more expensive) than buying an off-the-shelf bike from your LBS.

I am doing this very thing at the present time. Rather than buy a top frame and dressing it with affordable components only to upgrade them later, I am taking a less troublesome approach. I'm buying the frame and subsequently getting the components I ultimately want piece by piece (as funds allow). Meanwhile, to keep me in the saddle, I've purchased a used top level bike to use in the meantime. Since I purchased it used, it will be far easier for me to resell one used bike as opposed to selling numerous parts and pieces that one would upgrade. Also, I'll take less of a financial hit selling that one used bike (that I bought used) than I would by selling numerous parts that I bought new, only to sell them used.

Unless I am missing something, this is probably the best way to go about it.

"best way to go about it" is the subject. You need time, skills, and availability of tools to complete this task. Some of the shop type tools would be costly if you don't have access to them for "free". Warranty issues can come into play as well, especially if you are buying anything used or not from a authorized dealer.
Are there benefits from "building it yoursef"?
The learning exeperince may be worth it by itself. However, the material, tool, time cost should be understood before beginning.
You might also be able to more easily attain most desireable fit attributes if you control all aspects of the assembly, including cutting the fork; selcting the crank length; and getting a seat/seatpost combination that work best for you.
Cost and time are the attributes that we all place values on. For some the additional cost and time building it yourself is well worth it. Others would rather spend the time riding and keep the additional money.

Originally posted by daveornee
"best way to go about it" is the subject. You need time, skills, and availability of tools to complete this task. Some of the shop type tools would be costly if you don't have access to them for "free". Warranty issues can come into play as well, especially if you are buying anything used or not from a authorized dealer.
Are there benefits from "building it yoursef"?
The learning exeperince may be worth it by itself. However, the material, tool, time cost should be understood before beginning.
You might also be able to more easily attain most desireable fit attributes if you control all aspects of the assembly, including cutting the fork; selcting the crank length; and getting a seat/seatpost combination that work best for you.
Cost and time are the attributes that we all place values on. For some the additional cost and time building it yourself is well worth it. Others would rather spend the time riding and keep the additional money.

Those are some good points. Although I saved quite a bit of money on mine because of the deal I got on the frame I probably spent the difference on tools (that part slipped my mind or maybe I didn't want to remember). My justification was that I would re-use them since I would be doing my own maintenance. If you don't already have the tools the total cost would be significantly more than the LBS not to mention the time factor as daveornee stated.

Matt