Frame concerns for larger rider

ewenn

Jan 14, 2004
I'm a 6'5" 210lb rider who has ridden the same steel frame for the last 10+ years. I'm now looking to get a new bike for spring. Cost is an issue so I'm trying to stay around the $1500.00 mark.

Many riders I have talked to like their Cannondales very much. But with my size and the way I ride over some rough roads I'm concerned about the new CAAD7 Optimo frame and the way Cdale has lightened it over the previous frames. (the R800 model 63cm) Is it strong enough ?

I'm also looking at the LeMond Alpe D'huez aluminum. Same questions apply ?

Originally posted by ewenn
I'm a 6'5" 210lb rider who has ridden the same steel frame for the last 10+ years. I'm now looking to get a new bike for spring. Cost is an issue so I'm trying to stay around the $1500.00 mark.

Many riders I have talked to like their Cannondales very much. But with my size and the way I ride over some rough roads I'm concerned about the new CAAD7 Optimo frame and the way Cdale has lightened it over the previous frames. (the R800 model 63cm) Is it strong enough ?

Hi ewenn. I'm not an expert on this subject, and there are others around here with more specific information regarding the strength and fatigue-life of modern aluminum frames, and the CAAD7 in particular. Boudreaux can't be far -- he has pretty strong opinions about this frame, and frequently points out the unusually limited warranty Cannondale supplies it with.

Aluminum is a fine material, but there are more and more aluminum road frames on the market that are sold with rider weight limitations, truncated warranties, and other caveats... it's the inevitable intersection of the gram counting trend and the popularity of aluminum as a good performing, economic material.

You might want to steer clear of the CAAD7.

I don't know much about the '04 aluminum Lemonds; the old Reynolds Alpe D'huez was certainly a stalwart machine. There are probably plenty of modern aluminum frames that could suit a +200 lbs rider, and the Lemond might be one of them. You'll need to do a little more research (and find someone here who knows more).

Talk to your local bike shop guys too; see what there thoughts are on some of these lighter weight al bikes. Good luck!

I am 225lbs and have the same concerns. I have been riding steel bikes for a long time and recently went for a custom Ti frame. You can get the wt savings and a great frame within your budget of $1500. You can use the gruppo you have on your steel bike. You know how comfortable the existing parts are. You can save up and upgrade the gruppo to a newer 9 or 10 spd over time.

Look at www.deanbikes.com for a good Ti Frame. That is who is making my new bike frame. I avoided the new materials for a long time but I am now a believer. I still ride my steel bikes equally.

ok, im 6'4" and have weighed between 82 and 95kg (too much time off the bike sometimes) and in my opinion, and it is only my personal opinion, stay away from aluminium frames!. I have broken ever aluminium frame i have ever had, which comes to 5 at the moment, and i have gone back to the wholesome comfort of steel. When i have the money i will definitely move onto titanium. Even if an alumium frame has a long warranty, do you really want your frame cracking on you in a race?, or having to wait to get a new frame?. Aluminium is the flavour of the month but has many shortcomings, for me that was having a frame for 3 months and then having to take it to "cash for cans" after it cracked because it was useless, and the money back on 2kgs of aluminium isnt much i tell you....

Hi Guys. I'm a little surprised about you condemnation of Ali frames. I'm 100Kg in my birthday suit first thing in the morning after answering the both calls of nature! I'm 6'2" and I feel very safe on my bike (an old Peugeot Chrono 4000 frame with Colombus Carve carbon forks. I personally would always steer clear of frames that I can deform by squeezing! Other than that, I woudn't worry. The important thing is to ask the opinion of the shop keeper. If he says it's ok and it breaks on you, irrispective of what it says on the peice of paper, he's duty bound to sort it out.

Originally posted by BarSteward
The important thing is to ask the opinion of the shop keeper. If he says it's ok and it breaks on you, irrispective of what it says on the peice of paper, he's duty bound to sort it out.
Sure.

Several fair size club riders around here are riding old C'dales with high miles on them. CAAD7 should be a strong frame too, but agree it's on the lightweight side for you. They may be using a heavier tubing in the 63 cm size....that would be good.

No condemnation of AL frames here. In fact, I just bought an AL/carbon frame with a 3 yr fatigue warranty. I figure if the frame can hold up under strong racers doing 10-15 K miles/year, it should last me 10+ years at 3K/year of club riding.

Whether we're talking AL or steel, seems the market is pushing everything to the lightweight side now. If given a choice, how many buyers would actually choose the heavier-walled frame that weighs 6 ozs more...even if told it would last twice as long?

Originally posted by dhk

Whether we're talking AL or steel, seems the market is pushing everything to the lightweight side now. If given a choice, how many buyers would actually choose the heavier-walled frame that weighs 6 ozs more...even if told it would last twice as long?
Interesting, that heavy people push the envelope on lightness from everything from frames to stems and bars, and then whine about durability or cry when it breaks. Easy to remembeer basic principal: Stuff breaks,light stuff breaks faster, and defective stuff breaks almost immediately.

Go to this link:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=43975

This topic is currently under discussion on that forum, you may find some usefull info.

Ewenn,

If you're looking for something that will last an additional ten years or more, and you're not racing (which I assume you're not, given your size and weight), you might want to consider getting a bike built for touring, not racing.

Touring frames are built to carry more weight, survive bad roads when heavily loaded etc. I suspect the geometry might also be appealing to someone your size.

Choice of material, in and of itself, won't make a bike frame stronger or weaker--bombproof frames can be built out of any material. But if you want a very lightweight, high performance frame, you'd probably be best served by 3/2.5 titanium. Something like a Litespeed Tuscany or Classic. Under normal loads, the fatigue life would be virtually infinite.

You can get the same groupset and similar bike design in a carbon/steel frame instead of aluminum for about $250 more with the LeMond Buenos Aires. You ought to test-ride it at least for road feel compared to the Alpe d'Huez aluminum frame (since all other components are essentially identical).

I will add that on one of my steel bikes I changed the front fork to a carbon one with an Al steering tube. The change in the feel of the ride was phenomenal, especially on rough riding roads. My hands went to sleep often, especially on the roads surfaced with the pea gravel and oil, and dirt hard pack. The new fork changed the ride characteristics so my hands no longer to go to sleep and the feel of the ride is terrific.
I am now buying a Ti/carbon frame 2 years later, but I am keeping the lugged steel frame with the carbon fork for riding as well.
The "stepped" upgrades would stage you for your next bike. You could upgrade to a new gruppo and later get a frame and move your gruppo over to it. This would allow you to go beyond the $1500 you limit your self to now and have the best of both worlds. Also, if you are married this is "stealth" purchasing that will keep her happy. Honey, its just a new paint job...!

Originally posted by Allen H
You can get the same groupset and similar bike design in a carbon/steel frame instead of aluminum for about $250 more with the LeMond Buenos Aires. You ought to test-ride it at least for road feel compared to the Alpe d'Huez aluminum frame (since all other components are essentially identical).

But one of the issues is that most LBS have plenty of 56 - 58 cm bikes to try but no 63cm bikes. So, in order to get a test ride they need to order one - which comes with certain implied obligations.

Too bad they stopped making the caad 6. Best frame they ever made. Next year they will probably have a carbon frame as nr1 in the programme and cannondale´s era as one of the best alu framebuilders will be over along with Klein and Principia.

This thread as well as others I've seen elsewhere on C'dale's CAAD 7 warranty supplement, gave me pause as I weigh 230 LBS and read it just after dropping 1500 USD on a C'dale R800 with Optimo frame. I ultimately convinced myself not to worry about the warranty issue (or to go into denial depending on your view of C'dale), figuring that the supplement was targeted more at the hardcore 10000 mile/yr racer than an the avid but gentle (despite my weight) 2-3000 mile a year rider such as myself. However. upon reading article in this month's Bicycling Mag on C'dale's testing department, I was reminded of this thread and energized to contact Cannondale directly. For what they're worth, following are my note to C'dale and C'dale's response (which was much more detailed than I would have expected). Bottomline, I come away from the exchange convinced that my R800 purchase was right for me and I have no worries that I will wear out the frame prematurely (CAAD 7 is a great frame that goes up hills like a rocket).

--------------Begin My Note to C'dale --------------------

Greetings

I just read the article about Mark La Plante and Cannondale test lab in the most recent issue of Bicycling magazine. I also recently bought a 2004 R800 (purchased in November). The article on your testing department, along with information on CAAD 7 warranty that I did not come across until after purchasing my bike, have triggered some questions in my mind.

Background

I weigh in at about 230 lbs. and would describe myself as a avid rider but not a racer. During good weather, I am doing 50 to 100 miles a week and will do 2 or 3 centuries each summer. I bought the R800 because, wanting an upgrade from my heavy steel bike that would handle the hills where I live more nimbly than my old ride, I found the CAAD 7 R800 to be in my price range, a good fit, and a rocket on hills.

I am a pretty gentle rider, roads are good around here, and I am not going all out all the time; but I do like to go fast and I do 20 - 40 mile rides 2 to 3 times a week.

At no time while discussing the R800 with my bike shop, did anyone mention the warranty addendum that Cannondale has out for CAAD 7 or suggest that a rider of my size should steer clear of the CAAD 7 (they did suggest I swap out the Gipiemme wheels for sturdier -- i.e. more spokes -- wheels; which I have done --- 36H ultegra hubs and mavic OP rims). Nor did Cannondale customer service mention any frame issues when I contacted you in October to inquire as to whether the Gipiemme wheels would stand up to a rider of my weight. Not until after the purchase did I come across discussion on online forums indicating that someone of my size might experience premature fatigue because CAAD 7 weight savings resulted in a frame of potentially limited durability.

I love my bike and want it to last several years at least, so:

My Questions

Is the addendum meant to warn people like me that my bike might not last under stress of my fat ****? Or is it directed at hard racing competitors who will be beating their bikes up on the weekly racing circuit?

Should my local bike shop have counseled me toward a more sturdy frame (they were very high on CAAD 7s and steered me toward R1000 and R800 as one of the best frames on market for the money I wanted to spend)?

What does your testing show as far as CAAD 7 and fatigue is concerned? In other words, absent a wreck, how long should an avid rider like me on good roads expect the frame to hold up (I don't really expect you to answer this one but I throw it in anyway?

Bottom line, have I, as a larger rider, made an unwise purchase? I hope not, I love my bike. I don't expect it to last forever, but do expect to get more than two years of rides out of it.

-----------------Cannondale's Response---------------

Thank you for contacting Cannondale, and for the clear communication of your questions and concerns. Thank you also for reading and thinking about the CAAD 7 owners manual supplement. You took the information in the owners manual supplement and extrapolated to your body type and riding needs. If you read it carefully, you will see no conflict between what we have communicated there, and the responses to your questions here.

1. Cannondale has no weight limit for riders on the CAAD 7 frame.

2. Our extensive field-testing has shown that high rider weight does not automatically equal the frame seeing high loads. Consider that light, athletic riders can be very strong and can ride very aggressively. We have recorded the highest loads from such riders. Heavy riders are often less athletic and aggressive. While your concern is logical, we have done the testing a have no special concerns about heavy riders on our frames.

3. Very competitive riders ride a lot of miles. If a rider trains and races 10,000 miles/year, then it is likely that the frame will not last ten years. We are not talking about a weakness here, we are talking about that kind of rider wearing a product out.

4. The CAAD 7 frame design has passed all Cannondale fatigue standards. These standards are rigorous and we know not all of our competitors frames pass these standards. The CAAD 7 was also qualified by the neutral, German testing firm EFBe at the highest level. See http://www.efbe.de/defbefrm.htm

5. An important warning in the owners manual supplement is that this frame can be easily damaged. It may not survive a criterium crash. It is not meant for abuse. It can be easily dented and those dents may lead to a failure. We are seeking to make clear the tradeoff in the design: It is light and wonderful to ride. It is not a rugged workhorse that shrugs off abusive handling.

6. The focus of the CAAD 7 owners manual supplement is not fatigue. For some more information on fatigue, and factors that affect the fatigue life of a product, read section D of the owner's manual. It's also on our website at http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/tech/manuals.html Your technical curiosity makes me think you will enjoy learning about fatigue.

With your moderate riding habits and mileage, this frame should work well for you. We cannot predict how long anyone's frame will last, but have no particular concerns about your riding this bike. We would say this to anyone: maintain it, inspect it. The retailers advice re wheels better suited for your size is good. Substituting any "ultralight" components is not a good idea.

Enjoy the ride, and feel free to contact us any time,

G'day,

I'm a bigger guy, (all right, all right...I'm a fat *******...happy now?). i've raced an Al frame for the last 3 years (the same one, without any difficulties. At the risk of stating the bloody obvious....rather than worrying to much about the bikes weight...its much easier to lose some of your own, ( a bloody site cheaper too!). The added bonus is that you look & feel healthier, not too mention climbing performance,

cheers,

Hitchy

Originally posted by Hitchy
G'day,

I'm a bigger guy, (all right, all right...I'm a fat *******...happy now?). i've raced an Al frame for the last 3 years (the same one, without any difficulties. At the risk of stating the bloody obvious....rather than worrying to much about the bikes weight...its much easier to lose some of your own, ( a bloody site cheaper too!). The added bonus is that you look & feel healthier, not too mention climbing performance,

cheers,

Hitchy

Why do people always follow the phrase "at the risk of stating the obvious" by STATING THE BLOODY OBVIOUS? I wanted a faster cooler bike so I bought one. Then I found out I might be too heavy for it. Turns out I'm not, yippee. Anyway, I didn't say I bought the bike because it was lighter, I bought it because it was stiffer and faster, particularly going up hills, than anything I'd ridden before. Incidentally, buying a new bike is actually quite a bit easier than losing weight off one's ass. The latter does not require that I give up beer.

Originally posted by DOS
Why do people always follow the phrase "at the risk of stating the obvious" by STATING THE BLOODY OBVIOUS? I wanted a faster cooler bike so I bought one. Then I found out I might be too heavy for it. Turns out I'm not, yippee. Anyway, I didn't say I bought the bike because it was lighter, I bought it because it was stiffer and faster, particularly going up hills, than anything I'd ridden before. Incidentally, buying a new bike is actually quite a bit easier than losing weight off one's ass. The latter does not require that I give up beer.

G'day,

MMMM beer...looks like you, me & Homer Simpson have the same issue!.......I take your point, my point, (which I may not have made to well) was that instead of buying some supa-light bike that weight maybe an issue for......I would buy something a little sturdier (& probably heavier) that I wouldn't have to worry about...if the weight of the bike was an issue, this can be counteracted by your own body weight......Personally, I wish i could afford a CAAD 7......In the interim, I'll shut up & go have another beer,

cheers,

Hitchy

I am 6'3" and 225, and I looked long and hard at the 04 Alp D'Huez not so much for the material, but for the geometry. The bike is well designed for a larger rider. The new bike has a lot of head tube, 19cm on a 59cm bike vs. 15-16cm on most square diamond race frames of the same size. This brings the bar up quite a bit over a traditional 59. The price is right on the Lemond as well @ 1300 for a nicely equiped Ultegra bike.

A 58 C'Dale is very cramped for me, but the 60cm Dale is so stretched out that I would need a very short stem. You may find it ok depending on your proportions.

I am not sure about you, but I carry good percentage of my weight through my chest and shoulders and my current traditional frame geometry and the resulting aggressive riding position causes a lot of upper body fatigue on rides that go more than 20-30 miles. Not to mention my lower back feels freaken aweful after my longer weekend rides.

The Alp d'Huez frame appears to be impeccably constructed and is not so light that I am concerned about breakage. My Aluminum mountain bike from 98 is still going strong with a lot more abuse than any road bike I own will ever see. My concern with it is ride quality, I have ridden nice steel bikes for a long time and when I tried to flex the Alp d'huez it did not budge a tiny bit I plan on test riding it tomorrow, maybe I will have some insite afterward.

I am also checking out a low level Aluminum/Carbon Specialized Roubaix, the geometry is very similar to the Alp D'Huez. (A 58cm Roubaix has a 21cm head tube) I sat on both this evening and they are remarkable in the similarity of riding position.

If you have gotten this far, does anyone have any direct experience with a carbon seat post on an aluminum bike? Does it improve ride significantly? Also, has anyone tried the specialized post with the elastemer damper?

Matt