Frame Couplings Retrofit Shop?

Daniel Norton

Guest
I'm in Austin, Texas, looking for a frame shop that will retrofit
couplings (see www.sandsmachine.com) onto my Reynolds 853 frame (from
a 2002 Lemond). I know someone who had it done nearby (same frame),
but that shop closed.

Any recommendations? I don't expect anything locally, so I'm
expecting to ship the frame.

(The list at www.sandsmachine.com isn't maintained and a lot of the
info is wrong.)

Thanks.

--
Daniel

http://www.bilenky.com/Retrofits.html

news:[email protected]...

On Sep 1, 12:22 pm, Daniel Norton <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm in Austin, Texas, looking for a frame shop that will retrofit
> couplings (seewww.sandsmachine.com) onto my Reynolds 853 frame (from
> a 2002 Lemond). I know someone who had it done nearby (same frame),
> but that shop closed.
>
> Any recommendations? I don't expect anything locally, so I'm
> expecting to ship the frame.
>
> (The list atwww.sandsmachine.comisn't maintained and a lot of the
> info is wrong.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Daniel

Any builder who carries liability insurance can get them.
Installation isn't tricky, but I've contacted a couple builders about
doing the work and surprisingly - most don't carry insurance. Not
enough margin in that "art".

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 19:22:28 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech Daniel Norton
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm in Austin, Texas, looking for a frame shop that will retrofit
>couplings (see www.sandsmachine.com) onto my Reynolds 853 frame (from
>a 2002 Lemond). I know someone who had it done nearby (same frame),
>but that shop closed.
>
>Any recommendations? I don't expect anything locally, so I'm
>expecting to ship the frame.
>
>(The list at www.sandsmachine.com isn't maintained and a lot of the
>info is wrong.)
>
>Thanks.

I think Skip Hujsak still has a shop in Wimberley. He *can* do decent
work when he wants to... the trick is figuring out when he's in the
mood to do it right. But that may be the shop that closed. He used
to have a good reputation back in the '80s, but lately, I've seen some
poor work come out his back door.

It will cost you almost as much to retrofit a frame as it will to buy
a new one. If the frame has antique value, then chopping it up will
destroy that.

Jones

On Sep 1, 1:22 pm, Daniel Norton <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm in Austin, Texas, looking for a frame shop that will retrofit
> couplings (seewww.sandsmachine.com) onto my Reynolds 853 frame (from
> a 2002 Lemond). I know someone who had it done nearby (same frame),
> but that shop closed.
>
> Any recommendations? I don't expect anything locally, so I'm
> expecting to ship the frame.
>
> (The list atwww.sandsmachine.comisn't maintained and a lot of the
> info is wrong.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Daniel

Contact Waterford Bikes..I think they do retrofit of S&S couplers.

http://www.waterfordbikes.com

On Sep 2, 5:36 am, !Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> It will cost you almost as much to retrofit a frame as it will to buy
> a new one. If the frame has antique value, then chopping it up will
> destroy that.

What are your numbers? My numbers show $400 for a 2002 Reynolds 853
frame off eBay plus $460 for the retrofit. How can I beat that?

--
Daniel

On Sep 3, 4:43 am, Daniel Norton <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 2, 5:36 am, !Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > It will cost you almost as much to retrofit a frame as it will to buy
> > a new one. If the frame has antique value, then chopping it up will
> > destroy that.

> What are your numbers? My numbers show $400 for a 2002 Reynolds 853
> frame off eBay plus $460 for the retrofit. How can I beat that?
>
> --
> Daniel

Don't forget the suitcase, not included generally.

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 10:43:13 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech Daniel Norton
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What are your numbers? My numbers show $400 for a 2002 Reynolds 853
>frame off eBay plus $460 for the retrofit. How can I beat that?

00000

Always use numbers that end in zero so they come outta yer ass
smoothly like a good ****. That's what I do, anyway.

I'm not going to try to stop you. I considered S&S for a traveling
tandem recently and, adding up the shipping and repainting, it was
comparable to just having the retrofit shop build it... it was six of
one and half a dozen of the other.

But, if that's what makes you happy and that's the frame you want,
then it probably won't cost a whole lot *more* than a new frame and
you'll be satisfied.

Make sure that you're figuring repaint and decals... not casting
aspersions, mind you, but you want no nasty surprises. Methinks $460
is cheap; however, I don't run a frame shop.

Jones

[email protected] wrote:

> Any builder who carries liability insurance can get them.
> Installation isn't tricky, but I've contacted a couple builders about
> doing the work and surprisingly - most don't carry insurance. Not
> enough margin in that "art".

I've met the owner of S&S several times and you're right, it is
surprising about the insurance. There's some touring bicycles that would
be great with the S&S couplers but you have to get a retrofit as the
builders of the bicycles don't have insurance and can't buy the couplers
as a result.

On Sep 1, 12:22 pm, Daniel Norton <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm in Austin, Texas, looking for a frame shop that will retrofit
> couplings (seewww.sandsmachine.com) onto my Reynolds 853 frame (from
> a 2002 Lemond). I know someone who had it done nearby (same frame),
> but that shop closed.
>
> Any recommendations? I don't expect anything locally, so I'm
> expecting to ship the frame.
>
> (The list atwww.sandsmachine.comisn't maintained and a lot of the
> info is wrong.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Daniel

R&E Cycles in Seattle does retrofits for $600, including cable
couplers, not including paint or dis/reassembly.

http://www.rodcycle.com/articles/frame_repair.html

FWIW, they did my repaint of my PX-10 and it came out beautifully.
They build Rodriguez bikes there, which have an excellent reputation
'round here.

I had couplings retrofitted to a Litespeed titanium frame by Bilenky, who
did a good job. Go to www.bilenky.com and click on the Retrofits link.

Nick