Frame failure? Risk mgmnt que

teamgomez

Aug 23, 2005
Looking to ORM a possible frame failure and get some thoughts from y'all if you have a moment to comment on today's technology.

I've taken the Nashbar Road LP (vintage '85- about 9k miles on frame from heavy traning 85-89) out of the closet to get my **** back in shape. A flight injury took the wind out of my sails a week prior to the R&R Marathon last year and I've withered on the vine ever since due to a degraded lower back. Jogging no longer an option, put about 150 miles on the Nashbar over the past 2 weeks and it looks like I'll be 'getting back in the saddle'. I'm 72" tall/183lbs (about 8 lbs over my marathon weight a year ago and they gotta go)

Primary concern: I noticed a crack in the rear brake attach crossbar where it is welded to the rear chanstay tube and probably goes about 90 degress around the weld (read: rear brake crosstube could depart during catastrophic failure). I guess I'm answering my own question- but just how much 'life' does 9k miles take out of a steel frame? I've rebuilt the bottom bracket/hubs a number of times, it still rides good but I've not ridden any 'new' technology so I don't know what I'm missing; but I'm also concerned about something letting go doing 40mph (downhill/tailwind/drafting). If anybody has had a catastrophic failure would love to hear about it.

I had to get a new set of tires for the freshen up and was taken aback at the pricing for a decent ride. I'm not looking for a granny hill bike (3 ringer up front...am I being too critical?). I live in hilly so cal and must admit that the notion of some lower gears seems appealing, but my 20 year old brain (attached to a 40 year old body) still screams NO. Perspective on this notion appreciated.

Back to topic- looking for good climb performance in a frame set up for a classic road position. No racing but I hate losing to my buddies on the weekend (tho not looking for a checkbook dragrace). Looking to ride 4x/week 17-50 mi each ride. Don't want bone jarring due to lower back sensitivities.

I've read a few comments on Giant TCR and must admit I was a little smitten by the TCR3 composite at the LBS. $1500 sans pedals. If anybody could give me some subjective comments on what this bike brings to the table given my objectives would be greatly appreciated. I initially steered away from composite for fear of my 2/4yr old boys whacking it w/ a golf club and I'm not in a position to hang it in the house. I take good care of my stuff, but like the Nashbar, I expect it to last a while.

Thanks all- appreciate your thoughts/comments.

~John

teamgomez said:
I've read a few comments on Giant TCR and must admit I was a little smitten by the TCR3 composite at the LBS. $1500 sans pedals. If anybody could give me some subjective comments on what this bike brings to the table given my objectives would be greatly appreciated. I initially steered away from composite for fear of my 2/4yr old boys whacking it w/ a golf club and I'm not in a position to hang it in the house. I take good care of my stuff, but like the Nashbar, I expect it to last a while.

Thanks all- appreciate your thoughts/comments.

~John
I would also check out the TCR Composite Limited Series as well. Has Ultegra components on the same frame for a little more money.