Frame failure?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bentbiker, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    I've had two people asking my opinions on bikes recently, which got me thinking [i know dangerous
    thing for me], has any one else ever heard of a bike frame failure on a V-rex or a Haluzak? Two
    totally different frames, one triangulated ['Rex] and one monotube passive suspended ['Zak] I've
    been riding bents since the mid eighties, and was wondering if any one else had ever heard of one on
    these two bikes?

    Tags:

  2. bentbiker wrote:
    > I've had two people asking my opinions on bikes recently, which got me thinking [i know dangerous
    > thing for me], has any one else ever heard of a bike frame failure on a V-rex or a Haluzak? Two
    > totally different frames, one triangulated ['Rex] and one monotube passive suspended ['Zak] I've
    > been riding bents since the mid eighties, and was wondering if any one else had ever heard of one
    > on these two bikes?

    Have never heard of a recumbent frame failure, but then I havn't been riding too long. However I had
    an Alan, Italian aluminum DF which developed a crack across the bottom bracket. My LBS sent it back
    to the factory with two other Alans which also had assorted frame cracks. Nothing was ever heard
    them. Frank

  3. Mike Warner

    Mike Warner Guest

    Damn. That was damn near 30 years ago, wasn't it? I had one of those screwed-and-glued frames. Gold
    or silver anodized. Mine was gold. Whippy little booger.

    --
    Replace "crap" with "warnerm" in my email addr

  4. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I own a Haluzak and have wondered about any frame failures, too. That fork floating off the back end
    makes me wonder sometimes--though the ride is great! The only frame failure for a bent that I've
    ever heard of was the few Double Vision failures from last year--but only a few.

    Scott

  5. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    that Haluzak fork passive rear suspension also had me wondering, but I've never heard of a fialure,
    and my buddy who builds bikes, says that's not really much different from some vehicle suspension.

    Scott wrote:
    > I own a Haluzak and have wondered about any frame failures, too. That fork floating off the back
    > end makes me wonder sometimes--though the ride is great! The only frame failure for a bent that
    > I've ever heard of was the few Double Vision failures from last year--but only a few.
    >
    > Scott

  6. I've seen / heard of three Kingcycle frame failures. One was on one of the first batch of ten, which
    used thinner gauge tubing than subsequent models, and another was attributed to the tube being
    overheated during a repair to the idler pulley mount.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  7. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    It was one of those big issue things when aluminium frames first started to become popular; that aluminium frames have a limited lifespan due to limited fatigue resistance, every bump you ever went over would shorten the lifespan of the frame......

    And, guess what? It didn't happen. Well, not much.

    Bike manufacturers aren't quite that stupid. They, generally, overbuild because otherwise, if a frame broke and resulted in injuries a court case would ensue. Oops.