Frame failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bentbiker

I've had two people asking my opinions on bikes recently, which got me thinking [i know dangerous
thing for me], has any one else ever heard of a bike frame failure on a V-rex or a Haluzak? Two
totally different frames, one triangulated ['Rex] and one monotube passive suspended ['Zak] I've
been riding bents since the mid eighties, and was wondering if any one else had ever heard of one on
these two bikes?

bentbiker wrote:
> I've had two people asking my opinions on bikes recently, which got me thinking [i know dangerous
> thing for me], has any one else ever heard of a bike frame failure on a V-rex or a Haluzak? Two
> totally different frames, one triangulated ['Rex] and one monotube passive suspended ['Zak] I've
> been riding bents since the mid eighties, and was wondering if any one else had ever heard of one
> on these two bikes?
>

Have never heard of a recumbent frame failure, but then I havn't been riding too long. However I had
an Alan, Italian aluminum DF which developed a crack across the bottom bracket. My LBS sent it back
to the factory with two other Alans which also had assorted frame cracks. Nothing was ever heard
them. Frank

Damn. That was damn near 30 years ago, wasn't it? I had one of those screwed-and-glued frames. Gold
or silver anodized. Mine was gold. Whippy little booger.

m

Frank P. Patterson wrote:

> bentbiker wrote:
>> I've had two people asking my opinions on bikes recently, which got me thinking [i know dangerous
>> thing for me], has any one else ever heard of a bike frame failure on a V-rex or a Haluzak? Two
>> totally different frames, one triangulated ['Rex] and one monotube passive suspended ['Zak] I've
>> been riding bents since the mid eighties, and was wondering if any one else had ever heard of one
>> on these two bikes?
>>
>
> Have never heard of a recumbent frame failure, but then I havn't been riding too long. However I
> had an Alan, Italian aluminum DF which developed a crack across the bottom bracket. My LBS sent it
> back to the factory with two other Alans which also had assorted frame cracks. Nothing was ever
> heard them. Frank

--
Replace "****" with "warnerm" in my email addr

I own a Haluzak and have wondered about any frame failures, too. That fork floating off the back end
makes me wonder sometimes--though the ride is great! The only frame failure for a bent that I've
ever heard of was the few Double Vision failures from last year--but only a few.

Scott

that Haluzak fork passive rear suspension also had me wondering, but I've never heard of a fialure,
and my buddy who builds bikes, says that's not really much different from some vehicle suspension.

Scott wrote:
> I own a Haluzak and have wondered about any frame failures, too. That fork floating off the back
> end makes me wonder sometimes--though the ride is great! The only frame failure for a bent that
> I've ever heard of was the few Double Vision failures from last year--but only a few.
>
> Scott

I've seen / heard of three Kingcycle frame failures. One was on one of the first batch of ten, which
used thinner gauge tubing than subsequent models, and another was attributed to the tube being
overheated during a repair to the idler pulley mount.

Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

It was one of those big issue things when aluminium frames first started to become popular; that aluminium frames have a limited lifespan due to limited fatigue resistance, every bump you ever went over would shorten the lifespan of the frame......

And, guess what? It didn't happen. Well, not much.

Bike manufacturers aren't quite that stupid. They, generally, overbuild because otherwise, if a frame broke and resulted in injuries a court case would ensue. Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.