Frame fit, bigger or smaller?

Dave Stoller

Jun 21, 2005
I'm darn close to ordering a Flyte SRS-2 (Airbornes new name) but I'm right in between the 54cm and 56cm based on thier sizing proceedure.

So..... is it better to go smaller or larger? I'm riding a 56cm 1999 worn out Cannondale R500 that feels too long in the top tube now. I'd also like to be a bit more comfortable on the long rides. It's of course a traditional frame compared to the Flyte as more of a compact frame. Which way to go?

Dave ,

I had the same problem, I'm between 52 and 54, however I ride with a steep, 76degree, seat tube. My Road bike is 54cm tt, 74.5 degree seat tube, however with the seat forward 20mm I get 52cm effective top tube and 76 degrees effective seat post angle, perfect, so for me it was a half size bigger.

What seat tube angle do you prefer?

as long as you don't end up singing soprano when you straddle the bike, i'd say it probably comes down to the stem. if the stock stem feels too long or short, you can change it to one with a longer or shorter neck.

Dave Stoller said:
I'm darn close to ordering a Flyte SRS-2 (Airbornes new name) but I'm right in between the 54cm and 56cm based on thier sizing proceedure.

So..... is it better to go smaller or larger? I'm riding a 56cm 1999 worn out Cannondale R500 that feels too long in the top tube now. I'd also like to be a bit more comfortable on the long rides. It's of course a traditional frame compared to the Flyte as more of a compact frame. Which way to go?

The key measurement is the relative top-tube length. Use that in your comparisons between frames of different geometry. Based on your assessment that the R500 feels a bit long, I would go with the 54 and fine tune the fit with the stem length.

I agree with John M. The Top Tube Lenght is critical for comfort. Fine tuning with stem lenghts is the way to go when in doubt. Good luck!

Dave Stoller said:

Thanks for the advise...The Flyte effective tope tubes are 54cm for the small and 56 for the medium. The same measurement on my Cannondale is 56.5cm and I'm using a short 10cm stem...but at the same time I've pushed my saddle way back to get my knee lined up to the pedal. The Flyte sizing puts closer to the small frame (going smaller) but with a 130cm stem? So...... maybe a large with a 120 stem is the way to go???

I don't know anything about correctly fitting a bike, so be wary of taking my advice.

I am between a 60cm and a 63cm. I probably could have gone with the 63cm (in fact, the guy that did the fitting said 63cm), but the 60cm just felt better. It felt like I had more control. Maybe it was just in my head though.

-Matt

Dave Stoller said:
Thanks for the advise...The Flyte effective tope tubes are 54cm for the small and 56 for the medium. The same measurement on my Cannondale is 56.5cm and I'm using a short 10cm stem...but at the same time I've pushed my saddle way back to get my knee lined up to the pedal. The Flyte sizing puts closer to the small frame (going smaller) but with a 130cm stem? So...... maybe a large with a 120 stem is the way to go???

This might not be the advice that you are looking for, but mail ordering a bike is usually best for those who know exactly what they want and are equipped (with tools and experience) to offset the lack of help that comes with buying a bike in a shop. You may benefit from the support a good shop can provide in selecting the right size and fine tuning the fit of a new bike. After all, in the shop you could test ride 54s and 56s and (ideally) try different stem lengths before you buy to make sure you get the right fit. It is hard (and expensive) to do that via UPS.

Under the right circumstances I am a big believer in mail order/online but this is one of the times when a local shop (and its higher prices) may be worth it.

you should start with the seat in the correct position first, and then see about fitting the stem. if you're overstretched with a short stem, go with the smaller frame. then a standard stem might be fine. if not you can go either shorter or longer.

however, i also agree with john m. you might want to go through your lbs, even though more expensive. you've been riding overstretched on your current bike because you didn't get fit right. why chance it again? i don't think the penny or two a day it costs over the long run is worth the discomfort of an ill fitting bike.
use the discount houses when you upgrade parts