Frame Geometry

ibis315

Mar 28, 2003
I'm looking to buy a new frame, but I have some interesting geometry numbers I got from the manufacturer :

Size : 52.5 cm
Top Tube : 53.5 cm
Head Ang : 72 Degrees
Seat Ang : 74 Degrees
Chain Stay : 38 cm (really short)
Fork Rake : 4.3 cm
BB drop : 9 cm (wow!)
BB Height : 25 cm (wow!)
Wheelbase : 95.8 cm (short)

My question is, with such a low bottom bracket height combined with short wheelbase and shallow head tube angle, how would the bike handle? My current frame is :

Top Tube : 53 cm
Head Ang : 73 Degrees
Seat Ang : 73 Degrees
Chain Stay : 41 cm
Fork Rake : ?
BB drop : 6 cm
Wheelbase : about 98 cm

My main concern is the low bottom bracket and shallow head angle making the bike handle too slow. However, does the short chain stay/wheelbase compensate for BB and HA? Thanks for the information.

are you sure these figures are correct? these numbers seem very, well, outside the norm. BB drop is usually around 70mm giving a BB height of around 263 depending on tyres used, and the head angle of 72 would normally be matched with a 45mm offset.

Nevertheless, I'll draw it on a CAD program to see if the numbers you give will work.

Neil
www.billato.com

the chainstay is too short, i guess??? shortest i've seen is 39.5cm.
good for 650c maybe....
wheelbase too short. i think.

bb height? is this some kind of sports car? hehe...

is this a triathlon bike?

I'll check the angles....

Originally posted by dexmax

is this a triathlon bike?

Thats what I was thinking: 74 Degree seat angle, 38cm chain stay lenght, 25cm BB height sounds like a tri bike to me.

What sort of racing/riding are you doing idis?

cheers!

KACHUNK!!!!:)

of course, it's the numbers for a 650c wheel frame. Haven't had to build one for a while, that's why it wasn't immediately obvious
(to me anyway!)

On the other hand, if it's not......

Neil
www.billato.com