Frame height question

lyhnet

Jun 19, 2006
Hi,

I'm totally new in road bikes and I have a simple question that I hope you guys can help me with.

I have just bought this bike
(http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8826673445)

It is pretty cheap I would say, but probably not all of the components are that good. It is available in three frame sizes measured from center crank to top seat tube. 53cm, 57cm and 60cm. I know for sure that 60cm is to big.

Im 175cm tall and my inseam is 82cm. 55 Would probably be perfect, but this is not an option anymore. What would you recommend - 53cm or 57cm?

I will be cycling around 2x10 miles a day. Some say that it would be more comfortable to have it in 57cm - but would it fit my "short" legs?

Kind regards,
Anders

1361.jpg

lyhnet said:
Hi,

I'm totally new in road bikes and I have a simple question that I hope you guys can help me with.

I have just bought this bike
(http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8826673445)

It is pretty cheap I would say, but probably not all of the components are that good. It is available in three frame sizes measured from center crank to top seat tube. 53cm, 57cm and 60cm. I know for sure that 60cm is to big.

Im 175cm tall and my inseam is 82cm. 55 Would probably be perfect, but this is not an option anymore. What would you recommend - 53cm or 57cm?

I will be cycling around 2x10 miles a day. Some say that it would be more comfortable to have it in 57cm - but would it fit my "short" legs?
Nice looking bike ...

FWIW. Personally, I would recommend you choose the 53cm frame ... I'm 5'9" (175.26), and while my old "touring" bike has a 56cm frame, I am currently riding 52cm & 53cm frames.

The attached picture is my 53cm (c-c) Olmo -- my other road frames are 52cm (c-c)

The top of the saddle is 28.25" (71.75cm) above the center of the crankset -- if that appears to be the amount of seatpost "exposure" you want, then choose the 53cm frame. The top tube is 54cm, and the stem is 110mm.

If you want the saddle closer to the top tube, then choose the 57cm frame.

How'd you come up with a 55 as your ideal size? If you used a fit calculator, that's cool. Otherwise use one to get a good idea. That being said, I'd go with the 53 over the 57. While not perfect you can deal with a slightly smaller frame, but a too big one will never work no way no how.

lyhnet said:

BTW. I think that the reason you were told the 57cm frame would be "more comfortable" is because the stem & handlebars would probably begin in a higher position.

Regardless, you can adjust the stem & handlebars on the 53cm frame to match the initial position of the handlebars on the 57cm frame by using a different stem on the 53cm frame ... some stems can be "inverted" to raise/lower the height of the handlebars by an inch (2.54cm) or more.

I think you will be able to adapt the 53cm frame a little more easily to whatever saddle & handlebar heights you want than you could with the 57cm frame.

For me the most important measurement of the frame is the top-tube measurement as that determines the reach. There are some online built computers which take into account the meausrement of your arms, torso, legs, and helps you to work out a bike size.

That would make a good starting point in your search for the bike.

I've got a similar inseam length and I wouldn't go anywhere near a 57cm frame. Go for the 53. As far as reach is concerned, that's why they invented different length stems...

lyhnet said:

Kind regards,
Anders

Well your legs are not 'short' by any means. I am 6'1" (185cm) with less than a 32 inch inseam (81cm). I use a 57 bike due to the top tube length.
The main thing is NOT the frame 'size', but rather the top tube length and head tube length. Go first for the top tube length being appropriate. Make sure you find one that fits you proportionally. Check out www.competitivecyclist.com and their fit calculator. It did me a world of good.