Frame Height?

LiquidMercury18

Jul 9, 2004
Ok I'm new to cycling and was wondering about frame heights and all. I am 5'9" Somewhat shorter legs and longer torso. What size frame would I get?

LiquidMercury18 said:
Ok I'm new to cycling and was wondering about frame heights and all. I am 5'9" Somewhat shorter legs and longer torso. What size frame would I get?

Measure your inseam. In bare feet and standing straight, straddle a book and press it upward into your crotch like it was a bicycle seat. Now measure from the floor to the top edge of the book. Take two thirds (0.67) of this measurement. That is your frame size.

Mr_Potatohead said:
Measure your inseam. In bare feet and standing straight, straddle a book and press it upward into your crotch like it was a bicycle seat. Now measure from the floor to the top edge of the book. Take two thirds (0.67) of this measurement. That is your frame size.

well tried that seems as though i have about a 60 cm inseam but i don't think I'm doing it right for some reason.

Mr_Potatohead said:

well where did you get this info for the frame size
I stand 6'4" with a 34" inseam
and according to your calulations I should ride a 22" frame

in metric
I stand 1.93m with a 86cm inseam
and according to your calulations I should ride a 57cm to 58cm frame

I ride a 66cm frame with the seat raised about 5cm

not saying your wrong just wondering where the calulation came from ?

TechJD said:

in metric

The calculation seems to work OK for me.

I'm 6ft bang on (1.83cm) with an 88cm inseam. This gives a frame size of 59cm (centre to top I presume).

I currently ride a 57cm which I think is a little small for me due to the seat to h/bar drop, and the fact that I can't get the bars any higher without using a riser stem. A couple of extra cm on the head tube would do the trick without making the reach too long. Also, still sufficient crotch clearance over the cross bar on a conventional horizontal top tube frame.

PS 66cm frame size seems massive, even considering an overall height of 6'4"?

darrenf said:
PS 66cm frame size seems massive, even considering an overall height of 6'4"?

an image of it can be seen in "The Bike Cafe" under "The 'Bike Cost' Thread"
it's standin next to a 22" frame 26" Roadmaster belonging to my son
my son has his seat all the way up

TechJD said:

in metric

I'm guessing 34 inches is your pant size inseam. The measurement should be made from the floor, that adds 2 or 3 inches. Plus it's not a hard and fast rule, just a starting point. Whatever is comfortable for you.

Mr_Potatohead said:
I'm guessing 34 inches is your pant size inseam. The measurement should be made from the floor, that adds 2 or 3 inches. Plus it's not a hard and fast rule, just a starting point. Whatever is comfortable for you.
I done it like you said with the book
I normaly wear 34" lenght pants cause 33" isnt avaible

according to Schwinn for seat proper adjustment
you should raise the seat untill your leg is slightly bent with the pedle down
and you siting on the seat , then when you sit on the seat you should not be able to stand flat footed , you should have to slightly tiptoe

this is not possable for me with a 22" frame unless I have an extra long seat post

TechJD said:
I done it like you said with the book
I normaly wear 34" lenght pants cause 33" isnt avaible

according to Schwinn for seat proper adjustment
you should raise the seat untill your leg is slightly bent with the pedle down
and you siting on the seat , then when you sit on the seat you should not be able to stand flat footed , you should have to slightly tiptoe

this is not possable for me with a 22" frame unless I have an extra long seat post
another way to tell if your seat is too high is that when you pedal, you don't want to have to rock your hips back and forth in the saddle to be able to complete a full stroke of the pedals.

Another adage I was given was...if your thighs hurt seat is too low, calves hurt seat is too high, knees hurt....just right.