Whats your bike frame made from?

[poll]
[opt] 1  Steel[/opt]
[opt] 2  Aluminum[/opt]
[opt] 3  Carbon fiber[/opt]
[opt] 4  Titanium[/opt]
[opt] 5  Other[/opt]
[/poll]

has any one here got carbon fibre? what do you think?
i hear carbon fibre sags and weakens over time?

When i bought my bike I had a choice between the Carbon KHS or the Aluminium. I went for the Ally because it was stiffer and I didn't want to throw it away if i crashed it.

Hey guys, I hope you find this post here in this old thread!

How many kilometers can I expect to get out of my aluminium frame? I'm riding a Giant OCR3 frame, its an entry level bike in South Africa. I've done about 4200km road and 1500km on indoor trainer.

Help Please ;)

You should get many tens of thousands of kms of happy cycling out of an ally frame unless you weigh a ton. Those GIANTS are pretty good frames.

You should get many tens of thousands of kms of happy cycling out of an ally frame unless you weigh a ton. Those GIANTS are pretty good frames.
Weigh in at 71.5kg (Usually!, Since 94.7 though, I've managed to put on another 1.5kg :p)
Sean... back to the frame... do you think its a good option to upgrade the bike around the frame or get a new bike... I'm not rolling in cash so the upgrade component by component would suit me better .. is the frame worth it?? With some decent wheels and a new groupset I'm sure I would feel a bit better ??? ???

That's the way to do it just keep on upgrading the components. The Giant frame is good enough to serve you well but when you feel it's time to get something better (and your wallet allows you to) then upgrade the frame too and just transfer the better groupset and wheels.

By that time you have a second bike already which you can sell and make back some capitol. ;)

In 1984 I bought a Vitus 979 Aluminum frame which was real class in those days  :eek:. After riding it for about 2 years, the rear derailleur attachment broke and I had endless hassles to have it repaired. Eventually, I ended giving up on the Al frame and went for a Steel Reynolds 753SL tubed frame - real class too !! That frame has lasted till today, even though my bum  itched to get something "newer". So this year, I went on a mission to get myself a new bike - and guess what I got - an Al frame with Carbon fork, and this after I had said I would never again buy another Al frame... 8) So why did I change my mind ? The new Al frames are now painted as elegantly as the steel ones, and the rear derailleur attachement is replaceable (so it's common knowledge that these frames break at this point??). Anyhow, I liked the feel of the Al more, that's why I went for it instead. As for Carbon, never rode one so I won't comment.