Frame materials - Which is best?

Mike-<< Bikes that I'd recommend that you look at: Cannondale Specialized Giant LeMond Trek (both
the AL and carbon bikes) Felt Scattante (Supergo's house brand) etc.

Moots, Litespeed Seven Dean Nobilette Calfee Kestrel Torelli Mondonico Waterford etc...

Get the one that fitys ya, all else is rubbish...

lewis-<< Get the aluminum one.

I love my Cannondale, in addition to my 'bents. >><BR><BR>

There goes YOUR credibility.....

[email protected] (B) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >"Unobtainium".
>
> Is that similar to" Notobtainable"? B
>
> (remove clothes to reply)

Notobtainable is the salt of Unobtainium from which Unobtainium is isolated by the redox process.
The energy required for reduction of Notobtainable to Unobtainium is vast which explains why
Unobtainium is so expensive. The waste product of the process, Not-able, is extremely hard to
dispose of which drives the cost even higher. If Not-able could be further reduced to Notable, that
would be truly remarkable.

Stuart Black

> Mike-<< Bikes that I'd recommend that you look at: Cannondale Specialized Giant LeMond Trek (both
> the AL and carbon bikes) Felt Scattante (Supergo's house brand) etc.
>
> Moots, Litespeed Seven Dean Nobilette Calfee Kestrel Torelli Mondonico Waterford etc...
>

> Get the one that fitys ya, all else is rubbish...

Isn't that what I said? (more or less?)

Mike

> jeff-<< I have an old CroMo that has served me well but now it's time to upgrade. >><BR><BR>
>
> Altho this is a no answer question, i gotta respond..Is the old CroMo
working
> for ya, fit ya? What do ya think a new frameset will do that the old one
won't?
> What question will it answer other than i need to spend some $$
>
> Put four people in a room and ask about frameset materuial, get five opinions...
>
> All have pluses and minuses...
>
> I like steel, BTW...

Me too. ...and AL, and Ti, and carbon...

They all make great bikes.

Its a good thing you can't generalize about the ride of any of them, otherwise we'd have a bunch of
arguments!

Mike

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:14:16 GMT, Jose Rizal <_@_._> wrote:

>Ed Chait:
>

>> "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Frame material makes no difference at all to comfort. Full stop.
>> >

>> It makes a great deal of difference in regards to transmission of high frequency vibration to
>> the rider.

Gee ....to fan the flames or not...

sadly gonna have to come down on the fan side...

Before I say anything else ... I do not know of ANY studies on this subject specifically related
to cycling, neither in identifying and quantifying "road buzz" as a vibration source, nor in
measuring vibration in a bicycle...

To make matters more fun, asking someone to define or quantify "comfort" is silly... you may as
well ask what is the best colour?

There is a great deal of information on the vibration
dampening/transmission qualities of differing materials..

(heck there are whole scientific fields based around that principle)

(there is an interesting but not too readable chart on page two here
http://silver.neep.wisc.edu/~lakes/VEHierCmp.pdf )

(okay so if you want to argue that start here)

Next..

There is no small amount of medical information regarding the effects of both high and low
frequency vibrations on health. (OHAS now has standards for exposure/and protective gloves)
specifically due to something they call Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome.

The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board as recently identified "whole body vibration" and
"Segmental Vibration" as contributing factors to "Raynaud's syndrome ...shoulder problems, low
back pain, stomach disorders, general fatigue, and irritability" (these would certainly affect MY
comfort) amongst heavy machinery operators. They go so far as to specifically recommend
"Equipment controls should have vibration-reducing material built into the grips. "

(OK so if ya wanna argue with that start here)

Now comes the undocumented bits... and this part you can scrap about...

I think I would be correct to say that everyone who has ridden road knows there is a difference
between riding on freshly laid asphalt and on a surface that is much older. The feel is quite
different ... and the difference is vibration.

As I said there is no scientific test that I know of that shows exact frequencies or
amplitudes(1), but realistically does that really matter? If you can feel the change it is there
..after all you don't need the thermometer to tell you if you're cold.

So ...
1) you do feel vibration from the road surface when you ride.
2) vibration does have an effect on your body.
3) Different materials transmit or dampen vibration differently.

It is far more accurate to say that frame material CAN affect comfort than it is to say it does not.
I'll not deny that there are other factors that have a greater effect (far greater in some cases),
but to dismiss the idea outright is wrong.

(if anyone is interested in underwriting a test I figure I can put one together for about 5K all
that is needed is a few accelerometers and a data collector... though I would need people to
volunteer frames, there might be some marring where the accelerometers were mounted.)

"Ed Chait" <[email protected]> wrote
>have done all this being acutely aware of the insidious nature of placebo
effect.

Being acutely aware of the placebo effect doesn't make it any less insidious...

<snip>
> It is far more accurate to say that frame material CAN affect comfort than it is to say it does
> not. I'll not deny that there are other factors that have a greater effect (far greater in some
> cases), but to dismiss the idea outright is wrong.

Thank you. That's what I've been trying to say the last few times I've gotten into these
discussions.

I'm going watch to see how many people rise on this one.

Mike

On 21 Nov 2003 03:00:05 -0800, [email protected] (Rik O'Shea) may have said:

>A new bicycle tubing has just been developed that is made out of a material that was developed by
>NASA as part of the Space Shuttle program. This super alloy is called "Unobtainium".

Sorry, no, that's was a proprietary material developed by Porsche in the '70s, and used to make many
of the parts of the cars raced by Penske's team. Jobst probably has a sample somewhere.

don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy. Words processed in a facility that
contains nuts.

On 21 Nov 2003 07:46:00 -0800, [email protected] (Stuart Black) wrote:
>extremely hard to dispose of which drives the cost even higher. If Not-able could be further
>reduced to Notable, that would be truly remarkable.

I'm pretty sure that Notable is easily catalyzed into Really-greatium. The catalyst is
Nonexistine, IIRC.

--
Rick Onanian

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:<nygvb.716$9O5.77@fed1read06>...
> "TBGibb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, jeff_ca <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > >upgrade. My pocketbook likes the Aluminum bike but I've been told that since I'm a big guy, 6'
> > >215 lbs, that aluminum may not give me a good ride. I have been told to get carbon or titanium.
> > >What is you take on this
> >
> > You need to ride the things to choose.
> >
> > I suspect the Al "harsh ride" is, at best, urban legend propagated by
> certain
> > bicycling journalists. I, at a 180 lbs, cannot get my Cannondale frame to wobble in the least
> > and have no complaints about the ride (it is an MTB).
>
> I wonder why? Might it have something to do with 2.1" low pressure knobbies?
>
> I also have a nice Bob Jackson (731 OS) that I can get a little wobble out of.
> > My third bike is a steel Bilenky touring bike and that will not wobble.
> >
> > Tom Gibb <[email protected]>

Dear Mike and Tom,

Wobble? Am I missing something here? I thought that wobble was what any bicycle does at a
sub-walking speed, quite different from the controversial frame "buzz".

Is buzz wobble?

(It's hard not to look at that line without pride.)

Carl Fogel

But just wait till they use utopiam to make a frame. B

news:[email protected]...

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:25:51 -0500, "Belij3" <[email protected]> wrote:

>But just wait till they use utopiam to make a frame. B
utopiam and unobtanium are really the same material...chemically identical... just different
manufactures names for the same alloy.

"Robert Canon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Ed Chait" <[email protected]> wrote
> >have done all this being acutely aware of the insidious nature of placebo
> effect.
>
> Being acutely aware of the placebo effect doesn't make it any less insidious...

I think having a healthy awareness of it does make a difference in my subjective observations.

Ed Chait

Ed Chait:

> "Jose Rizal" <_@_._> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Ed Chait:
> >

> > > "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > >

> > > It makes a great deal of difference in regards to transmission of high frequency vibration to
> > > the rider.
> >
> > What frequency range are you on about?
> >
> > > If you're talking about absorbing hits from potholes, I agree, but as
> far as
> > > road buzz goes, steel and carbon fiber transmit a lot less of it than aluminum.
> >
> > BS. First define what you mean by road buzz, then quantify the frequency you're talking about,
> > then show analytically how steel and carbon transmit "a lot less" of this "road buzz".
> >
> > If you don't have any of your own analysis, just point to a reference for your pronouncements.
> >
> > > Full stop.
> >
> > Not there yet, not by a long shot.
>
> I've done extensive subjective observation

You can stop there, and say no more. In other words, you've got nothing.

> I don't care much about convincing you, you're not the one who chooses what bikes I ride.

Just as well, since you're the one who needs educating. Next time you proclaim bullcrap like you did
on your previous post, put your "subjective testing only" qualifier at the beginning. That'll save a
lot of time for people in ignoring your posts.

Better yet, just don't post it at all.

ajames54:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:14:16 GMT, Jose Rizal <_@_._> wrote:
>
> >Ed Chait:
> >

> >> "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...
> >> >

> >> It makes a great deal of difference in regards to transmission of high frequency vibration to
> >> the rider.
> >

> Before I say anything else ... I do not know of ANY studies on this subject specifically
> related to cycling, neither in identifying and quantifying "road buzz" as a vibration source,
> nor in measuring vibration in a bicycle...

> There is a great deal of information on the vibration
> dampening/transmission qualities of differing materials..

Relate that to bicycle frames in quantitative terms and you'd start getting somewhere.

> There is no small amount of medical information regarding the effects of both high and low
> frequency vibrations on health.
<- snip ->

Irrelevant.

> As I said there is no scientific test that I know of that shows exact frequencies or
> amplitudes(1), but realistically does that really matter? If you can feel the change it is
> there ...after all you don't need the thermometer to tell you if you're cold.

Feeling the difference is one thing, attributing (and proving) that to a specific cause (frame
material) is quite another.

> 1) you do feel vibration from the road surface when you ride.

Brilliant observation.

> 2) vibration does have an effect on your body.

Another brilliant deduction.

> 3) Different materials transmit or dampen vibration differently.

Sure. Foam dampens vibrations quite effectively. Talk about materials in the form of bicycle frames
though, because that's what the issue is.

> It is far more accurate to say that frame material CAN affect comfort than it is to say it
> does not.

How can you qualify that as "more accurate", when you have absolutely no scientific proof? Rephrase
that to "It is fair to guess that frame material..."; now THAT is a more accurate statement.

> I'll not deny that there are other factors that have a greater effect (far greater in some cases),
> but to dismiss the idea outright is wrong.

Lack of scientific proof makes that idea more accurately dismissed than accepted.

ajames54 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> There is a great deal of information on the vibration
> dampening/transmission qualities of differing materials..

Dampening is what a wet sponge does. Nice on a hot day, but otherwise not great for most structural
applications (very low specific stiffness).

-David

"Jose Rizal" <_@_._> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ed Chait:

Just as well, since you're the one who needs educating. Next time you
> proclaim bullcrap like you did on your previous post, put your "subjective testing only" qualifier
> at the beginning. That'll save a lot of time for people in ignoring your posts.
>
> Better yet, just don't post it at all.

Yes Sir!!!!!!!

I'll get right on that.

:)

Ed Chait

"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ed Chait <[email protected]> wrote:
> : I think having a healthy awareness of it does make a difference in my subjective observations.
>
> sure, in the complete opposite direction.
> --
> david reuteler [email protected]

We are always going to approach things with some degree of bias, but all I can do is be as honest
with myself as possible.

The frames I rode transmitted different amounts of vibration, honestly.

Now, whether you believe me or not is of no concern to me.

Ed Chait