Frame materials

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jon Morris, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. Jon Morris

    Jon Morris Guest

    Which is the stronger aluminium? 6061 or 7005?

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. > Which is the stronger aluminium? 6061 or 7005?

    Both. Neither. Either.

    It's not just the material, it's what you do with it. 6061 requires heat treatment, a time-consuming
    and costly process that (if things are done correctly) ensures a strong frame, typically lightweight
    because much of the cost is in the fabrication, not the material, so you might as well make
    something nice (as it doesn't add to the cost).

    7005 is weird stuff. You can make absolute junk out of it because, if you use enough of it (make it
    thick enough) you can get away without heat treating it. This means that, even though the material
    itself is considerably more costly than 6061, the end result is a much cheaper frame. Or, you can
    use it in very thin tube sections and heat treat it, making a very nice frame. In short, it's all
    over the map, and the fact that a frame is built with it tells you virtually nothing. It's *how*
    it's built that tells the story.

    "Jon Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Which is the stronger aluminium? 6061 or 7005?
    >
    > TIA

  3. David

    David Guest

    "Jon Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Which is the stronger aluminium? 6061 or 7005?

    What Mike said. 7005 is probably stronger if it's tempered. In bike applications it's usually not. I
    don't remember any Al strength or hardness numbers but you can look 'em up on the web if you care. I
    do remember 7075-T6 as being harder than mild steel.

    One way it matters is this: If your frame is made out of tempered aluminum it's virtually
    unrepairable after it cracks.