Frame mod

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Resound, Feb 18, 2005.

  1. Resound

    Resound Guest

    Ok, as frame mods go, this barely counts, but what I'm wanting to do with
    the old Malvern Star that I'm turning into a fixed is cut out the crosswise
    rear brake mounting bit between the seat stays. The only reason I want to do
    this is to give the bike a cleaner look. I'm guessing that it performs no
    function other than providing somewhere to mount the rear brakes/reflector.
    Am I right, or am I going to somehow create a wobbly frame or something
    similar? I await your sage advice. :)

    Tags:

  2. Resound wrote:
    > I'm guessing that it performs no function other than providing
    > somewhere to mount the rear brakes/reflector.

    Nope, it stiffens the back seat stays and hence the whole back triangle.
    You may of may not notice the difference.

  3. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Resound wrote:
    > > I'm guessing that it performs no function other than providing
    > > somewhere to mount the rear brakes/reflector.

    > Nope, it stiffens the back seat stays and hence the whole back triangle.
    > You may of may not notice the difference.

    Damn it, you're not supposed to tell me what I don't want to hear. *stamps
    foot petulantly*

  4. Resound wrote:

    > "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Resound wrote:
    > > > I'm guessing that it performs no function other than providing
    > > > somewhere to mount the rear brakes/reflector.

    > > Nope, it stiffens the back seat stays and hence the whole back triangle.
    > > You may of may not notice the difference.

    > Damn it, you're not supposed to tell me what I don't want to hear. *stamps
    > foot petulantly*

    Notice that I said "may" in the second paragraph. (it should have been
    may or may not)
    I don't know how significant the stiffening will be.

  5. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Resound wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm guessing that it performs no function other than providing
    >>>somewhere to mount the rear brakes/reflector.

    >>Nope, it stiffens the back seat stays and hence the whole back triangle.
    >>You may of may not notice the difference.

    > Damn it, you're not supposed to tell me what I don't want to hear. *stamps
    > foot petulantly*

    You could fill in the hole and paint over it. That looks quite neat on a
    fixie.

    --
    Nick

  6. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    paint it black & it'll look like it's not there.

  7. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Resound wrote:
    > > "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > >>Nope, it stiffens the back seat stays and hence the whole back triangle.
    > >>You may of may not notice the difference.

    > > Damn it, you're not supposed to tell me what I don't want to hear.

    *stamps
    > > foot petulantly*
    > >

    > You could fill in the hole and paint over it. That looks quite neat on a
    > fixie.
    >
    > --
    > Nick

    Not a bad thought. I bought new 27" alloy wheels and a 20 tooth sprocket and
    a chain and rim tape today. The rims were straight and true and alloy and
    new and $40 ea. so I figured they were worth it. I'm being a sensible lad
    and NOT assembling it straight away as I need that bike to commute on
    Tuesday (the OCR3 is getting its complimentary first service) so I'll ride
    it in the ratio that I'm going to as a fixed, and if that's not dreadful,
    I'll commute on it on Wed as a fixed.

    w00t.

  8. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Resound wrote:
    > > > "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]

    triangle.

    > > > Damn it, you're not supposed to tell me what I don't want to hear.

    > *stamps
    > > > foot petulantly*
    > > >

    > > You could fill in the hole and paint over it. That looks quite neat on a
    > > fixie.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Nick

    > Not a bad thought. I bought new 27" alloy wheels and a 20 tooth sprocket

    and
    > a chain and rim tape today. The rims were straight and true and alloy and
    > new and $40 ea. so I figured they were worth it. I'm being a sensible lad
    > and NOT assembling it straight away as I need that bike to commute on
    > Tuesday (the OCR3 is getting its complimentary first service) so I'll ride
    > it in the ratio that I'm going to as a fixed, and if that's not dreadful,
    > I'll commute on it on Wed as a fixed.
    >
    > w00t.

    Bloody French!

    I bought a couple of rolls of ZĂ©fal rim tape to finish the rims (was
    actually medium proud that I remembered) and sat down to wrap the rims with
    it. Nice stuff. Pleasantly robust, just sticky enough to sit well in the
    rim, exactingly cut to length...FOR A 700C RIM!

    Poo.

    Backed and filled with some offcut bits of material (my g/f makes clothes as
    one of her many hobbies) and masking tape, which should stop the spoke
    nipples getting over familiar with the inner tubes. It all looks dead spiffy
    now and it's almost going to be a shame to cover it up with the tyres.