Frame mod

Resound

Guest
Ok, as frame mods go, this barely counts, but what I'm wanting to do with
the old Malvern Star that I'm turning into a fixed is cut out the crosswise
rear brake mounting bit between the seat stays. The only reason I want to do
this is to give the bike a cleaner look. I'm guessing that it performs no
function other than providing somewhere to mount the rear brakes/reflector.
Am I right, or am I going to somehow create a wobbly frame or something
similar? I await your sage advice. :)

Resound wrote:
> I'm guessing that it performs no function other than providing
> somewhere to mount the rear brakes/reflector.

Nope, it stiffens the back seat stays and hence the whole back triangle.
You may of may not notice the difference.

"Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Resound wrote:
> > I'm guessing that it performs no function other than providing
> > somewhere to mount the rear brakes/reflector.

> Nope, it stiffens the back seat stays and hence the whole back triangle.
> You may of may not notice the difference.

Damn it, you're not supposed to tell me what I don't want to hear. *stamps
foot petulantly*

Resound wrote:

> "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Resound wrote:
> > > I'm guessing that it performs no function other than providing
> > > somewhere to mount the rear brakes/reflector.

> > Nope, it stiffens the back seat stays and hence the whole back triangle.
> > You may of may not notice the difference.

> Damn it, you're not supposed to tell me what I don't want to hear. *stamps
> foot petulantly*

Notice that I said "may" in the second paragraph. (it should have been
may or may not)
I don't know how significant the stiffening will be.

Resound wrote:
> "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Resound wrote:
>>
>>>I'm guessing that it performs no function other than providing
>>>somewhere to mount the rear brakes/reflector.

>>Nope, it stiffens the back seat stays and hence the whole back triangle.
>>You may of may not notice the difference.

> Damn it, you're not supposed to tell me what I don't want to hear. *stamps
> foot petulantly*

You could fill in the hole and paint over it. That looks quite neat on a
fixie.

--
Nick

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Resound wrote:
> > "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >>Nope, it stiffens the back seat stays and hence the whole back triangle.
> >>You may of may not notice the difference.

> > Damn it, you're not supposed to tell me what I don't want to hear.

*stamps
> > foot petulantly*
> >

> You could fill in the hole and paint over it. That looks quite neat on a
> fixie.
>
> --
> Nick

Not a bad thought. I bought new 27" alloy wheels and a 20 tooth sprocket and
a chain and rim tape today. The rims were straight and true and alloy and
new and $40 ea. so I figured they were worth it. I'm being a sensible lad
and NOT assembling it straight away as I need that bike to commute on
Tuesday (the OCR3 is getting its complimentary first service) so I'll ride
it in the ratio that I'm going to as a fixed, and if that's not dreadful,
I'll commute on it on Wed as a fixed.

w00t.

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Resound wrote:
> > > "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

triangle.

> > > Damn it, you're not supposed to tell me what I don't want to hear.

> *stamps
> > > foot petulantly*
> > >

> > You could fill in the hole and paint over it. That looks quite neat on a
> > fixie.
> >
> > --
> > Nick

> Not a bad thought. I bought new 27" alloy wheels and a 20 tooth sprocket

and
> a chain and rim tape today. The rims were straight and true and alloy and
> new and $40 ea. so I figured they were worth it. I'm being a sensible lad
> and NOT assembling it straight away as I need that bike to commute on
> Tuesday (the OCR3 is getting its complimentary first service) so I'll ride
> it in the ratio that I'm going to as a fixed, and if that's not dreadful,
> I'll commute on it on Wed as a fixed.
>
> w00t.

Bloody French!

I bought a couple of rolls of Zéfal rim tape to finish the rims (was
actually medium proud that I remembered) and sat down to wrap the rims with
it. Nice stuff. Pleasantly robust, just sticky enough to sit well in the
rim, exactingly cut to length...FOR A 700C RIM!

Poo.

Backed and filled with some offcut bits of material (my g/f makes clothes as
one of her many hobbies) and masking tape, which should stop the spoke
nipples getting over familiar with the inner tubes. It all looks dead spiffy
now and it's almost going to be a shame to cover it up with the tyres.