Frame painter in sydney

nerdag

Dec 12, 2004
Hi ladies and gents,

I'm looking for a frame painter in sydney, and wondering how much it may cost to strip and repaint a steel frame?

I recently bought an old steel frame that I'm looking to rebuild into a spare roadie. It's got a bit of surface rust, and the paint could do with some work, however it is perfectly usable.

I did a search earlier today, and remember that somebody in Melbourne would do all of that for about A$100 (think it was in a post by 531Aussie).

I've done the sums, and with a bit of work, the cost of stripper, rustguard, and primer, would be about $80. If that's the case, it's hardly worth doing a half-a_sed job myself.

So I was hoping that some of you may have had this done before, or know of somebody who may do this in Sydney? Any idea on how much they charge would be useful as well.

I'm not after anything fancy - one plain and simple colour is fine.

Many thanks in advance for your replies...

--
nerdag

nerdag said:
Hi ladies and gents,

I'm looking for a frame painter in sydney, and wondering how much it may cost to strip and repaint a steel frame?

I recently bought an old steel frame that I'm looking to rebuild into a spare roadie. It's got a bit of surface rust, and the paint could do with some work, however it is perfectly usable.

I did a search earlier today, and remember that somebody in Melbourne would do all of that for about A$100 (think it was in a post by 531Aussie).

I've done the sums, and with a bit of work, the cost of stripper, rustguard, and primer, would be about $80. If that's the case, it's hardly worth doing a half-a_sed job myself.

So I was hoping that some of you may have had this done before, or know of somebody who may do this in Sydney? Any idea on how much they charge would be useful as well.

I'm not after anything fancy - one plain and simple colour is fine.

Many thanks in advance for your replies...

--
nerdag

If you want the paint done properly there's only one place to get it done and thats Star Enamellers. Peter is the wizard of paint.
24 Excellor Ave Bankstown 2200 (02) 9790 1025

You might be able to get a smash repairer to do it cheap with what ever paint is in the gun.

Powdercoating. I've used
A. Abba Spray Pty Ltd
2 Cowper St Granville NSW 2142 ph: (02) 9637 7717

to powdercoat someframing and they were ridiculously cheap for cash.
If you like black!

Cheers

Geoff

geoffs said:
If you want the paint done properly there's only one place to get it done and thats Star Enamellers. Peter is the wizard of paint.
24 Excellor Ave Bankstown 2200 (02) 9790 1025

You might be able to get a smash repairer to do it cheap wbingaith what ever paint is in the gun.

Powdercoating. I've used
A. Abba Spray Pty Ltd
2 Cowper St Granville NSW 2142 ph: (02) 9637 7717

to powdercoat someframing and they were ridiculously cheap for cash.
If you like black!

Cheers

Geoff
Cheers, Geoff,

I've spoken to a few people about Peter already,and I do hear that he is a real magician with frames, however, the price would be about $200+, which is a little bit too much for what this frame is worth.

Powder coating by an auto spray painter is probably the way I'll go - how much did you pay to get your frame sprayed?

Ta,

n

Try Crowes Custom over at Beverly Hills. He has sprayed my BMW Motorcycle parts and countless Ducati parts over the years. He does a brilliant job. He might do it for you but Im not sure but it is certainly worth a try. When you deal with him you have to chase him though as he tends to always be busy. He often needs a little motivating. Interesting guy to deal with (could be all those fumes). Any way if he does it for you, you wont be dissapointed.

nerdag said:
Cheers, Geoff,

I've spoken to a few people about Peter already,and I do hear that he is a real magician with frames, however, the price would be about $200+, which is a little bit too much for what this frame is worth.

Powder coating by an auto spray painter is probably the way I'll go - how much did you pay to get your frame sprayed?

Ta,

n

it was 12 metal U shaped frames for a storage rack that I had powdercoated. They were a rectangular shape with a side missing out of 25mm square tube 1000x750mm. Cost was $110 cash and that included the sandblasting.
So I would expect a single bike would be cheaper

Cheers

Geoff

Hi

I got a bmx bike chromed a long time ago, cost around $80. Chrome is unfortunately heavy however in the process of chroming the frame is cleaned by dipping in chemical baths.

If you get it painted (whether it is stripped chemically or by sandblasting) you will probably need at least three costs, an under coat, top coat (your colour) and preferably a third coat, a clear lack to seal and protect the paintwork.

I painted an old chromolly tandem tandem by hand (paint brushes). Finish was not important, more important, the frame was sealed.. and it turned out quite well.

Cheers
Christopher