Frame painter recommendations

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff Kwapil, Feb 2, 2003.

  1. Jeff Kwapil

    Jeff Kwapil Guest

    My trusty Trek 420 has more than its share of scratches. I may have it repainted.

    If you had an excellent frame-finishing experience, please post contact info for those responsible.

    A couple that have been recommended to me:

    Joe Bell Bicycle Refinishing 3735 Kenora Dr., Suite C Spring Valley, CA 91977
    (619) 469-4312 http://www.campyonly.com/joebell.html

    CyclArt 2590 Pioneer Ave. Suite A Vista, CA 92083-8427. Phone 760-599-1015. Fax 760-599-1017
    http://www.cyclart.com

    Tags:

  2. Wayne Pein

    Wayne Pein Guest

    Jeff Kwapil wrote:

    > My trusty Trek 420 has more than its share of scratches. I may have it repainted.
    >
    > If you had an excellent frame-finishing experience, please post contact info for those
    > responsible.
    >
    > A couple that have been recommended to me:
    >
    > Joe Bell Bicycle Refinishing 3735 Kenora Dr., Suite C Spring Valley, CA 91977
    > (619) 469-4312 http://www.campyonly.com/joebell.html
    >
    > CyclArt 2590 Pioneer Ave. Suite A Vista, CA 92083-8427. Phone 760-599-1015. Fax 760-599-1017
    > http://www.cyclart.com

    These painters do heirloom quality work, and that may be overkill from both and aesthetic and
    monetary perspective for your "trusty" bike. I would consider having it powdercoated, which is
    allegedly a more durable coating. There are several websites that do bicycle specific powdercoating,
    but you might have a generic powdercoater in your area that could do it too.

    Here's one that is not bicycle specific, but does bicycles pretty cheaply.

    http://www.procoatings.com/

    Wayne

  3. Jeff Kwapil

    Jeff Kwapil Guest

    I wish to repaint my 1988 Trek 420.

    Are decals available? I hate to say, but Trek did not reply to my email.

    Love Trek bikes, Jeff

    news:pXf%[email protected]...

  4. In article <kuh%[email protected]>, Jeff Kwapil <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I wish to repaint my 1988 Trek 420.
    >
    >Are decals available? I hate to say, but Trek did not reply to my email.

    For almost any bike manufacturer, the best way to find out about decals is:

    1. Ask a dealer to ask the mfr.
    2. Ask a bike painter

    The very worst way to get anything from a bike manufacturer is probably email. A few do it well, a
    few are hit or miss, the rest don't care and do not consider it a support channel for customers at
    all. I think Trek is in the "hit or miss" category. Sometimes they do OK, other times black hole.

    --Paul

  5. On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 17:24:11 -0500, Wayne Pein wrote:

    > Jeff Kwapil wrote:
    >
    >> My trusty Trek 420 has more than its share of scratches. I may have it repainted.

    > These painters do heirloom quality work, and that may be overkill from both and aesthetic and
    > monetary perspective for your "trusty" bike. I would consider having it powdercoated, which is
    > allegedly a more durable coating. There are several websites that do bicycle specific
    > powdercoating, but you might have a generic powdercoater in your area that could do it too.

    I agree. I had my 30-year-old track bike powder-coated, and was amazed with the results. They can do
    great things with powder-coat. Find a shop that does motorcycles and similar stuff locally. They
    will be very good with the details. I had the frame powder-coated, and fork chromed, for $150.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but _`\(,_ | what canst thou say?
    -- George Fox. (_)/ (_) |

  6. Andy M-S

    Andy M-S Guest

    "David L. Johnson" <David L. Johnson <[email protected]>> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 17:24:11 -0500, Wayne Pein wrote:
    >
    > > Jeff Kwapil wrote:
    > >
    > >> My trusty Trek 420 has more than its share of scratches. I may have it repainted.
    >
    > > These painters do heirloom quality work, and that may be overkill from both and aesthetic and
    > > monetary perspective for your "trusty" bike. I would consider having it powdercoated, which is
    > > allegedly a more durable coating. There are several websites that do bicycle specific
    > > powdercoating, but you might have a generic powdercoater in your area that could do it too.
    > >
    > I agree. I had my 30-year-old track bike powder-coated, and was amazed with the results. They
    > can do great things with powder-coat. Find a shop that does motorcycles and similar stuff
    > locally. They will be very good with the details. I had the frame powder-coated, and fork
    > chromed, for $150.

    I'll add to the agreement. www.spectrumpowderworks.com does remarkable work--my Bianchi came back
    looking more celeste than ever before, and the lugs show up very, very nicely. If I ever have a bike
    custom built, I might very well have Spectrum do the paint job...

  7. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Wayne Pein <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > These painters do heirloom quality work, and that may be overkill from both and aesthetic and
    > monetary perspective for your "trusty" bike. I would consider having it powdercoated, which is
    > allegedly a more durable coating. There are several websites that do bicycle specific
    > powdercoating, but you might have a generic powdercoater in your area that could do it too.
    >
    > Here's one that is not bicycle specific, but does bicycles pretty cheaply.
    >
    > http://www.procoatings.com/
    >
    > Wayne

    I'd be a little leary of using a powdercoater who didn't do bicycles on a regular basis. I've seen
    some *bad* powdercoat jobs on bicycles.

    If you're near Portland, OR, Class Act does a lot of production work for major & minor
    manufacturers:

    Class Act Paint & Powder Inc 8700 NE Columbia Bv Portland, OR 97220-1329
    (503) 254-6400

    If you want an upscale paint job (probably overkill for an old Trek...), Acme is it: Acme Paint Shop
    1640 Se 10th PORTLAND, OR 97214-3519
    (504) 238-0829

    Jeff

  8. Wayne Pein

    Wayne Pein Guest

    Andy M-S wrote:

    > I'll add to the agreement. www.spectrumpowderworks.com does remarkable work--my Bianchi came back
    > looking more celeste than ever before, and the lugs show up very, very nicely. If I ever have a
    > bike custom built, I might very well have Spectrum do the paint job...

    I'm thinking about a new custom steel frame and have begun the preliminary search process. A couple
    of builders I'm interested in do paint, but I would much rather have powdercoat. I haven't asked
    them, but I'm wondering the likelihood of working out a deal.

    Wayne

  9. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Joe Bell Bicycle Refinishing 3735 Kenora Dr., Suite C Spring Valley, CA 91977
    >(619) 469-4312 http://www.campyonly.com/joebell.html
    >
    >CyclArt 2590 Pioneer Ave. Suite A Vista, CA 92083-8427. Phone 760-599-1015. Fax 760-599-1017
    >http://www.cyclart.com

    Add Brian Bayliss to that list and you have some top notch and potentially expensive painters. These
    guys are "the best." (I am sure there are others equally good but there are reasons that builders
    ship bikes to Joe Bell from the east coast.)

    I agree Powder Coating would probably be best for the Trek in question because of the cost, I just
    had a frame powder coated for that reason.

    But I think that in terms of durability and appearance, a paint job from any of these guys with a
    clear coat will be superior to a Powder coat. And of course, there is that something about a top
    notch paint job that just cannot be duplicated.

    CyclArt does do powder coating so if you are in the area that is one way to go to make sure you do
    get a good job.

    Also, both CyclArt and JB and probably Bayliss have decals for many bikes.

    jon isaacs

  10. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    Cyclesmith in the San Diego area is another good option. They recently repainted my Masi
    *perfectly*. It helps that they were the factory painter for Masi during all the California years.
    :) BTW the cost was less than 1/2 of what Cyclart quoted me for the same job.

    Phone # is 760-746-2522.

  11. Jeff: Normally, decals & paint are only kept around for a couple of years, but your best bet would
    be to go to your LBS and, assuming they sell TREK (or Klein or LeMond or Fisher), have them call
    their inside sales rep and see if the decals are available. I wouldn't be too hopeful though! But
    while you're at the shop, you might check out the decals on current TREK bikes and see if there are
    any that might look nice on your bike, as they *could* order those for you.