Frame painter recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Drew Knox

Looking for recommendations for a frame painter, especially one with a website and picture gallery.
Strongly prefer an elegant, classic look with a little flair to crazy colors and patterns.

TIA, Drew

>Looking for recommendations for a frame painter, especially one with a website and picture gallery.
>Strongly prefer an elegant, classic look with a little flair to crazy colors and patterns.
>
>TIA, Drew

I know of three choices you have:

1. Joe Bell, someone else has provided you with a link. He's probably your man, does great work and
can do the classic, the fantastic or anything in between.

2. Cyclart. Certainly strong on the classic and restorations, can do the fantastic as well.
www.cyclart.com

3. Brian Bayliss. A bit of a maverick, he is renown as both a frame builder and painter. If I
remember correctly, he actually taught Joe Bell to paint. He is also in the San Diego-Orange
County Area. I can still remember the first Brian Bayliss bike I ever saw, the paint was classic
with pin stripping, two tones of purple, so simple but I still remember that bike.

Here is an excerpt from a classic cycling web page:

(http://www.cyclingutah.com/april/april98/classapr.htm)

"As with any used item, value is determined by what someone is willing to pay more so than by what
is being asked by the seller. There are exceptions in the case of very rare and collectible bikes,
such as very early Cinelli. Masi, and DeRosa (50s and 60s era). These have a value that does not
really fluctuate because there is a national market for them. Even further down this path of
collectibility are bikes from Rene Hearse, Alex Singer, Hetchins, Brian Bayliss and Mario Confente.
The value of these bikes, as with any rare art, continues to climb regardless of trends, and each
would warrant a dedicated feature for proper representation. We will focus on more common and
available classics for this feature."

WOW, such company, Singer, Hetchins, Rene Hearse.

I have no idea how to run him down, I heard he was in Dana Point a couple of years ago. Maybe Joe
Bell or Jim Cunningham at CyclArt know where he is.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Drew Knox" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Looking for recommendations for a frame painter, especially one with a website and picture
> gallery. Strongly prefer an elegant, classic look with a little flair to crazy colors and
> patterns.

Chris Kvale in Minneapolis- a meticulous craftsman of wonderful frames and an excellent painter.
There's a section on him at www.velostuf.com

>From: "Drew Knox"

>Strongly prefer an elegant, classic look with a little flair to crazy colors
and patterns.

You can also try a good custom auto or motorcycle paint shop.

Sig Chicago

"Drew Knox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Looking for recommendations for a frame painter, especially one with a website and picture
> gallery. Strongly prefer an elegant, classic look with a little flair to crazy colors and
> patterns.
>
You don't say where you are located, but in the San Francisco Bay Area, check out Ed Litton. He does
excellent work and either still does or did all OE repair work for Bianchi USA. A few years ago, Ed
painted my friend's 1983 Bianchi and not only painted it the correct shade of celeste, he also had
all the appropriate stickers, including a very hard to find Reparto Corsa one...Here's a link with
pictures and info about him: http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Ed_Litton.htm

"Drew Knox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> patterns.
>
> TIA, Drew

"Elegant and classic" and "crazy colors and patterns" would seem to be opposites. You'll probably
have to find someone and then figure out exactly what you want.

Acme Paint used to do work for Match and other builders. They do Vanilla Bicycle's paint work:
http://www.vanillabicycles.com/

Acme Paint Shop 1640 Se 10th Portland, OR 97214-3519
(503) 238-0829

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.