Frame Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eric Hirsch

I'm a very happy Rans Stratus owner. However, the paint job leaves a lot to be desired. Barely
touching it gets you down to bare metal. Does anyone out there have experience with a good frame
painter that won't break the bank? I don't mind shipping outside of New England.

Eric Hirsch Rhode Island

Eric, When you find someone to shoot it, you can save a bundle by disassembling and preping the frame yourself. I use a small bottle of propane w/torch tip , and a wire brush. Heat small areas until the paint starts to soften and bubble, then swip it with the wire brush. This is very effective at the joints so do them first. Be sure to wear protective glasses and leather gloves.

http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/index.htm

They do really good work but aren't cheap. Bob

"Eric Hirsch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm a very happy Rans Stratus owner. However, the paint job leaves a lot to be desired. Barely
> touching it gets you down to bare metal. Does anyone out there have experience with a good frame
> painter that won't break the bank? I don't mind shipping outside of New England.
>
> Eric Hirsch Rhode Island

Eric,

Look in your Yellow Pages for a powder coater. They might be under "electrostatic coating." I just
had my V-Rex frame done for $60.00, including a clear powder coat on top.

Some places will also prep the frame, but it's better to do it yourself - they will sandblast, which
might do Bad Things to the frame.
--

John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
_________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

Bruce at The Color Factory in Waretown, NJ does a reasonable job at a reasonable price. Turn around
is faaast. He does only IMRON but will paint any imron color you want, all he needs is the number.
He uses beadblast to remove the paint, does not damage the frame and for 10 bucks who would wanna
strip it themselves. Imron does chip easily if not done properly. The frames I have had Bruce do
have been done properly. I have had a local body shop paint a frame and the job sucked..Why? Round
tubes are not as easy to do as flat surfaces. Runs! If you have a local motorcycle shop that paints
thats where I'd go. If you want the most durable finish go for powdercoat however the powdercoat
process is more involved than other finishes and thus usually more expensive. However, the Color
Factory can give you a nice job, beadblast, prime, imron and clear coat for around 100 bucks. ould
be a bit more since the Stratus is larger.

Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sports,
Inc 1-800-586-6645 "John Foltz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Eric,
>
> Look in your Yellow Pages for a powder coater. They might be under "electrostatic coating." I just
> had my V-Rex frame done for $60.00, including a clear powder coat on top.
>
> Some places will also prep the frame, but it's better to do it yourself - they will sandblast,
> which might do Bad Things to the frame.
> --
>
> John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
> _________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

>John Foltz at [email protected] wrote: Look in your Yellow Pages for a powder coater. They might
>be under "electrostatic coating." I just had my V-Rex frame done for $60.00, including a clear
>powder coat on top.
>
> Some places will also prep the frame, but it's better to do it yourself - they will sandblast,
> which might do Bad Things to the frame.

If you can get " hot" powdercoating you will get great binding to the metal. Since this is quality
'painting' expect to pay a premium price.

Jay wrote:
>
> If you can get " hot" powdercoating you will get great binding to the metal. Since this is quality
> 'painting' expect to pay a premium price.

If turnaround time is not important, a better price can usually be had if one is will to wait until
several other items are being done in a batch in the color you want.

Unlike wet spray painting, powder coating has the advantage of not releasing significant quantities
of volatile organic compounds into the atmosphere.

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Status
Not open for further replies.