Frame Powder Coating

"Robert Gotsch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Looking for low cost powder coating.

Exclusive Powder Coating gave me a very low quote on bike frame and component powder coating a
couple of years ago. I think they said $50 to $60 for a frame, and ~$20 for additional components
such as cranks, handlebars, etc. Prices may have gone up a bit since then. The price includes media
blasting to strip off the old paint; but does not include application of decals (they probably don't
do that sort of thing; but you can ask).

Exclusive has a large catalog of paint color chips on their website. The person who contacted me
said they're happy to do custom work for individuals. Not all powder coating houses will do small
custom jobs. I'm thinking of sending a few frames to them this fall (after riding season is over :)

I think it would be pretty trick to have crankarms, handlebars, stem, fork, frame and even the rims
color-matched.

Here's the URL:

http://www.e-powdercoating.com/index.html

Barry

I had my roof rack bars powder coated by Powder Vision and they are located outside of Seattle,
Washington. I'm not sure what the cost of preparing and coating a frame would be, but I think it
depended on the brand of finish selected, which included color selection and finish (i.e. matte,
semi, glossy).

Their web site is: http://www.powdervision.com/

"Robert Gotsch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Looking for low cost powder coating.

In article <[email protected]>,
B. Sanders <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Robert Gotsch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Looking for low cost powder coating.
>
>Exclusive Powder Coating gave me a very low quote on bike frame and component powder coating a
>couple of years ago. I think they said $50 to $60 for a frame, and ~$20 for additional components
>such as cranks, handlebars, etc. Prices may have gone up a bit since then. The price includes media
>blasting to strip off the old paint; but does not include application of decals (they probably
>don't do that sort of thing; but you can ask).
>
>Exclusive has a large catalog of paint color chips on their website. The person who contacted me
>said they're happy to do custom work for individuals. Not all powder coating houses will do
>small custom jobs. I'm thinking of sending a few frames to them this fall (after riding season
>is over :)
>
>I think it would be pretty trick to have crankarms, handlebars, stem, fork, frame and even the rims
>color-matched.

Braking on the powdercoated surface of the rim is not the best idea. I know people who have done
that and found that it made a poor braking surface and squealed like crazy. I assume that's why
powdercoated rims generally have a machined sidewall.

You can pretty easily powdercoat the spokes though, just thread nipples on before powder coating.
You can suspend them by taking an old hub shell, cut it in half in the center, install all the
spokes through the spoke holes, thread the nipples on and then hang the half-hub in the air with a
piece of wire to apply the finish. You could assemble them that way and ship to the powder coater.

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:31:08 +0000, B. Sanders wrote:

> "Robert Gotsch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Looking for low cost powder coating.
>
> Exclusive Powder Coating gave me a very low quote on bike frame and component powder coating a
> couple of years ago. I think they said $50 to $60 for a frame, and ~$20 for additional components
> such as cranks, handlebars, etc.

That is a good price. I spent more ($100 for the frame, plus $50 to have the fork chromed), but like
the result.
--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you _`\(,_ | killed all of us?
From every corner of Europe, hundreds, (_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places.
Even Nazis can't kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:aZ%Ia.36052$A%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> B. Sanders <[email protected]> wrote:
> >"Robert Gotsch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> Looking for low cost powder coating.
> >
> >Exclusive Powder Coating gave me a very low quote on bike frame and component powder coating a
> >couple of years ago. I think they said $50 to $60 for a frame, and ~$20 for additional components
> >such as cranks,

> >I think it would be pretty trick to have crankarms, handlebars, stem,
fork,
> >frame and even the rims color-matched.
>
> Braking on the powdercoated surface of the rim is not the best idea. I know people who have done
> that and found that it made a poor braking surface and squealed like crazy.

Um, actually, I was thinking of using the rims with *disc* brakes, not rim brakes. I'm sure you're
right about powdercoating not being a very good braking surface.

> You can pretty easily powdercoat the spokes though, just thread nipples on before powder coating.
> You can suspend them by taking an old hub shell, cut it in half in the center, install all the
> spokes through the spoke holes, thread the nipples on and then hang the half-hub in the air with a
> piece of wire to apply the finish. You could assemble them that way and ship to the powder coater.

Great idea! It would be pretty sweet to have a completely color-matched bike (within limits,
of course).

Barry

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:09:59 -0400, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:31:08 +0000, B. Sanders wrote:
>
>> "Robert Gotsch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Looking for low cost powder coating.
>>
>> Exclusive Powder Coating gave me a very low quote on bike frame and component powder coating a
>> couple of years ago. I think they said $50 to $60 for a frame, and ~$20 for additional components
>> such as cranks, handlebars, etc.
>
>That is a good price. I spent more ($100 for the frame, plus $50 to have the fork chromed), but
>like the result.

In the same vein, I had a bike powder coated recently and have added some decals to it. Has
anybody added a clear coat to their powder coat? Any recommendations as to what type of clear coat
to add? I note that CycleArt does this, and they use a urethane coat. Has anyone used another type
of clear coat?
- --
Anthony Leverock