Frame Pump Question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kerry Nikolaisen, May 18, 2004.

  1. Hey folks hope you can help me with this.

    When I purchased my road bike in 1999, I also purchased a Topeak Einstein
    Mini-pump. The bracket to hold this pump is tightened down by the water
    bottle cage screws. The pump is "clipped" into its plastic holder on the
    left side of the downtube.

    The problem is that the head of the pump, which must be at the top (or it
    won't clip in properly) turns as I ride. The rougher the pavement, the more
    often it turns and, thus, contacts the downtube. Over three years it has
    scratched an area just less than the size of a penny.

    Eventually I want to touch this area up, but first I am hoping for a
    solution to the pump problem (aside from replacement). (Actually - the pump
    is one of the best small size pumps I have ever had.

    Thanks for your comments.

    Kerry L. Nikolaisen

    >Hey folks hope you can help me with this.
    >
    >When I purchased my road bike in 1999, I also purchased a Topeak Einstein
    >Mini-pump. The bracket to hold this pump is tightened down by the water
    >bottle cage screws. The pump is "clipped" into its plastic holder on the
    >left side of the downtube.
    >
    >The problem is that the head of the pump, which must be at the top (or it
    >won't clip in properly) turns as I ride. The rougher the pavement, the more
    >often it turns and, thus, contacts the downtube. Over three years it has
    >scratched an area just less than the size of a penny.
    >
    >Eventually I want to touch this area up, but first I am hoping for a
    >solution to the pump problem (aside from replacement). (Actually - the pump
    >is one of the best small size pumps I have ever had.

    Wrap a rubber band around the hear. Better yet, cut a section of an old
    tube and use that.
    ----------------
    Alex

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:17:19 -0500, "Kerry Nikolaisen" <f o u r n i
    k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t> wrote:
    >The problem is that the head of the pump, which must be at the top (or it
    >won't clip in properly) turns as I ride. The rougher the pavement, the more
    >often it turns and, thus, contacts the downtube. Over three years it has
    >scratched an area just less than the size of a penny.
    >
    >Eventually I want to touch this area up, but first I am hoping for a
    >solution to the pump problem

    Put a tube patch on the frame where the pump meets it...protects
    both the frame and the pump from abrasion.

    Maybe a rubber band can hold the head in place.
    --
    Rick Onanian