Frame Pump ratings...

Ajames54™

Guest
Is there anyone who makes available any sort of rating system for frame or mini - pumps?

I had a print-out years ago that listed Max pressure and number of strokes required (assuming a
standard tire size) for a variety of different pumps...

It was quite interesting... and I would love an updated version...

ajames54™ <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> Is there anyone who makes available any sort of rating system for frame or mini - pumps? I had a
> print-out years ago that listed Max pressure and number of strokes required (assuming a standard
> tire size) for a variety of different pumps...

I've seen ratings like that in some of the bike catalogs. I don't trust them, though.

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 21:23:45 +0000, Ken wrote:

> ajames54™ <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>> Is there anyone who makes available any sort of rating system for frame or mini - pumps? I had a
>> print-out years ago that listed Max pressure and number of strokes required (assuming a standard
>> tire size) for a variety of different pumps...
>
> I've seen ratings like that in some of the bike catalogs. I don't trust them, though.

I don't think they measure the right things. It does not really matter how many strokes, but whether
or not the thing can fill a tire up to a decent pressure without either taking all day, or taking
all your energy.

For my money, the Topeak Road Morph is the best.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or _`\(,_ | that we are to
stand by the president right or wrong, is not (_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is
morally treasonable to the American public. --Theodore Roosevelt

David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:

: For my money, the Topeak Road Morph is the best.

Where and how do you mount the thing on your bike since they don't come with a mounting kit (AFAIK)?

I use a really small but well made SKS pump and it has proven itself a number of times. Admittedly,
I only stuck with the pumping to the point where I figured I could make it home OK - around 65psi -
any more was a bit pointless. I had a situation about a year back when I rode 60ks on about 70psi
from a CO2 cylinder after repairing a flat. So while the correct pressures are reassuring, most
riders can cope with 20% less in an 'emergency'.

Cheerz, Lynzz

"Lindsay Rowlands" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : For my money, the Topeak Road Morph is the best.
>
> Where and how do you mount the thing on your bike since they don't come with a mounting kit
> (AFAIK)?
>
> I use a really small but well made SKS pump and it has proven itself a number of times.
> Admittedly, I only stuck with the pumping to the point where I figured I could make it home OK -
> around 65psi - any more was a bit pointless. I had a situation about a year back when I rode 60ks
> on about 70psi from a CO2 cylinder after repairing a flat. So while the correct pressures are
> reassuring, most riders can cope with 20% less in an 'emergency'.
>
> Cheerz, Lynzz

The Topeak Road Morph I purchased came with a simple yet elegent mounting. It puts one band around
the top tube and has a quick release "button" to remove the pump for use.

I agree with David, this whing works well for me.

David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 02:13:04 +0000, Lindsay Rowlands wrote:

> David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : For my money, the Topeak Road Morph is the best.
>
> Where and how do you mount the thing on your bike since they don't come with a mounting kit
> (AFAIK)?

Mine came with a little bracket that is still working fine. Some people complain about that bracket
breaking easily, but so far, so good.

> I use a really small but well made SKS pump and it has proven itself a number of times.
> Admittedly, I only stuck with the pumping to the point where I figured I could make it home OK -
> around 65psi - any more was a bit pointless.

Huh? 65lbs for most of us (unless that also describes your weight) would also be pointless. That
kind of pressure will produce pinch flats.

I used my pump on a tour last Summer, as my only pump. I can easily, and I really mean it, pump the
tires to 110lbs or more. The gauge on mine is even fairly accurate.

> I had a situation about a year back when I rode 60ks on about 70psi from a CO2 cylinder after
>repairing a flat.

That being a big problem with CO2. When using those, I would have a half-empty cylinder in the
inflator, and use that to get about 30 lbs in the tire. Then I's put in a new cylinder, which would
get me more like 90-100, and would leave quite a bit of gas in the cylinder, that I would save for
next time.

But no matter how you arrange it, with CO2 there is always a limited supply of cartridges. A very
bad day would be made worse by having no way to fill a tire. Pumps are better.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you _`\(,_ | killed all of us?
From every corner of Europe, hundreds, (_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places.
Even Nazis can't kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

Lindsay Rowlands <[email protected]> wrote:
> David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : For my money, the Topeak Road Morph is the best.

I will definitely agree with that sentiment.

> Where and how do you mount the thing on your bike since they don't come with a mounting kit
> (AFAIK)?

I had the mount from another pump that I decided was not cutting the mustard. The mount that came
with the Topeak is not a great design if you have the big ovalized Al tubes. Luckily the mount from
the old pump fit the Road Morph perfectly. So I chucked it in my old pumps mount and it was ducky.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g Those who do not understand Unix are
condemned to reinvent it, poorly. -- Henry Spencer

"David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in news:6dNka.2826$kd1.2875485
@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com:
> The Topeak Road Morph I purchased came with a simple yet elegent mounting. It puts one band around
> the top tube and has a quick release "button" to remove the pump for use.

I also have a Topeak Road Morph. Good pump, but I think the mount really sucks. It's a big piece of
plastic. I mounted the pump on my top tube and the plastic thing keeps hitting my leg. Many people
in my club have the same pump and also hate the mount.

Ken, who has no last name, wrote:

> I also have a Topeak Road Morph. Good pump, but I think the mount really sucks. It's a big piece
> of plastic. I mounted the pump on my top tube and the plastic thing keeps hitting my leg.

Try mounting it under your down tube, if you have the tire clearance. My wife mounted her Road Morph
there, and it doesn't bother her in the least.

rating - Performance sometimes has some numbers listed in their catalog. They show strokes needed to
put a road tire to high pressure and a mtb tire to medium pressure. Of course their brand pumps also
have great numbers.

Your choice of pump depends on what you like the most - ease of pumping to a minimal pressure - 70
is enough for me to get home, but when I'm touring I want full pressure (100 to 110) weight, size,
ease of attachment reliabillity - does it ever fail reusability - CO2 works once, so if you use them
I'd suggest also carring a pump for backup features - pressure gauge / style of valve attachment

for day rides my preference is a cheap, extremely light, short (6") pump which just pushes on the
valve (no thumblock) - Torelli

for touring I use the small Blackburn or Silca

-Bruce

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 05:33:36 +0000 (UTC), Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

>"David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in news:6dNka.2826$kd1.2875485
>@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com:
>> The Topeak Road Morph I purchased came with a simple yet elegent mounting. It puts one band
>> around the top tube and has a quick release "button" to remove the pump for use.
>
>I also have a Topeak Road Morph. Good pump, but I think the mount really sucks. It's a big piece of
>plastic. I mounted the pump on my top tube and the plastic thing keeps hitting my leg.

The only thing that hit my leg was the excess end of the band that goes around the top tube. I
trimmed it off and now there's no problem.

Jon Isaacs wrote:

> A while back I timed myself pumping up a 700C x 23 using a Zefal HPX-4. 135 psi in 60 seconds.

That sounds awesome. I did a search and only found a Zefal HPX-73. It did pump to 135 psi however.
Could that be the same pump in a new wrapper?

--
Perre

Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
>But no matter how you arrange it, with CO2 there is always a limited supply of cartridges. A very
>bad day would be made worse by having no way to fill a tire. Pumps are better.

I think you are missing the correct way to use CO2 cartridges. When the silly things let you down,
remain visible, clutching the offending device in your hand. Within 15 minutes someone with a Zefal
HPX will pass by and mock the inflator you have before blowing up your tyres. :)